Avanti Torrent and Coppermine/Vapour thread

floody

Wheel size expert
Sorry Floody, I was being sarcastic, I'm 5ft 6 so medium Torrent seems spot on, but just recently I saw a friend test riding a 650b bike & I honestly thought it was a 29er!
the wheels just looked far too big for her & she's the same height as myself.
Ha yeah I figured you weren't actually 4'0". How it looks doesn't necessarily mean much about how it rides though. Really my coppermine pretty much feels like my torrent with more grip, cockpit dimensions are identical for all intents and purposes, so I can't see the 650B bike feeling much different to a 26" one.

schwing

Likes Dirt
Frame only, but almost bought it as a spare. Hardly an XC rig!
A race rig - not for elite but great for the weekend warrior.
But it rides great and very 26ish, smooth thru travel and under braking which was a nice change from my heckler that struggled a bit in that departent.
The tru 4 link works great!

120mm travel makes it a great trail machine.
Its mine also listed here if interested
- some silly bugger bought it thinking it was the whole bike. guess my listing photos should be reordered. but was listed as frame plus parts -
I committed to another frame so have to sell......with some trepidation.

goatman

Likes Dirt
A race rig - not for elite but great for the weekend warrior.
But it rides great and very 26ish, smooth thru travel and under braking which was a nice change from my heckler that struggled a bit in that departent.
The tru 4 link works great!

120mm travel makes it a great trail machine.
Its mine also listed here if interested
- some silly bugger bought it thinking it was the whole bike. guess my listing photos should be reordered. but was listed as frame plus parts -
I committed to another frame so have to sell......with some trepidation.
Yeah loving mine with forks set to 140mm, new wheels and a 1* degree angleset to make it 68*.

floody

Wheel size expert
Yeah I don't think the Vapour 29/Coppermine was ever an XC race rig. From the first time I rode one back to back with my Torrent I knew it was destined for gnarlier things.

floody

Wheel size expert
Awesome! I bet its good to have a decent bailout gear. I just dropped down to a 32t on my coppermine and may well go 2X again soon as my time for riding and fitness continues to decline.

What sort of fork and shock air pressures do people run here?

Every ride I've noticed the shocks have bottomed out after only a few small'ish jumps. I've upped the pressures each ride by about 10psi and the last ride I had 150psi (rear) and 120psi (front).

I've only ridden around Lysterfield and know that anything like the 'follow me' trails (even if I take it pretty easy) will bottom out, bit worried I'll hurt the fork/shock.

FYI the front forks are RockShox Sektor Solo Air, rear shock: Fox Float RL XV 7.875 x 2.25" "with Avanti tune" and I am around 84kg..
Cheers!

If I remember correct the rear shock was only around 15-20%. (ie if i sit on the bike, the oring moves about 12-15mm..

I havent really played with the front sag yet..

floody

Wheel size expert
If I remember correct the rear shock was only around 15-20%. (ie if i sit on the bike, the oring moves about 12-15mm..

I havent really played with the front sag yet..
Rear stroke is 50mm, so 15mm is closer to 30% than 20%.

I would think sag closer to 10mm would be more reasonable. I run well over 200psi at my weight (105kg), try upping rear shock pressure by 25psi and see how much sag you have.

Double checked the sag, definitely around the 13mm mark (thought this shock is meant to be 2.25" travel? should work out to around 20%).

Upped it to 195psi which creates about 9mm sag (16%), I'll see how that feels this weekend if my shoulder is good (may have hit a tree last Saturday..)

floody

Wheel size expert
D'oh, sorry, Coppermine has the 2" stroke shock. Yeah does seem a little odd its going through travel like that then. Maybe the Torrent 1 has a different shock tune to the 2 and 3?

Maltese Falcon

Likes Dirt
Avanti dh.jpgraced DH on the weekend, what a great little bike the Torrent is!

So much so my oldest mate who owns an Avanti plus store found my son a 2013 Torrent, an ex Demo in a small size. Less than half the Retail price & it only has one very small scratch on it. Already started blinging it up with gold parts, 1 x 10, XT shifter, Zee rear Der. Race Face 30t narrow wide ring Deore brakes & Schwalbe tyres. I'll post pics when it's all built up
The only problem now is I have to wait till Xmas to give it too him! It's going to kill me! Actually the blue Torrent is really nice in person. Can't wait till Xmas (& it's not even for me! LOL)
View attachment 271326Doms Torrent (4).jpg

Last edited:
Rode today and yesterday with 195psi in the rear shock, felt heaps better than before. Didn't quite bottom out on any decent jumps or drops (aneurysm at Lysterfield, cressy descent + boulder track at you yangs)

Anyone have any suggestions on how capable the Rockshox Sektor solo air forks are? I know they will be more capable than my riding at the moment, but after heading out to you yangs yesterday, just wondering how much abuse they can handle? Definitely staying away from the double black tracks at you yangs, but will hoping they'll be ok for some more single black runs this summer!

floody

Wheel size expert
They should be pretty durable, its the same chassis as revelation etc basically, just with a simplified damper. Might even be more durable than the more complex forks.

whitebait19

Cannon Fodder
cool, theres not much on the net about these mint and understated bikes.

ive got a 2013 Torrent 2 and cant get enough of it!

Have swapped out the standard drive train for full XT 2x10 with e*13 TRS+ dual guide, brakes are now Zee and Race Face Atlas bars.

Looks Sweet and rides even better. :crazy:20130829_211503.jpg

Last edited: