Atherton Tablelands

Asterope

Likes Dirt
Those trails look freaking amazing!! and in my favourite part of the world too... what could be better?

The only problem I can see here is that if I put the bikes in the car and drive up there is no room for the esky and the tent.

*secretly plans another trip up to atherton tablelands for november*

I'm coming up to Cairns from Sydney to visit family and hope to get away to ride Atherton sometime. I'll be up between the 2nd and the 7th if anyone wants to go for a ride. I've been reading this thread and that video of that track looks great!

Cheers,
Ben

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
Got up there today with a mate, how much fun is the new track!!!

Mind you, we only did two runs as we rode up the access road both times (ouch!) after doing a lap track 6 first. Will definately shuttle up next time.

Envious of the the local Atherton folk having those trails in their backyard.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep. Riding up the access road sucks ! Hopefully there will be a few shuttles running tomorrow? Not too keen on earning the turns...LOL.. but:)nono::nono::nono:)

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon with all the guys up there over the weekend that track would have had hundreds of runs down it. I'm sure the off camber sections near the bottom seemed a good idea at the time, but when combined with the poorer soil at the bottom and lots and lots of riders, I think it will need some remedial work very soon.

Blown out already...

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
World Trail have a maintenance contract so no big issue there.
Ridgey is getting some much needed rockwork at the moment.
Yeah saw the boys there on Monday. Not sure why they left the off camber sections at the bottom of Ricochet? I understand that lots of tracks have them as added technical features, but it just doesn't suit the feel of the rest of the track IMO??

Hopefully they will put some berms you can lean into on them...

Austen

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow, just wow
I pity the person who rode thru my 'recycled' sausage and egg muffin going up ridgey didge tho haha

indica

Serial flasher
World Trail said:
Some serious rock work was carried out by the trail team in Atherton last week. Sections of pudgy and spring fed trails have been attacked with tonnes of solid armouring.

World Trail said:
Ryan De La Rue and Tom Evans give the huge stone lounge on Beady Eyes, in Atherton, a mid ride test..

World Trail said:
High above the trailhead in Atherton sits a windswept saddle link amongst the ranges. At this saddle, 7 trails will intersect, enter and exit, through an innovative roundabout. First built by our trail crew at Mt Stromlo, Canberra, this unique design, codenamed "Kookaburras" is currently under construction and is expected to be opened in a few weeks. Once opened, Kookaburras will link Ridgy Didge, Beady Eyes, Bandy Bandy and other trails together, allowing a multiple range of ride choices.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Yeah saw the boys there on Monday. Not sure why they left the off camber sections at the bottom of Ricochet? I understand that lots of tracks have them as added technical features, but it just doesn't suit the feel of the rest of the track IMO??

Hopefully they will put some berms you can lean into on them...
I talked to Glen about this exact issue on Sunday.
He said the off camber sections will stay and are put in for a couple of reasons, one is to put a degree of technicality in to the trail but more importantly to force a slow down in the ride.
He agreed some people don't like it but that the line will blow out and as he put it "make its own way". Some degree of speed control was required at a point where a lot of riders are getting fatigued and they are a very good way to force a reset of speed.
This all translates in to Suck it up princess and learn to ride off camber : ) two off camber corners in 2.7km of awesomeness bermyness is not a high price to pay

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I talked to Glen about this exact issue on Sunday.
He said the off camber sections will stay and are put in for a couple of reasons, one is to put a degree of technicality in to the trail but more importantly to force a slow down in the ride.
He agreed some people don't like it but that the line will blow out and as he put it "make its own way". Some degree of speed control was required at a point where a lot of riders are getting fatigued and they are a very good way to force a reset of speed.
This all translates in to Suck it up princess and learn to ride off camber : ) two off camber corners in 2.7km of awesomeness bermyness is not a high price to pay
Fair enough. We had a couple on Rock and Roll 1 that have evolved into bermed corners anyway from the rut that skidding riders caused.

indica

Serial flasher
Bring it on, more trails for me to ride on my own during the week!

World Trail said:
First photos of another all new trail, leading up over the mountain. Trail 8, codenamed "Bandy Bandy" lifts itself above Ridgy Didge, to sit high over Atherton's city centre. The World Trail crew have been looking for technical features and rock outcrops, as the trail winds it's way up to a soon to be built lookout.
Skill graded as a Blue trail, it has been adjusted and built to feature extra options throughout the entire loop.
The descent will compliment and lengthen the current Ridgy Didge descent. It also opens up another option for a link with Beady Eyes.
Completion is expected within 2 weeks, with an opening not long after signs of good compaction.