Australia Day Long weekend Awaba Bash - CANCELED

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Just a question, I get a feeling that CORC borrow the shuttle trailors from these clubs. Are there enough shuttle trailors in NSCT to cover both this and the Nationals?
Considering the trailers that were to be used at Awaba weren't requested by Corc you'd have to think yes.

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Just a question, I get a feeling that CORC borrow the shuttle trailors from these clubs. Are there enough shuttle trailors in NSCT to cover both this and the Nationals?
Considering those trailers just sat there unused next to the shuttle line last year, I don't think it's a great loss.

It's a real shame MTBA can't pull their heads out of their arses and realise that the people going to Awaba weren't going to Stromlo anyway.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
We were asked for the use of our trailers at the nats, but not until late Thursday night.

The Awaba event was planned the week before and only after we assumed that our trailers would not be required at the nats given that their presence had not been requested so close to the date of the nationals (we had people ready to tow them down on the assumption they were required).

If they had been booked, the Awaba event would not have been planned.

In speaking to CORC, I understand that they have "got enough buses and trailers to get folks up the hill in good numbers".

sammydog

Just got word from the build crew today that the last of the major works on the trail have been completed, so the Australia Day Long Weekend Awaba Bash will now also be a Grand Re-Opening Bash.

After the long weekend the trail will be opened again to the public. Just be aware that there will be chains across the trail at three points (start of the rock garden, the exit of the rack garden and the bridge) to keep moto;s off. We will remove these as often as possible on the weekends, but for the time being they need to stay.

Hope to see you on the Long Week End.

grubby

Likes Dirt
todays build day was very succesfull with two groups out there working. there was 3 guys at the top working on the scorpian gap and it is 85% complete whilst we had 11 others turn up to help re-route one section and put in place a few new retaining walls. overall today was a great turn up and an awesome effort by all who attended, so i would like to say a huge thatnks to those that turned up. i hope you all enjoy the trail once the re-opening occurs.

once again thanks to all for your efforts today.:)

on another note it was suggested that on the sunday of the bash, we have the hottest 100 played through the mighty P.A as our source of music. dose anyone oppose this idea.

Last edited:

sammydog

Well, I was taking the PA out anyway, so that is no problem at all. Should be able to hear it on the bottom half of the trail through to the bottom.

Just need someone to bring a generator.

sammydog

Awaba Bash, Cancelled

Unfortunately, HMBA and CCOMTB have had to take the steps of cancelling the Awaba Bash to be held on the longweekend.

Neither club has taken this decision lightly, however given correspondence from MTBA we have decided the best action for the clubs was to pull the pin.

The issue arose due to a clash with the Nationals and the perception that the awaba weekend, while social in nature, was watering down the Nat Champs through direct competition. The event was never aout competing with the Nationals, more catering for those who could not travel for what ever reason.

Neither club wants to be utlised as a scape goat should the Nationals Numbers fall below expectations, leading to the event being cancelled.

The trail will still be open for the long weekend for use by the public, however the runs will not be under the guise of an organised club ride of either HMBA or CCOMTB.

I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause people who were coming to ride. Please get in contact if you have any questions.

tranceup

Likes Dirt
Ill second that bugger but add this.

The vibe out there on Sunday when building had finished was that the track is going to be awesome and we have done as much as possible to make it better in time for what is going to be a big season of riding out there. I would guess that most if not all who attended this weekend will be riding here and not travelling and most if not all had no intention of travelling anyway.
It is shame that this became political though i tend to think that the exitement of running this track in its finished glory will soon replace the dissapointment of this announcement. Lets not forget that the weekend was designed as a re-opening of the trail and a chance for all those who worked hard on it to be able to ride it and show off the new bits and as a good ol fashioned fun weekend of DHing. I look forward to finally being able to roll down it rather than shovelling and walking up it.
Hope to see a heap of people out there in a couple weeks, should be fun

demo man

Used to be cool.
Why not still run it the weekend before like first planned - or the weekend after?

If all it's meant to be is a fun weekend it doesn't HAVE to be that weekend, does it?

Rik

logged out
It is a LONG weekend though, that makes a big difference for everyone that has to balance riding with other commitments. Oh well, I know plenty of people that were keen for this and they'll be dissapointed... and let's face it, if you were willing to pay the $xyz hundreds to get to Canberry for a handful of runs then do you really think this event would've changed your mind?

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All is not lost. The track will be open.
The trail will still be open for the long weekend for use by the public, however the runs will not be under the guise of an organised club ride of either HMBA or CCOMTB.

sammydog

Why not still run it the weekend before like first planned - or the weekend after?

If all it's meant to be is a fun weekend it doesn't HAVE to be that weekend, does it?
It was never planned for the weekend before. We have a HMBA club round on next weekend, but not at Awaba.

As posted, this was to be the re-opening of the trail (finally). Thats OK, the trail will be opened that weekend, just not in an official way.

As Rik said, it is a long weekend which opens up possibilities for people who can't travel but want an organised ride. Unfortunatley, those are the big loosers in all of this, not HMBA, not MTBA, not CORC, not CCOMTB. It is the punters that get the kick in the nuts.

grubby

Likes Dirt
it is sad to see the weekend being canned, however those that were interested in riding there as already said the chains will be down and the trail crew will more than likely be there finally reaping the benifits of all their hard work. may a club round in the not to far can be held there and that can be the offical opening and test run of the trail with a good number of riders.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
Well thats a blow.

MTBA have had a few, dare I say 'cock ups' lately.
Why can't they just accept the fact that those who are intending to be at Awaba DONT WANT TO GO TO STROMLO! I know, its the worlds most awesome track, build by god almighty and ridden by the best of the best.

BUT

Awaba is better. And this isn't about whipping your thing out and comparing sizes, we're all here to have fun, and these kind people have been nice enough to organise an alternate race to attend for those who aren't serious about Nationals, and just want a good weekend.

NOT HAPPY MTBA

Can we vote them off the Island? I don't care much about politics, I'll say what I damn well want:p

Wayno

I've got Gravity on my side

It was never planned the weekend before it was always going to be the long weekend. We had it planned on that weekend as it is the "long weekend" and people could make it, as there was riders who said they were not going to the Nationals for what ever reason me included and wanted to have a ride that doesn't cost $27 an hour (work it out) on a "fun track"

sammydog

To add to this, any profit from the weekend (not a lot but every bit helps) was to be put back into the awaba project to fund the potential second trail. That will have to be put off a little longer.

Demo Man, this is comment I have received on the impact of this not happening, It is this level of rider, the non competative one that this has impacted upon the most.

Its pretty rare these days that myself, bro and mates who are all new fathers this year get a chance for a weekend of shuttles at a cost we can afford and still keep our partners happy by not being away every day of a weekend (or 4 days in the case of Nationals). The long weekend combined with shuttles was just too good a chance for us to all ride for it to be real I suppose.

We can no longer afford the cost and especially the time required to attend the nationals and not having access to easy shuttle options makes it harder.

Any, thanks for taking the ball and trying to organise what could and should have been a great weekend.

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That quote sums it up for all us guys who have families and our partners have no interest in riding.
Good work MTBA, hurting the people that probably make up the majority of you members, the ones with no real interest in racing the nationals and just ride for fun with an occasional club round thrown in for bragging rights with mates.