Atheist's, what got you to your atheism?

John U

MTB Precision
Atheist's, what got you to your atheism?

I'm interested. We mostly start out believing in something else.

scblack

Leucocholic
We mostly start out believing in something else.
Why would you say that?

Seeing how religions like to get their teeth into brainwashing the young via scripture at schools and various other stuff like parental guidance - beliefs are arguably FED to us all.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I've always understood there are two versions of atheism; one is a total disbelief in any sort of God and the other is a lack of believing in Gods etc.
For me, I was a rude little prick in primary school and after four years in a public school I was put into a Catholic school. I assume it was to improve my behavior and make me pay some more attention. I went to a Catholic secondary school and they really rammed the god message home. I paid attention but have never actually believed in the stories and the notion of Catholicism, it's always struck me as something that requires a person to dedicate their life to a belief that doesn't seem to be a happy existence. Go to church every week, not have sex with beautiful people until you marry them, put some cash in a collection tray, be nice to everyone regardless of their attitude towards you, forgive people who sin..............that's all boring shit that I won't have dictated to me by some imaginary fiction that has no proof of ever existing.
I don't follow the workings of other religions but the notion of condemning a person for being gay is such a horrible thing to make people believe. Honestly, if a person wants to love a person who has the same dangley bits then whoopdy doda? Why should a bearded dude who got high with his mates and told their homies he walked on water have a say in what happens to people in the future? Fuck that shit, that's such a tragic belief and I pity you if you feel otherwise.
I get one shot at this gig. I'm not inclined to be made to believe that I need to be a good boy so I can go to Heaven and do..............whatever you do in heaven. I want to live healthy, I want to live happy. A religion isn't going to bring me that as I'm a realist and am not going to have my life consumed by such a smothering brainwash.
Like I said, I was taught to believe the dribble but never have. It hit home over the course of a few years when I was younger when the religious side of my family suffered losses at the hands of horrible illnesses. These three people; My Nan, My Aunty and Uncle were the kindest and most adorable people in my life and they were ruined by things that were out of their control. They did pray, they asked for the help of a God but believing they had any assistance from the heaven's isn't something I will ever believe.
The other reason I think it's a brainwash is the extreme beliefs of the fuckers who think it's okay to take people down with bombs and terror attacks. That right there, that one notion of a religious existence is one undeniable reason why humans are better off without it. All of it, all religion should be outlawed in schools and races of people. Teach love, preach happiness and stop giving people false hope on things that do not exist in the one life you have.

John U

MTB Precision
Seeing how religions like to get their teeth into brainwashing the young via scripture at schools and various other stuff like parental guidance - beliefs are arguably FED to us all.
Precisely.

When I went through primary school 95% of kids went to the religious education class. I think that has changed significantly these days.

moorey

call me Mia
Atheism is a rejection of a belief in gods. Nothing more. Nothing makes me laugh harder than when Christians think atheists are satanists :drum:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Surprisingly my catholic education made me aetheist. We studied a lot of other religions, not just Christianity and most of us came to the conclusion that men just make crap up and at some point some smart girl managed to come up with the con of a century after she cheated.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Religion is just about fear. Fear of being alone, fear of dying, fear of being meaningless. Religious organisations simply feed on that for power and profit.

Its that simple.

I am perfectly fine being utterly insignificant. The universe not only doesnt care about you, it doesnt have the ability to even think. Your entire existance is the culmination of a series of happy accidents - contratulations. Have fun with it.

climberman

Likes Dirt
I'm an athiest.
Both my parents are as well.
My grandparents on my dad's side too.
I've never believed in any gods and have grown up in a religious-free environment ('nominally' CoE private school high school notwithstanding; Claytons religious).
I'm fact and evidence based.
I've not seen any facts nor evidence that would change that outlook in a hurry.

I'm pretty comfortable in my thinking on this. Having read a few things like Dawkins' God Delusion I found not much in it that was new or revalatory to me.
I've also 'softened' my view on some aspects of Christianity lately, having made a few friends (through work) who are shining examples of what positive religious thinking can be: liberal, compassionate, sharing, inclusive and as a method for progressive social change. A decade ago I would not have had this view. No broad experience with other religions but have friends who are Buddhist and Muslim. I also used to work with a Creationist - we didn't share many social views.
I don't do the prayer shit in Yoga, all that stuff about the Western alternative interest in Eastern mysticism seems like hippy dribble to me (child of reformed hippies).

John U

MTB Precision
Surprisingly my catholic education made me aetheist. We studied a lot of other religions, not just Christianity and most of us came to the conclusion that men just make crap up and at some point some smart girl managed to come up with the con of a century after she cheated.
Me too to some extent. In R.E. I remember being taught about all the Greek gods and Norse gods. "Why would anyone have a god for all these different things?" The train of thought in the class was condescending on these beliefs. Got me questioning the existence of any god at about 8 years old.

I also remember my mum saying to me when I was about 6 "God helps those who help themselves". Being a parent now I can see why she said it. I was probably being lazy and asking her to do something for me which I could have easily done myself. But as a 6 year old I was saying to myself "If I'm helping myself and doing it then when is this god bloke going to turn up and do something for me? I haven't seen him pulling his weight yet".

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Being brought up a Catholic but finding a small book on astronomy when 10 made me think this Catholic stuff is just fairy tales while the universe was awesome and real.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
I was bought up Christian. Went to a Christian school, had lots of Christian friends. Lots of little things combined to push me the other way, but the spark that lit the fire was the hypocrisy I saw so often from Christian people around me. I couldn't understand why if God was supposed to be all about love and forgiveness, that so many of His followers hated so much stuff.

Everything kinda went from there. Couldn't figure out how the music I listened to was 'opening the door to Satan', why something as normal as sex was considered so terrible out of marriage, and the list goes on.

I don't think I ever had a moment where I consciously decided that I didn't believe in God any more, it just kinda happened.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Connected that dots in about grade 3. Easter bunny was not real, santa clause was possible, but I had my suspicions since my mates were getting way better presents than me (Santa is racists?), then when I learned maths I realised that it was physically impossible. Well If Santa was not real then maybe Christmas wasn't either. Also from a young age I had zero tolerance for bs snake oil salesmen religious types. Specifically requested my parent opt out of RE in primary school only to have them send me to a catholic high school because the public ones were too crappy.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't know if i I'm atheist, maybe agnostic (is that the right thing?) I was raised catholic, went to a catholic school from prep to year 12, my mother was the principal of a catholic school (or 2). But I never really believed in any of it... I don't disbelieve, I figure the universe is a pretty big deal that things are possible, but any of the other religons could be right (figure theyre all talking about the same thing anyway), or maybe god is some super advance being/race or maybe there is no god... no idea...don't really care, it's all a big hassle.
I was lucky even though I came from a religous family, we went to church on sundays other than that it was... yeah, be a good person, don't get too fussed about the rest, job done.

I know one family that was freinds with my parents, they were anti religion, kept their kids as far away as possible, all three children grew up to be bonkers religous types as adults.

To me the bible is just a handbook for peopel in the middle ages who don't understand how the world works and need it to be explained ('cause they hadn't invented science yet) so their heads don't explode and a list of consquences so people don't run rampant crime wise; "don't do that becasue when you die you'll go to hell and thet'll be bad...Foreveeeeeer" is worse than "don't do that, it's bad but nothing will happen if you do".