Awaba DH

Grrilla

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

Did a search and looked through all the DH threads and couldn't find an answer, so apologies if this is a repost...

I'm looking at going to Awaba DH track this Saturday and seeing as my gf doesn't wanna do the shuttle duties for me, can anyone tell me:
a) is it possible to ride from the bottom of the DH track back up to the start; and if it is
b) is it better to go up via Mt Faulk Rd or just back up the track, and finally
c) roughly how long does it take to get back up to the start? (I'm guessing I park in the main carpark at the bottom of the track).

Any help would be much appreciated, I only have a limited time to get out riding this weekend so am trying to pre-plan!

Thanks,

Grrilla

jumpers

Likes Dirt
Take too long to push up track if you got limited time and bloody hard ride up mt faulk road (unless on xc bike).

I used to do heaps sectioning with mate - get dropped at the top. You can section to rock garden and push up to start. Then go thru garden. Then do rest in sections, we used to do it all the time. Hard push back up but well worth it. If desperate could walk in from bottom , walk up and section from garden down.
Track taht much fun its worth riding in sectoions, one section at monkey is like ridn a normal dh track.

Have fun

Grrilla

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the advice - I had another look on Google maps and it seems to be ~3.5km from the bottom of the trail back up Mt Faulk Road? Last two runs at Ourimbah I rode back up from the bottom of the trail and it was a killer but that was longer.

Definitely don't have an XC bike, Mongoose Double D with extras + me so around 130kg all up, hills are not my friend haha.. I might do what you've suggested and do a few sections instead, have been told Awaba is a bit of a step up from Ourimbah DH.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'd say the shuttle road for Awaba would be three times harder to push or God forbid even ride up than Ourimbah. I reckon it'd be easier pushing back up the actual downhill trail.
Sections are your friend. ;)

jumpers

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the advice - I had another look on Google maps and it seems to be ~3.5km from the bottom of the trail back up Mt Faulk Road? Last two runs at Ourimbah I rode back up from the bottom of the trail and it was a killer but that was longer.

Definitely don't have an XC bike, Mongoose Double D with extras + me so around 130kg all up, hills are not my friend haha.. I might do what you've suggested and do a few sections instead, have been told Awaba is a bit of a step up from Ourimbah DH.
Dont believe the maps -mt faulk road is twice as steep as ourimbah - ourimbah was my home track and never considered riding up road!! As dozer suggested way easier (realtive speaking) to push up the track.

Awaba is about a million step ups from ourimbah - do the sectioning to learn the track, its super steep, heaps fun obstacles and is bloody awesome fun (wear armour if your first time).

Just do it, you wont regret it

Grrilla

Likes Bikes
There is a club round on Sunday, if you could get out to that you will have a lot more fun.
Thanks mate, I did see that.. I will try make it out there on Sunday but powerlifting is my first love and I gotta fit my riding around that so Sundays are usually out. Is it racing only on Sunday? I've got all the gear (armour, full face etc) but this is about my fourth ride back after a four year break from riding so I don't wanna jump into racing on a course I've never ridden before. It's almost a guarantee that I will get carried away and break something haha...

driftking

Wheel size expert
Are you riding a DH bike, riding back to the top of any track even ourimbah is a decent effort.
How about doing a weekend there?
Spend sat sessioning the areas you need to work on like the rock garden and scoping lines and do some section sessioning, then sunday hit up the club round, you will learn a lot from other riders and a club round is a lot more relaxed so you could have some good two days of chilled riding.
Most racing is on sundays, I actually don't know any racing that takes place on a sat. sat is practice and sometimes seeding. sundays is race and sometimes seeding (if its not on sat)

edit: sorry just read about your lifting.

Grrilla

Likes Bikes
Are you riding a DH bike, riding back to the top of any track even ourimbah is a decent effort.
How about doing a weekend there?
Spend sat sessioning the areas you need to work on like the rock garden and scoping lines and do some section sessioning, then sunday hit up the club round, you will learn a lot from other riders and a club round is a lot more relaxed so you could have some good two days of chilled riding.
Most racing is on sundays, I actually don't know any racing that takes place on a sat. sat is practice and sometimes seeding. sundays is race and sometimes seeding (if its not on sat)

edit: sorry just read about your lifting.
I don't know if its officially a DH bike but I ride a Mongoose Black Diamond Double on Pimplite wheels, so it definitely feels like one!

I think I might start with a few practice sessions up there, then if I'm keen I'll juggle my training around and fit in a race.

Thanks so much for your input and advice guys, it is much appreciated!

driftking

Wheel size expert
I don't know if its officially a DH bike but I ride a Mongoose Black Diamond Double on Pimplite wheels, so it definitely feels like one!

I think I might start with a few practice sessions up there, then if I'm keen I'll juggle my training around and fit in a race.

Thanks so much for your input and advice guys, it is much appreciated!
Also club rounds from my knowledge dont do anything saturday they just do it all on a sunday. (some one correct me if im wrong) they might have a practice sat but they dont do all the seeding and stuff so you can just go for the race on sunday, so if your recovery and training scheduled fits you might be able to switch sat and sunday around for club rounds and still lift on the sat.. But Id expect being a lifter backing up a sat session with a race on sunday would be pretty demanding.
good luck with it though.

Grrilla

Likes Bikes
Did the top section down to Bangalow(?) Road and then pushed back up.. awesome track! Had a pretty epic stack at the top of the rock garden and fell off the edge of the mountain - fortunately was wearing full face and armour so I escaped with only a busted hand and foot, and the usual torn pants/jersey/knuckles etc. As soon as I can convince the gf to do shuttle duties I'll be straight back up there!

willsy01

Eats Squid
Did the top section down to Bangalow(?) Road and then pushed back up.. awesome track! Had a pretty epic stack at the top of the rock garden and fell off the edge of the mountain - fortunately was wearing full face and armour so I escaped with only a busted hand and foot, and the usual torn pants/jersey/knuckles etc. As soon as I can convince the gf to do shuttle duties I'll be straight back up there!
So an uneventful day in the end?

jumpers

Likes Dirt
Good on ya!!! always fun and adventurous up there. Its a rock garden thats for sure. Even more fun once get past the road gap - push in from bottom (do one long push to road gap) and section down from there.

SaabG

Likes Dirt
I have a shuttle ute (fits 5 bikes), I love Awaba but still find it hard to fill the ute with riders who are keen to ride Awaba so when you get a chance to ride on a Sunday let me know and we may be able to sort something out.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a shuttle ute (fits 5 bikes), I love Awaba but still find it hard to fill the ute with riders who are keen to ride Awaba so when you get a chance to ride on a Sunday let me know and we may be able to sort something out.
Hey mate I haven't ridden Awaba but I plan too soon...I'm in the same boat struggling to find people to ride with atm, sling us a PM when you're thinking of heading up and I'll see if I can make it, happy to chuck in petty money for shuttles etc

SaabG

Likes Dirt
Hey mate I haven't ridden Awaba but I plan too soon...I'm in the same boat struggling to find people to ride with atm, sling us a PM when you're thinking of heading up and I'll see if I can make it, happy to chuck in petty money for shuttles etc
Sounds good. I did the race day today, well two runs. Won't be doing that again. So much better running a private shuttle that actually picks you up at the end of the track and doesn't scratch your fork and bend your rotors on the way up haha.

zoidberg

Hooraaay, I'm helping!
Sounds good. I did the race day today, well two runs. Won't be doing that again. So much better running a private shuttle that actually picks you up at the end of the track and doesn't scratch your fork and bend your rotors on the way up haha.
Faaaaark I hear that. Giving my big rig a clean and service today, this seasons racing has put more dents and scratches on my bike than all the rest of my riding put together. Too many young kids that don't give a shit about the stuff mommy and daddy bought them just chucking shit on trailers with no regard of others bikes...

Bah <end rant>

haltz

Likes Dirt
Faaaaark I hear that. Giving my big rig a clean and service today, this seasons racing has put more dents and scratches on my bike than all the rest of my riding put together. Too many young kids that don't give a shit about the stuff mommy and daddy bought them just chucking shit on trailers with no regard of others bikes...

Bah <end rant>
And I considered racing with a brand new frame, dodged that one

SaabG

Likes Dirt
Wasn't the punters fault. The shuttle trailer only held the bikes down via the crank holder so the bikes were pivoting around that.