Australian All Mountain Championship???

Loneryda

Likes Bikes
Just wondering.....There are a lot of guys on long travel, pedalable bikes these days - 6 inches and beyond, and there are a lot of races for DH, XC Enduro 4X etc....does any one know if there is an All Mountain Championship in Australia? I've heard of the odd Super D here & there but nothing else...America has a AM championship and I'm pretty sure Europe does too. I would personally love to go in something like that.

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
Just wondering.....There are a lot of guys on long travel, pedalable bikes these days - 6 inches and beyond, and there are a lot of races for DH, XC Enduro 4X etc....does any one know if there is an All Mountain Championship in Australia? I've heard of the odd Super D here & there but nothing else...America has a AM championship and I'm pretty sure Europe does too. I would personally love to go in something like that.

I've not heard of anything but I'd love to do a super D.

Have considered going to NZ to try out some of theirs...

DHdreamer

Likes Bikes
Yep, more widespread or frequent Super D races around the country would be awesome. :)

Last edited:

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In QLD last year we were lucky enough to have the Garapine DH Enduro - which sort of suits that category.

3 different light DH tracks - ranging from 3-5mins. You were timed on each track, and had a time limit to ride back up to the top of the next track. The lowest cummulative time won.

Oh - and we had to do that twice - so it was 6 runs all together and 6 ascents. The ascent was about 20mins and timed - go over and you were penalised...

People rode hartails all the way to DH bikes. But the most competative were the mid travel bikes (140mm-160mm duallys) as the ride back to the top was pretty tough, and the tracks were too rough to pedal on anything less.

Garapine DH Enduro - Gravity MTB - QLD - 2009 - Discussion

Garapine DH Enduro - Gravity MTB - QLD - 2009 - Seven News vid

Gravity MTB site

And yes - I attached the results because I came 2nd in Elite - total elapsed down time 32mins 49 secs - no time penalties...

Attachments

Last edited:

Loneryda

Likes Bikes
That looked like heaps of fun...I'd rather a mass start format..you know the ones! Location is everything though. It would be good if someone were able to organise an hour long race maybe a-b type...gotta find a way, I reckon it would be a great disclipine to compete in....no longer than an hour though. If you were doing it you could probably call it the Australian All Mountain Championships and get away with it...people just seem to be catching on to the whole supa D format...personally I believe its the way of the future, going down is where it's at but sorta maning up enough to earn ya turns...to coin a phrase!

floody

Wheel size expert
There will most likely be another Mt. Wellington Super-D down here... 20 minutes and 1000+ metres vertical drop with a few ascents included. Trail varies from boulder fields to rainforest to singletrack. Suits all sorts of bikes, elite winner was on a M6 and runner up/top seeder was on a Commencal Meta 5.5, and they were within seconds.

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
That looked like heaps of fun...I'd rather a mass start format..you know the ones! Location is everything though. It would be good if someone were able to organise an hour long race maybe a-b type...gotta find a way, I reckon it would be a great disclipine to compete in....no longer than an hour though. If you were doing it you could probably call it the Australian All Mountain Championships and get away with it...people just seem to be catching on to the whole supa D format...personally I believe its the way of the future, going down is where it's at but sorta maning up enough to earn ya turns...to coin a phrase!
So are you suggesting something like an enduro but the more technical the better, therefore a real test of overall bike handling/skill and fitness. You gotta work to get up the hill but ya gotta work it to get down as well. That way someone who's been riding bikes for 20 years but never been off road couldn't just turn up and smash 3/4 of the field. If that's what your talking about I know a whole bunch of people that'd been very keen.

Loneryda

Likes Bikes
I'd think climbing that is not completley rediculous..meaning you can actually get to the top if you're fit enough and the down hill part just shy of a dh track....you would have to have skills or you wouldn't make it...the whole thing based on ability (skills ) and fitness (climbing) anyone who doesn't ride off road and is just fit would never be able to win unless they had the skills...thats how I'd have it, I'd also have some real rough stuff to slow anyone down that wasn't riding a "long" travel bike.

Loneryda

Likes Bikes
Might I add, I for eg used to race XC years ago...but at 90kg's (then) and 85kgs now there's no way I was ever gonna win a race...In this type of thing, body weight would not be such an issue...If every-one is riding BIG BOUNCY BIKES being whippet thin and fit as isn't gonna help you monster a 15-17 kg bike up the hill (but would help to give you a hernia) If you were the champ you'd sorta be or have the skills of a dh 'er and the lungs of a horse..so yeah like an Enduro but more hardcore, light bikes will snap, some decent drops etc all the stuff thats rad but on a slightly downsized level eg no 40ft doubles or 20 ft drops...ha ha.

Loneryda

Likes Bikes
so yeah like the ultimate all round MTBer who has the best skills and fitness and can go "fairly" large, of course if you could go real large that would be an advantage...but you gotta be able to ride up those hills...

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
You'd have to make the uphill a little bit technical 'cos that's the difference between riding up a hill on the road and one off road. Any fit bugger can ride up a hill, but throw in a few steps and a bit of loose stuff and ya got a different ball game.