Anyone in Brisbane! Come for a ride! Mountain bike peleton!

Dymalla

Likes Dirt
Ok.

Firstly: If anyone really thinks this is a good idea can people tell others about it etc, I want this to be a 50+ person thing. Would be really appreciated =]

The other day when I was riding home on my DH rig a peleton of road cycles road past and I thought "Holy shit, I should organise a DH bike peleton" so yeah.

Yes, its a stupid idea but I think it could be pretty damn fun.

So any Brisbane DH/AM/FR riders who wanna start a peleton up post up in this thread and we will organise a good date for it. Anyone can come, as long as your on a mountain bike. But you cannot, i repeat CANNOT WEAR LYCRA! that would defeat the hole purpose. Also if your planning on bringing an XC rig then be warned you might be a long way infront as lots of people will be on DH rigs too =]

Also its not just gonna be riding around the street, we'll ride up some mountain, yes i said ride... unfortunately.

SO WHOS UP FOR IT?
Cheers

Last edited:

beaty

Likes Dirt
haha umm whats a peleton (spelling). So let me get this straight, you want to organise a group of dh'ers to ride down a mountain .... but on the road?

Andrew22

Likes Bikes
Well, after looking up peleton on google, I would like to participate in this madness, well not so much madness for me as I ride a hardtail. But this does sound like a bit of fun.

Dymalla

Likes Dirt
My username is tripper2 purely because i couldnt think of anything else at the time and it has a ring to it? kind of.

The plan is to get together as a big group somewhere in brisbane and ride up a mountain and go down some tracks, riding up the mountain could be tough except riding down the tracks with lots of people could be fun. A peleton of DH rigs would look awsome in my opinion.

Think about it... Rather then having a massive bunch of road cyclists ride past at 35 - 40km/h wearing tight lycra etc, you see a massive group of DH riders go past at 20 - 30km/h wearing daggy clothes and shin/knee guards, maybe in full faces =)

I think it would be sick, I'm happy about the 2 guys already wanting to come... When we have a fair few people we will all organise a meeting spot and a date that everyone can get to.

So anyone else who is willing to maybe be a little embarrased but still show some DH pride just post up =)
Cheers

Ty

Eats Squid
I reckon your peleton will have a average onroad (uphill) speed of just under walking pace and of course you'd have to do it properly with yourself wearing the maillot jaune so everyone that you convinced to join you would know who to beat up once they have recovered from the minor heart attacks they suffered from cranking DH bikes up hill.

other than that, sounds great.

edit: come to think of it, the concept is already being done by dozens of guys every weekend, expect they have discovered the usefulness of utes and vans for the uphill bits. sorry for being such a grumpy (not so) old bastard

Last edited:

Dymalla

Likes Dirt
I reckon your peleton will have a average onroad (uphill) speed of just under walking pace and of course you'd have to do it properly with yourself wearing the maillot jaune so everyone that you convinced to join you would know who to beat up once they have recovered from the minor heart attacks they suffered from cranking DH bikes up hill.

other than that, sounds great.

edit: come to think of it, the concept is already being done by dozens of guys every weekend, expect they have discovered the usefulness of utes and vans for the uphill bits. sorry for being such a grumpy (not so) old bastard
ahahaha, to tell the truth, im normally one of those getting lifts up the mountain. Last week i did over 120km's of basically just DH, where as dad drove 450km's doing shuttles. It was good though getting back on the bike after being in a cast for 6 weeks of my 8 week holidays when at the age of 15 i could have done much more than sit at home for 6 weeks. Excuse me if theres some F-ed up spelklking above, im wearing my new gloves trying to stretch them out abit.

personally i hate uphill on DH rigs but with a huge group of people it wouldnt be too bad, especially if you knew you were the one who organised it. I wouldnt blame anyone for pushing there rig either, i imagine i might be pushing after a while too =]

COMMON PEOPLE! DH PELETON!

Ty i think you should come :p

Wow this sounds like an awesome way to piss motorists/pedestrains off break some laws and ride downhill bikes where they shouldn't be ridden. If this goes ahead I hope the full force of the fun police jump on you and mangle your bikes.

dont do it it's just fucken stupid

niki125

Likes Dirt
i like it!

my first reply for a post, yay. i'm keen as mustard. sounds like a riot. the full faces and shin guards sound like a must, and even though i ride hookworms on the street i think slicks shouldn't be allowed, 40 sets of knobs buzzing past on the bitumen would be a great sound. starting at the top of Mt Coothar and riding into the city along milton or corro would be a great route i think:confused:. on a Saturday or Sunday morning then onto a posh cafe to have a coffee and sh*t up the road riders:D.
get into it. it's gold, great idea

Viv92

Eats Squid
If your running any sort of mildly high gearing I really don't like your chances of getting up any proper hills... especially since lots of the guys probably haven't ridden up a hill at a decent pace at any point in their lives. :p

Could be funny though, make sure you get pics. :)

Good luck guys, sounds exciting, in a similar way that heart attacks are exciting.

blackjack

Likes Bikes and Dirt
why dont you all push to the top of cootha, seriously it doesnt take that long, 20 mins mabey, i used to do it all the time untill i got a licence haha, but it sounds like a good idea, a good excuse for me to get the 46 tooth chain ring out ive never used and hit silly speed down cootha

Viv92

Eats Squid
why dont you all push to the top of cootha, seriously it doesnt take that long, 20 mins mabey, i used to do it all the time untill i got a licence haha, but it sounds like a good idea, a good excuse for me to get the 46 tooth chain ring out ive never used and hit silly speed down cootha
Which top of Coot-tha are you talking about?

Ridding an XC bike to the top would take MUCH longer than that.

Dymalla

Likes Dirt
Pushing to Channel 9 up Coot-tha would take a good 30 - 40 minutes, depends on the parts we ride or not but from channel 9 down are where i think the best choices of tracks are at coot tha.

Ok so whos in so far? I've got to start a list up...

Its good to see people are now having the same state of mind as me =)
PJ you better come.

This will probably be happening within the next 2 months though as I want there to be over 30 people in it =)

COMMON JOIN IN!

Wow this sounds like an awesome way to piss motorists/pedestrains off break some laws and ride downhill bikes where they shouldn't be ridden. If this goes ahead I hope the full force of the fun police jump on you and mangle your bikes.

dont do it it's just fucken stupid
Hmm, Its gonna piss a few people off, but only the real tight arses.
I cant see how its gonna break any laws, its just like a road bike peleton, just with big heavy fully suspension beasts making a nice soothing buzzing sound as they go by. I'll laugh if the fun police do get involved though. That would be a tad too far by them =]

Last edited: