AM As Arni said, 'One Ugly MOFO' - Polygon's Smashed Crab

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
So I have been in the market for a new bike for some time now. I test rode a bunch, liked a few, hated a couple and loved two. So how did I end up with a bike that even I admit makes me puke a little when I look at it? It all came down to the test ride and bang for buck. I picked it up cheap - in fact so cheap if I end up giving in to the optically induced nausea and decide to buy another frame I probably still end up in front...

I test rode the EX8 earlier in the year and it was just insanely fun. I don't tend to do shuttles anymore, so something with the ability to ride up and smash down was on the cards. I have previously owned a Canfield One and this bike pedals better and had more stability coming down.

Is it really ugly? Yes. But then realistically, if I park it in the same spot at home I can close my eyes when I walk up to it and all I will see is the top tube, which is not that ugly at all. Instead I will make others puke as I ride past them and I kind of like that.

It arrived only 20 minutes before I had to ride to work - so no full pictures of the beast until it gets built tomorrow

Frame - POLYGON XSQARONE EX9, NAILD R3ACT 2PLAY SUSPENSION ACX, 180MM TRAVEL, BOOST
Rear shock - FOX FACTORY FLOAT X2, E2E 230MM X 65MM, 180mm Travel
Front shock/fork - FOX FACTORY 36 FLOAT, 180MM TRAVEL, BOOST FIT4 3-POS LEVER W/ ADJUSTER,
Handlebars - RACE FACE NEXT R 35, CARBON W-780MM R-20MM
Stem - RACE FACE TURBINE R, ALLOY E-50MM R-0DEGREE
Headset - FSA ORBIT C-40/48-CF-ACB
Grips - Not sure - I did not get the chance to unwrap the bars yet - but I bet they are UGLY
Saddle - ENTITY ASSAULT W/ CRMO RAIL
Seatpost - KS LEV SIO, TRAVEL 150MM
Front brake - SRAM GUIDE ULTIMATE
Rear brake - SRAM GUIDE ULTIMATE
Cranks - SRAM XX1 EAGLE 12-SPEED 32T NARROW-WIDE BOOST,175MM
Chainguide -
Bottom Bracket -
Chain
- SRAM XX1 EAGLE 12-SPEED
Pedals - CRANK BROTHERS MALLET E
Rear derailleur - SRAM XX1 EAGLE 12-SPEED
Rear shifter - SRAM XX1 EAGLE 12-SPEED
Cassette - SRAM XG 1295 EAGLE 12-SPEED 10-50T
Wheelset - E13 TRS R CARBON BOOST
Tyres - SCHWALBE NOBBY NIC, 27.5”X2.60”

Total weight - Not sure - 13Kg something if my bicep curl out of the box was correct
2018-09-20_174301.jpg

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It kind of looks like an ebike with out the motor. It’s ugly as but I also want one. Looking forward to the ride report.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Someone has to get out on the bleeding edge as it's called. If you like the ride and especially if the $$$ was appealing then I say ride on!

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
My wife told me earlier today that it is no uglier than the Honey Badger and look at the chicks he is pulling.... I suppose ugly is in the eyes of the beholder. I work with a bunch of non-riding and riding folk and the reaction is polar opposite. The non-riding folk seem to love it and while those of us that ride joke about it being an ugly ducking.

the things that stress me more are some reports I have heard about stress on the rear shock from the struts not being strong enough... we will wait and see. I am a heavy unit and most of the duallies I have had required a bit of extra care to see them through, so this could be an issue long-term. Despite how it was sourced it has come with a full warranty, so smash away I guess and see if it breaks

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Have seen shots of these before but just read a review.

Sure sounds to be the goods although ugliness comes from many brands these days. Waiting for a ride report now.

BT180

Max Pfaff
I don't mind the looks, but in any case as long as it rides well - that's all that matters. I test rode one last year and it pedalled VERY well for such a long travel bike. Just get rid of those Nobbiy Nics ASAP, as they hold the bike back.

moorey

call me Mia
I think 13kg is a little optimistic....or was that just frame?

Can’t say I’m a fan of the looks, but you don’t hear a bad word about them.

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
First ride reports in:

The first thing I noticed was just how hard it is going back to a long travel monster from a hart tail 140mm whippet (ok - more cattle dog than whippet). It was like I was learning all over again. After six sessions though I felt like I was back to riding with, rather than just on the bike and was now smiling like a 10 year old how has found dad's secret chocolate stash. This bike does do everything that is claimed. It climbs unbelieveably well, which was needed when my new saddle got a case of the crappy manufacturing and completely separated from the rails, and is so solid coming down again that I have already broken all my old times on all my regular runs.

Downsides? I don't know where Polygon is having their saddles made but it was more comfortable sitting on the rails of my now dead WTB Volt than their seat.
Also, it is not only grippy on the deck, it is like trying to get an oil tanker in the air if you want to flick it about. It can get liftoff, but it is like it whines until safely back on the turf where it can stay glued.
Final gripe is the rear swing arm rubs my calves a bit. Not so much as I am losing the grin, but I imagine any future version may trim a bit of space here.

I am picking up my digital scale from the old man tonight so will get a final weight, but if my other scales are right I think 13.9kg running e mallets (this should drop a little with the replacement saddle)

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid
Maybe you can cover it with that vinyl they use to disguise prototype bikes. Then it might fool others into thinking it's a normal bike :D.

Looking forward to the ride report though!

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
Maybe you can cover it with that vinyl they use to disguise prototype bikes. Then it might fool others into thinking it's a normal bike :D.
[\QUOTE]

I have some of that tape from some actual prototyping (vehicles).... I might have to knock up a graphic to see how that will roll.

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
A couple of photos. The rubbing on the swing arm is the only real issue I have had. A set of long spindles for the mallets has solved that one. It has really got me back into riding every day so that is good. Once I have not got 100 jobs to do around the house I will write up something better.

Attachments