Are Race Entries costing too much?

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As a general rule, I find multi-lap enduro events tend to offer much better value than point to point races. That said, even in the private promoters realm their is some great value for money eg Rocky Trail Entertainments MTB Cruise 100 miler $80 last year! You can race their 8 hour solos for something like $75. Given the choice between a Rocky Trail event and one off the 'big' races, I know where I'll be!

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I could be very wrong,
I'm pretty sure some of the entry fee goes to the state forest / nsw parks and wild life, I think they ask for
+ $30/rider or something like that
Yeah it's generally not quite that much, but it all adds up. it's probably pretty easy to part with $15/head to pay for land managers perhaps more if you're going through more land areas and/or have a particularily annoying land manager. Clubs will always be able to run things cheaper than private promoter. Land managers & Councils alike tend to make concessions for community groups.

add in some of the various comunity groups that help out, VRA, RFS, St Johns, NSW Police if you have road closures, Salaries of other staff, insurance, you can easily see the entry fee disappearing.

IMHO you're better off picking and choosing anyway. Racing every weekend leaves Spoonie something something. Pick a couple you can't miss, a couple you haven't done before and fill the holes as you desire I guess

*shrug*

Cheers
Spoonie

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
A season of footy costs anywhere between $200 and $600 these days.

Mountain bike racing can be done all year round. A year of team sport fees will set you back ~$400-1200

For argument's sake let's say go with a half way figure of $800.

That'll get you MTBA and club rego (say, $200), a season of dirt crits (say 10*$10) a bunch of XCO races, perhaps a few club run marathon events, and you'll have some change left over for a couple of big, privately run races.

You can go and ride your bike wherever you want, pretty much whenever you want, for free.

Cycling can be an expensive sport. It can be very reasonable too.

frensham

Likes Dirt
Could I just add, the percentage of MTBA v's NON MTBA entrants is totally out of proportion. Most seem to only enter a couple of events every year and purchase day licences.
This prevents MTBA from running other programs such as high performance coaching and junior development clinics that other sports throw obscene amounts of money at.

If every club event could fill with MTBA members our sport would be able to achieve far more than it can at present.
And right there is the problem with MTBA. The majority of 'competitors' in an endurance race/ride (such as the recent Highland Fling) aren't really there to 'race' but to do their best time or, in my case, have a fun day out on the bike in like company.
MTBA's sole focus seems to be for the racing elite. All the information I ever receive from them is about a race series here, a race series there and absolutely nothing about simple organised rides or track/trails opening up etc etc. Most MTB riders don't identify with the 'race crowd' and therefore don't see any value for them in MTBA. If MTBA wants to increase its membership then it needs to appeal to the wider range of MTB riders not just racing/coaching/development of elite riders.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Are race entries costing too much? It's awesome to see the rise of mountain bike events poping all over - we are truly lucky in the choices we have. I love the friendly atmosphere these events generate, that binds us all. When I get a flat, riders ask "you okay mate?", when I'm struggling, I hear "keep 'em turning, you're doing well mate" - I love the atmosphere and all you friendly people.

However, the downside is the financial side of entering in so many high quality events. I would love to do the Mont this year, but Capital Punishment, Escape from Cobra, and even the Tathra Enduro is all around that time. I would love to do them all, but I simple cannot afford it. There's a whole year of events to look forward to.

I understand the costs of putting on high quality events and running a business, but spending $$$ in events is becoming too costly for the average weekend warrior/punter like myself. This is especially hard when premium events all coincide in similar times.
Oh quit your whining and put your big girl panties on. Its called "opportunity cost" - basically doing one thing means sacrificing other things.

Its also called "Welcome to the real world" - if you want something you have to save for it. If there are 2 things you want and you can only afford 1, you gotta decide which item you want more, because you can't have both.

Or get a higher paying job ;-)

Hades

Likes Bikes
Irrespective of cost, I would think that the increase in the number of events recently has also played a part in perceptions of value. Where there used to be a couple of big events a year that were all easy to fit into a year, there now seems to be one close to every weekend which means you have to be much more selective in the events you choose to enter. It crept up on me when I kept adding more and more events because there were more available and then I realised how much it was actually costing to race them all. As a result, i've started to be much more selective and only continue to enter either the really good events that I know i'm going to enjoy or a couple of new events that i've never done before. In either case, i'm happy to pay for those cause I know they're gonna be good. For the rest of the time weekend group rides get the job done - and they're free.

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
For argument's sake let's say go with a half way figure of $800.
That's how much each round of the National Series would cost me, then again I guess it would only cost $800 if you lived at Melbourne and ALL the national series were close!

I like the idea of club run event to save some money. The Coffs pleasure and pain is a good example of this. 70ish dollars for entry and they pay out cash to all categories, they arent there to make money. Are there many other 100km events around with such good single track either?

DaGonz

Eats Squid
The Coffs pleasure and pain is a good example of this. 70ish dollars for entry and they pay out cash to all categories, they arent there to make money. Are there many other 100km events around with such good single track either?
Otway?

Cheers
Spoonie

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Race Entry Fees, MTBA, etc ...

Could I just add, the percentage of MTBA v's NON MTBA entrants is totally out of proportion. Most seem to only enter a couple of events every year and purchase day licences. This prevents MTBA from running other programs such as high performance coaching and junior development clinics that other sports throw obscene amounts of money at.
This is always something which has intrigued me. Event at the Scott 24hr, only 18% of the riders were MTBA members. Now, a lot of these may be people new to the sport who subsequently decide to take up membership - but we don't have hard data on that.

The stranger thing is that there are people out there who are not members of MTBA clubs, but pay more each year in day licenses than a membership would cost :confused:

For info, the financial break-even point is just under 6 races per year. So, if you do more than 5 MTBA affiliated races per year, its cheaper to join an MTBA club than to pay day licenses. That ignores the higher level of insurance coverage that you get for being a full member than a day license coverage.

But - I don't want MTBA to be seen as an insurance company - and I don't want it to be seen as a racing organisation either (see next point) ...

MTBA is running things like coaching and development clinics, and we have recently been successful at getting back some high-performance $$ after is was cancelled in Dec 2009. We're not "throwing obscene amounts at it" - but I would love to be able to :)

And right there is the problem with MTBA. The majority of 'competitors' in an endurance race/ride (such as the recent Highland Fling) aren't really there to 'race' but to do their best time or, in my case, have a fun day out on the bike in like company.
MTBA's sole focus seems to be for the racing elite. All the information I ever receive from them is about a race series here, a race series there and absolutely nothing about simple organised rides or track/trails opening up etc etc. Most MTB riders don't identify with the 'race crowd' and therefore don't see any value for them in MTBA. If MTBA wants to increase its membership then it needs to appeal to the wider range of MTB riders not just racing/coaching/development of elite riders.
Totally agree - especially with the last sentence.

OK - there are basically three types of events in Australia:
. Events staged by MTBA affiliated clubs or private promoters (eg local Club races, Scott 24hr)
. Events staged by MTBA directly (eg National Series)
. Events staged by non-affiliated event promoters (eg Highland Fling, Otway Odyssey)

I can see why people might think that MTBA's focus is on the racing elite, but that is because the races that MTBA puts on (visibly) are largely for that group (the Jayco National Series for example). The reason for this is that we need that level of competition at the peak of our sport - but those events actually lose money - so which club or promoter is going to put on a loss-making event? The result is that those events are run by MTBA because no one else will - so that gives the impression that MTBA is about the "racing elite".

In case you're interested, at least one club - CORC - does run a loss-making race, the Easter Solo Only 24Hr. But CORC does that because CORC thinks it is a worthwhile activity in developing the sport.

Lots of other clubs will run loss-making activities, such as social rides, junior days etc, for the same reason - it is good for the sport. And, I am sure that if you did a comprehensive financial analysis which included equipment storage costs, depreciation etc, that many of the club races at about the $5 to $10 entry fee bracket would suddenly turn out to be loss-making events too.

But all of these things, club races, week-day crits, trail rides, social activites, run by affiliated clubs and promoters, are actually MTBA events - they just aren't badged that way. They are badged to the club or affiliated promoter, and I think that is appropriate because they are the ones doing the work to put them on, and people "mentally" join clubs. MTBA provides the structure under which these clubs can operate and their events can be conducted. So, please remember, next time you're riding in one of these, that you are in an MTBA event.

Race Entry Costs

Ultimately the marketplace will decide. The fantastic thing is that there is so much choice out there right now. The value that individual riders associate with a particular event is up to them to determine, and then they make the value-for-money decision. There are great races which cost $10 to enter, and there are great races which cost $1000s to enter. But you will each get different things from those different races, and that is your choice to make.

As RED_RACER has obliquely pointed out, the actual race entry fee is likely to be the single cheapest component of your weekend. Travel, accom, repairs all add up.

The organisation staging an event or race needs to ultimately make money from it. A club will have things it needs to pay for (storage, timing, PA, the club trailer) and a private promoter needs to put bread on the table in addition to this. The club will also have its own aims (junior rider support, womens development etc) which need to be funded.

I might also add that the expectation of riders for event services at major events has gone up over the years. It wasn't too many years ago that there were no showers at races - yet recently at a major race there were heaps of complaints when the shower truck was not open for the full duration of the event. These things cost money, and ultimately it is the riders who pay for them. Want a fright? The cost for toilets and showers at the 2010 Scott 24Hr/World Solos was $22,500 - so there is where $9 of your race entry went :)

Russ Baker
president@mtba.asn.au

Last edited:

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
The latest "newish" event on the road scene is a 24 hour on the road bike.
I'm led to believe that the entry cost is approx $250 for solo plus a $35 day licence if you need one.
Seems we (MTB community) are already too cheap.

Benduro

Likes Dirt
O.K with race entry fees, however being slugged a $20 late fee PER RIDER ($80) when entering as a SINGLE TEAM of 4 riders is a bit rough, especially considering the entry was only 2 hours after deadline (Jeep 24).
Thems the apples I suppose!

.stu.

Likes Dirt
Another one off the top of my head that makes mtb events look good is the Team Degani 3 Peaks Challenge. 230km around the alpine region of Victoria in a single day. Not a race, merely a challenge event so no prizes, only a finishers jersey. Last year cost around $150 which seemed a bit steep but it turned out to be a great ride despite some poor weather and I don't regret forking out that amount. As others have mentioned, with accom, food, travel etc, even that amount of entry fee was quite small in the overall cost of the weekend. Next year the entry will cost $250 for the same event on the same course in the same location with very much similar facilities... and still no prizes. So I've discovered I have better things to do that weekend.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
The latest "newish" event on the road scene is a 24 hour on the road bike.
I'm led to believe that the entry cost is approx $250 for solo plus a $35 day licence if you need one.
Seems we (MTB community) are already too cheap.
anyone nutty enough to ride a roady on a loop for 24hours will pay any fee they ask..

the WSC24 cost nearly $400.. I thought that was excessive but it was a once off thing!

my thoughts about all this is as a "racer" - the cost is the cost.. but I can see the recreational rider starts to question the value which ironically, its the recreational riders that are driving the price up :)

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think its really around the number of events we'd all like to do. I'm a mug punter rider, I ride to challenge myself, finish, and have a day out with my mates. When I look at the cost of events on their own I don't see an issue, for example I'm happy with $125 for the Otway Odyssey as I see the value consistently through out the event, great signage, support, logistics, just a really well run event. I would hope the local Forrest MTB club sees a bit of that or some run off benefit (although I have no idea, just hoping). I also think the cost of clubbies is great, the inter winter series in Vic was terrific value and I think would have got a lot of people into it.

But add a few of these up you're dropping some decent coin so I get what you are saying. Maybe get more behind the club scene where the costs are lower and you're helping a group of dedicated like minded punters.

tate6969

Likes Bikes
road crits cost about the same as a club xc race, expect road crits hand out prize money to place getters.

do they do that at xc club races?

spikenet

Likes Dirt
road crits cost about the same as a club xc race, expect road crits hand out prize money to place getters.

getting a bit off-topic but;

at our local clubs the road racing is cheaper (per race) and the road club gives generous prizemoney for top 4 places. Its only this season our MTB club offered discount entry to the next race for top 3 places after some of us suggested it to get more numbers involved.

Also, the road club has weekly events, the MTB once monthly and not all-year round. Road club has weekend training + social rides etc also

now I'm a MTB racer at heart but racing the roady offers far more opportunities!

bunchie34

Likes Dirt

Down at Westgate Dirt Crits, A grade places 1-3 get a bit of prize money, B and C grade places 1-3 get a lube/tube/tyre levers type prize.

tate6969

Likes Bikes
all the more reason to train harder! as the great man once said, we're not here to wear tread off our tyres.

Agree with those that think enduros have got too expensive. After years of enjoying mtb enduros, im voting with my wallet and leaving my spot to those who want it more and are prepared to fork out the coin!
Looks like local SCUM races only for me from now on with maybe one enduro a year. Although I thought the Chocolate foot series was fair value.
Nobody seems to have brought up the issue of kids. My question is this, How can any parent encourage the kids to get into mtb enduros when they have to mortgage the house to do so?
I dont think im a total tightarse, but im sorry, I cant agree with those that imply that $100+ is good value for a 100k ride. It simply isnt!
Although demand says Im wrong. So for all those prepared to pay it, enjoy your riding, mtb is a great sport and activity, and there is a great atmosphere at all the events.
For those that think its a bit too expensive, come down the south coast, stop off at the local tourist information centre, fill a plastic bag full of useless shit that youll probalby never read again, and head into our local forests for some great trail riding.
If you go hard enough, youll still have the opportunity to break a leg.:rolleyes: