AtomLab PimpLite, best prebuilt 20mm wheel ever!

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I just weighed my Mavic 823(older lighter version) with DT double butted spokes, Aluminum nipples, and Tune front hub(I thought they were the lightest), and it's 1079 grams. The Atom lab is 989g(claimed, I'll check weight sometime), so even with a Ghetto rim strip(I weighed one of my homemade ones at 65grams), the Atom Lab is still lighter at 1054g than the mavic build, and has straight gauge spokes, and the Ghetto strip can be replaced for a lighter Stans one. I've run the rear rim for 6 months now. with a crack, and flat spot from a bad casing that'd have destroyed any rim, and it still is holding up fine. I can't rate these wheels enough, rear has heaps of clicks. After a year some spokes are snapping, and I'm replacing them with DTs, but still not enough to worry me.If you're after new wheels, check out Atom Labs Pimp Lites. Rims come in many fancy colours too.No I have no affiliation with Atom Lab.

Last edited:

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
+1, I've run Atomlab rims for a while, the pimp and pimplite rims love abuse like 90 degree landings on jumps, and stair hucks on hardtails they just come back for more.... :)

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Just weighed the front, their claimed weight is wrong(or my scales), I got 1034grams:mmph:
So with my Ghetto rim strip, it'd be 1200grams+ rim tape. Still ridiculously light for a built wheel, and with a Stans or American Classic strip, it'd still match my 1079gram 823 build.

Last edited:

Staunch

Eats Squid
I've been running just the rims on 3 different wheels and they've all held up to a heap of abuse.
I've got 2 on my V10 and 1 on the rear of my DJ bike. They're been cased, rim bashed, landed on sideways, crashed, etc and they're all still perfect.
Cheap, stronger, light and come in all sorts of pretty colours, what more could you want?

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any idea how a PRO2 EVO to Pimplite build would go on the scales compared to say, silver deemaxes?
I am running silver Pro2 Evo's on White Pimplites. Love the rims, but havent weighed the wheels as a whole.
Will be at Buller VDHS race this weekend so you can come have a peep if need be.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
theo, you prob didnt get much chance to get a look at the makulu on sunday, but they are proII on 823 with dt comp (double butted) 5 years they have copped abuse not a single problem. the pimplights you know are well constructed, oskar and a few of the 12ie brigade are on them and hold up well. just go the pimplights save a quick buck

Shredden

Knows his goats
Yeah 12ies love Atomlab rims haha.

Even if I was standing 20cm away from your makulu but I couldnt see it through the rain, fog and hail.

Seems to be a lot of love for the pimplites at the minute, going to have a perv at every bike at buller trying to find pimplites.

castlo

Likes Dirt
+1 i run atomlabs, not the pimplites on my rotec and man i cant fault them and they have taken some punishment as i dont ride easy and its a more of a plow bike aswell