Anyone tell me why this crankset is $3000?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I wonder why there are no reviews of the set................ It'd want to come with a built in HD TV and surround sound and a topless servant.

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Built in powermeter by SRM, arguably the best powermeter makers in the world.

Basically, Measures WATTS whilst you ride...accurately.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It has an inbuilt power output meter which sends the data wirelessely to a bike computer
eg Garmin unit (which you have to buy extra)

You can then analyse the data to optimise youre training, compare your power to your GPS
route etc.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
A well-used SRM power meter starts at $1k on ebay - missing parts even.

So $3k for a high end crank with SRM power meter integrated, blah blah... throw in a few acronyms and there's your $3k. Not totally out of the ballpark methinks.
(But no way in hell would I buy it - you could get 10 K-Mart "full sus" bikes for that! :p )

dilstubs

Likes Dirt
A well-used SRM power meter starts at $1k on ebay - missing parts even.

So $3k for a high end crank with SRM power meter integrated, blah blah... throw in a few acronyms and there's your $3k. Not totally out of the ballpark methinks.
(But no way in hell would I buy it - you could get 10 K-Mart "full sus" bikes for that! :p )
Only 10? Huffies are like $150 each...That's still too much!

Purt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you could get 10 K-Mart "full sus" bikes for that! :p )
When you put it into that perspective it actually makes the cranks look quite cheap...

Basically you're either a pro or a numbers nut or both to have to get one of these.

Is this the one which gets data from each leg, or does this only record the overall power?

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Some people take their riding very seriously. It's their choice and it's good that they buy stuff like this as it encourages R&D which filters down to mere mortals in a couple of years.

theMerryPrankster

Likes Dirt
i take it you ride a Huffy from K-mart? cos who would spend more than $100 on a bike...thats just crazy!
There's a world of difference between being willing to spend more than $100 on your bike, and spending $3k on high-end equipment that I would wager good money that no-one in this thread (probably even the forum) is likely to ever need.

dunndog

Eats Squid
That is just ridiculous. But I guess there's always someone with too much money and who likes the technical gadgetry associated with riding more than the purity of it that will buy these kind of things...
Train hard Lance

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What? I own a GT DHI, And an SE filth flyer that's been upgraded quite Heavily...
Obviously not upgraded heavily enough, you don't have those cranks...;)

and you do realise you could buy a car for what that GT cost...

scuba05

Likes Dirt
I love it how it doesnt even include the cycle computer, which has to be bought separatly, so add on a few hundred more.