Aussies XC Riders Abroad

axie

Likes Bikes
Dan is moving along nicely in 40th after five laps. Chris appears to have fallen off the face of the earth on the second lap.

colesy01

Likes Bikes
Big congrats to Dan finishing in 39th.

Wonder what happened to Chris Jongewaard, the only time I saw him on the coverage, he looked to be riding backwards.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Tops result for Dan though. And Bec Henderson getting another top 10!
Its an awesome ride by Dan.
Whilst I am in no way poo pooing Becs recent rides, its worth just remembering that there are a few U23's missing from her race (which is not the case in the mens division) and riders like Annie Last and Julie Bresset (who goes pretty good) will all come 'down' to U23 for the World Champs.

Either way, its a very successful weekend for Bec and Dan.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
I doubt Julie Bresset would bother with the U23's when she could be Elite World Champion.
I agree. But...a/. I dont think she is allowed to ride Elite Worlds whilst still a U23 (I could be wrong but think they can race WCup for points, but not World Champs) and b/. 'could' be Elite Champ vs 'will' be U23 Champ (barring disaster).

She failed to race U23 last year (through injury) and has marked it out as a goal for this year.
However, her incredible form might change her mind (if she can).

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
Compare that course with the proposed Olympic course.......

makes it look like a city bike path.

Joke of a course (london).

Last nights looked like a ripper course.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Off-topic london olympics

The Olympic course has been built with T.V. coverage in mind - something missing in previous events.

Everyone remembers the exceptional TV coverage from the Laoshan Mountain Bike Course don't they? (Did they even have a camera out there)

The London course may well be crap for the riders, but it will be more spectator and T.V. friendly than previous courses

Bad for the rider - good for the sport

Roland

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt

It is a ripper, was my favourite of my Europe adventures. But it is also pretty wide, smooth, fast and easy except for the spectator drawcard/TV areas. Dual Speed, North Shore, World Class Drop, Wolfs Drop, Snake Pit. It's no harder than Dalby Forrest. It looks good on TV though because so much focus is on Dual Speed and North Shore.

I haven't ridden the London Olympic course but it certainly looks very similar in that there are a few key spectator/TV points that will look good and lots of wide, smooth stuff to allow the strongest rider to win. The fact that the wide, smooth stuff looks like a gravel bike path in the middle of a field instead of hardpack with tree cover makes people want to rip into it.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Here's the view from the very back of a WC from Brian Lopes

[video=youtube;9WbXym917es]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WbXym917es[/video]

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Here's the view from the very back of a WC from Brian Lopes

[video=youtube;9WbXym917es]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WbXym917es[/video]
Awesome - thanks for posting.

I have this 'make it more technical' ringing in my ears, yet this clearly shows a different sort of racing.
I wonder if the quest / push for World Cup and Olympic champions is strong enough that we will ever see XC courses like this in Aus?

Is tech skill what is required to go fast in a race like that?

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
A couple of things
- Camera flattens things heaps.
- half the video is the start loop.

That was Offenburg which is normally a slippy mess of mud & wet roots, seems like they've had a fairly dry spell.

crosser

Likes Dirt
Great video, the only thing missing is the actual sound of the race — I'm sure the language is colourful at the back of the pack...

akashra

Eats Squid
Wow that's a crazy video. You can just tell that even though they look like they're spinning slowly, they're going stupid fast. He must have passed 40 riders by the time he caught Adam Craig, who's not exactly slow either.

Love the effort he goes to bringing the cheats back in line :D

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow that's a crazy video. You can just tell that even though they look like they're spinning slowly, they're going stupid fast. He must have passed 40 riders by the time he caught Adam Craig, who's not exactly slow either.

Love the effort he goes to bringing the cheats back in line :D
and to think people who get off and run up the pinches at Dirt Works get yelled at - and theres people doing it in the World Cup!!!:p

The World Cup must be really difficult for the up and comers - it probably sucks knowing you can absolutely school those around you, except you just get stuck in the traffic and have people cheat like your back in interschool competition or something

fortunately, my days in XCO are well and truely over - I retired after two races :p