awaba tips

Jimbo jones

Likes Bikes
hey guys

can anyone give me some tips on racing the awaba downhill track. I am probley going to the race coming up at awaba and i want to know what to expect.

cheers james

kozlik9

Likes Dirt
It is a very tecnicle track, the rock garden is probubly the trickyest part.

iv done 3 runs there, on my first i was on my own and i walk alot of the stuff the next 2 runs i followed a couple of guys down and i took all of there lines and i did half the stuff i walk on the first run.

So follow some people who know the track on the practise runs and you should be right.

just close your eyes and let go of the brakes.

sorry for any spelling.

peace todd:D

tranceup

Likes Dirt
hey james,
definately try and make the trip if you can.
Infact for all you guys who have been here before and raced but were putoff by the challenge let me assure you that since the last state rd we have made this track a hell of a lot safer. Not necessarily easier but its definately safer with more B lines and barriers etc.
Over the coming weeks we will be doing even more to enhance this awesome track and make it even more enjoyable for avg riders and the elite alike.
As for tips im no expert but the following may help
Scorpion gap is avoidable but its easier to do it, there is a pallet there so its pretty hard to mess up to bad unless your completely off line or way to slow
In the rock garden, keep your head up and look ahead, its pretty steep and if you look down you will probably go down.
After the rock garden just try to maintain your flow its a tricky section with lots of rocks that can all jump out and bite you if not looking.
The road gap is great but the run in can be rough so look ahead.
Battle drop is now completely rollable and over the next week we ill be working on the run in a bit to reduce a bit of speed to the approach.
Wombat gap is now avoidable so not much to say there and the rest is just general riding skills at speed. Enjoy.

We will be posting some pics soon of some of the work and we want to see as many of you up here as possible. its a great track that is fairly challenging but so much fun aswell.

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Come up for either the build day or the next club race if you can.

The track isn't any harder to ride than Del Rio but it's just as intense and twice as long. Everything now has a B-line so people of all levels should be able to get down the hill.

lordflog

Likes Dirt
Shocking spelling Todd - no excuses.

The rock garden isn't that hard - I've seen kids on hardtails nailing it :eek:

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just hold on and try not too stack. If you get down without falling off you will get a descent time.

jumpers

Likes Dirt
Steep, so many fun corners, steep, so many fun corners.

I am totally useless yet can ride the whole track.

Monkey is the best, scary and SUPER FUN

Spanners

Likes Bikes
Awaba round.

We are road trippin' it up there with 9 guys from victoria, We have heard the rumours of how good the track is and can't wait to hit it up! So look out for us and come and say hi!! ;)

prosheep

Likes Dirt
its all a bit of a mental head fuck up alot of the stuff looks harder than what it is so 1 stay safe but 2 get off the brakes and you will see how easy alot is.

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We are road trippin' it up there with 9 guys from victoria, We have heard the rumours of how good the track is and can't wait to hit it up! So look out for us and come and say hi!! ;)
Think a faster steeper version of Barjarg!

Are you coming only for the state round or spending a bit of time here?

Last edited:

eatTrakWifFork

Likes Bikes
I am not that experienced with racing but would like to give some advice. If you don't have much travel or you are unfit.. don't do all the A-lines. Lots of drops/jumps will tire you out after a few runs, tiredness will lead to mistakes or crashes on your final run. Also look ahead when possible instead of at the ground, if you miss one of the A-B sign posts on a tree you will be forced down the wrong line.

Great track, I wish everyone the best of luck with next round there. I am waiting until I am more healed up before racing again. I have a new bike since last week so can't wait to ride Awaba again.

(I can confirm Tye nails it on a hard tail he overtook me there on my race run zooom, hope the new dually works well there for ya, stay safe)

Wayno

I've got Gravity on my side
Don't forget to register online

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't turn up jet lagged and crash on practice day landing on your head and lose your confidence for race day like me :D

tc2233

Likes Dirt
Besides the rock garden up the top everything is relatively easy. The Alines might look hard but they are not as hard as they look.
The only hard thing about the rock garden is at the bottom because if you get offline you get spat out.
Another line worth trying is doing the first bit of the rockgarden and hop onto the b-line.

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The only hard thing about the rock garden is at the bottom because if you get offline you get spat out.

We have an idea to make this section a lot safer whilst still retaining the sketchy fun nature. Watch this space.