Athiests: What will you say if we've got it wrong?

MMelissa

Likes Bikes
I find it amusing that people use religion as an insurance policy against their fear of ending up in hell.

Evolve and embrace your spirituality in a way that feels intuitively 'right' to you. You don't need institutionalised religion to tell you what to do and believe.

I'd be more inclined to embrace 'The Secret' over a relgion anyday... I believe in the laws of attraction and I don't need a big story to explain how that works. It just does.

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
If it was me, i would be more concerend that i was gona go meat satan (himself) i mean im sure hes a nice bloke.

nizai

Likes Dirt
Not sure if anyone here watches the Daily Show, but last week Christopher Hitchens was on there selling his new book, "God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything".

Link to Amazon

I think Hitchens is a partisan hack when it comes to politics and I disagree with him on many levels, but he might have just found common ground with me ;)

Most seem to indicate its a literary and historical perspective, rather than Dawkins science based perspective.

Anyway, im going to hunt down a copy soon.

N

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How about:

"Wow that's a rockin' steel single speed your ridin' there God , come on then, give us a pedal.....oh cool, it's a niner, here, ride my fixie while I ride yours.............oh shit! are you OK?"

Last edited:

TonyG

Likes Dirt
Here is the answer to the Chicken and the Egg debate

A chicken and an egg are lying in bed. The chicken is leaning against the headboard smoking a cigarette, with a satisfied smile on its face.

The egg, looking a bit pissed off, grabs the sheet, rolls over, and says, "Well, I guess we finally answered THAT question.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I find it amusing that people use religion as an insurance policy against their fear of ending up in hell.

Evolve and embrace your spirituality in a way that feels intuitively 'right' to you. You don't need institutionalised religion to tell you what to do and believe.

I'd be more inclined to embrace 'The Secret' over a relgion anyday... I believe in the laws of attraction and I don't need a big story to explain how that works. It just does.
Whats 'The Secret'? My belief system needs an overhaul and this sounds kind of jiggy.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Seriously, you couldn't make it up

I've heard of clutching at straws but this takes the biscuit...

Dinosaurs ride in Noah's Ark at US creation museum

Kentucky
May 28, 2007

LIKE many modern museums, the newest US tourist attraction includes some awesome exhibits — roaring dinosaurs and a life-sized ship.

But only at the Creation Museum in Kentucky do the dinosaurs sail on the ship — Noah's Ark, to be precise.

The Christian creators of the sprawling museum, unveiled at the weekend, hope to draw as many as 500,000 people each year to their state-of-the-art project, which depicts the Bible's first book, Genesis, as literal truth.

While the $US27 million ($A33 million) museum near Cincinnati has drawn snickers from media and condemnation from US scientists, those who believe God created the heavens and the Earth in six days about 6000 years ago say their views are finally being represented.

"What we've done here is to give people an opportunity to hear information that is not readily available … to challenge them that really you can believe the Bible's history," said Ken Ham, president of the group Answers in Genesis that founded the museum.

Here exhibits show that the Grand Canyon took just days to form during Noah's flood, dinosaurs co-existed with humans and had a place on Noah's Ark, and Cain married his sister to people the earth, among other Biblical wonders.

Scientists, secularists and moderate Christians have pledged to protest over the museum's public opening today. A plane trailing a "Thou Shalt Not Lie" banner buzzed overhead during the museum's opening news conference.

Opponents argue that children who see the exhibits will be confused when they learn in school that the universe is 14 billion years old rather than 6000.

"Teachers don't deserve a student coming into class saying 'Gee Mrs Brown, I went to this fancy museum and it said you're teaching me a lie'," Dr Eugenie Scott, executive director of the National Centre for Science Education, told reporters before the museum opened.

A Gallup poll last year showed almost half of Americans believe that humans did not evolve but were created by God in their present form within the last 10,000 years.

Three of 10 Republican presidential candidates said in a recent debate that they did not believe in evolution.

REUTERS
(pinched from The Age)
Dinosaurs.

On the Ark.

I'm speechless...

:confused:

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt
If I was writing the bible I think a crazy boat-builder and his wife rounding up a couple of T-rexes (in the Sinai desert) would have rated a mention.

It blows my mind how many people construct their lives around works of fiction. When I eventually get the time to start my cult (based on the collected works of William S Burroughs and 'Fatherhood' by Bill Cosby) a lot of things are going to change.

scblack

Leucocholic
If I was writing the bible I think a crazy boat-builder and his wife rounding up a couple of T-rexes (in the Sinai desert) would have rated a mention.
Good point.:cool:

Note how these idiots with the museum are presenting the LITERAL truth of the bible - well, EXCEPT the dinosaurs bit...................;)

They are only showing their literal INTERPRETATIONS (of a work of literature).

murrum

Banned
Now this is a real worry:eek::eek: Please report to deprogramming central immediately, your brain is turning to mush.

Drizz

Likes Dirt
Whats 'The Secret'? My belief system needs an overhaul and this sounds kind of jiggy.
The Chasers have an "Interesting" take on this. Something about staring at something long enough and you will have it. Think Chas road tested it with some very interesting result.

Good point.:cool:

Note how these idiots with the museum are presenting the LITERAL truth of the bible - well, EXCEPT the dinosaurs bit...................;)

They are only showing their literal INTERPRETATIONS (of a work of literature).
At least he can't be called a hipocrite. I have more respect for someone that believes the whole hog, than the modern, "fence-sitter" Christians who pick and choose bits of the Bible to suit their own needs.