Back to amputate your legs: The Angry Doctor, 2009

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Get out your skinny prosthetic climbing legs folks, the Angry Doctor is back to give you all a medical on september 12 and 13.

http://www.arocsport.com.au/mtbenduro/mtbenduro_home.html

Entries open next friday may 1. After only recieving an entry due to someone pulling out last year, ill be registering early this year. This is my number one race of the year and imagine it is for a few others.

So whos in and what distance?

Im doing the 100km, probably in open men, but maybe Elite.

Also, does anybody know anything about the coarse? They changed it alot last year which had some positives and negatives. Personaly, I think they could give us a bit longer to spread out and find a good position at the start, and I really missed that wicked long berm section at about 10kms to go that they had in the first year, but its still a great track.

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also, does anybody know anything about the coarse? They changed it alot last year which had some positives and negatives. Personaly, I think they could give us a bit longer to spread out and find a good position at the start, and I really missed that wicked long berm section at about 10kms to go that they had in the first year, but its still a great track.
I hear there is more logging around the Snake Track section, but I'll chat to the course setters and find out their plans.

I DNF'ed the first year (unfit, ill-prepared, made mistakes on the day, very crap), was too scared last year, but am very tempted to seek my vengeance (or die trying) this year.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Yep 3 of us are going - dynomatt and I are doing the 50 and my BIL is doing the 100.

Really looking forward to it! :D And rego opens before I go o/s? Woot.

Last edited:

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
Logging

I hear there is more logging around the Snake Track section, but I'll chat to the course setters and find out their plans.
Definitely true - I've ridden through that way once in December and once in late January, and barely recognised some sections of forest on Heffernan's road. From what I could tell, the logging has effected the Snake track section near the Pistol Shot/Maulbrooks Road junction quite badly - so both times decided not to try and ride the singletrack into Mogo, but blast straight down the fireroad instead. Seems like bits of singletrack are gone - they may be rebuilt for the race though.

Should be a fantastic race anyway though! Love riding around that area.

72Fury

Likes Dirt
You'd better hope none of the World Cup boys/gals that are over for World Champs the weekend before hear about this one and decide to extend their trip!!
It could be nasty!! :eek:
Mary McConneloug and Mike Broderick raced the 50k last year. They both rode the 100k course the day before for fun.

oldbean

NSWMTB
You'd better hope none of the World Cup boys/gals that are over for World Champs the weekend before hear about this one and decide to extend their trip!!
It could be nasty!! :eek:
Except that Cross Country World Cup #7 is on in Switzerland the same day...

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Butterflys just got bigger thanks
I did the 50 last year and went ok for me.
Have been wanting to do a 100 for a while. I was going make capital punnishment my debut but you know what happened there. Id do another event as my first 100 but my wife and i do dirt works and highland fling together and i don't want to change that so angry doctor it is. Ive been training for a while for it and have a while to go. ive notched 2 100 ks training rides and will do another three before it so fingers crossed.

Aro

Likes Bikes
Count me in, the Angry Doctor was my 1st 100km & will make it my 2nd, had cramping from the 45km mark til the end last year, anything less than that & i'll be happy, some of the best riding/terrain i've ever been on. Looking forward but also shitting myself, again...

wilbur

Cannon Fodder
I rode the Angry Doctor last year as my first 100Km race. Took it pretty easy, as I had no idea how to pace myself or even if I was going to make it. Finished in 7:57 and even had some power left in the legs :)

Had a great time. My one comment would be that there were too many pointless hills. I don't mind climbing up, but it would be nice to be rewarded with some singletrack down the other side. Too many times it was a steep climb followed by a roll down a firetrail.

Having said that, I'll be signing up next week :)

jab80

Likes Bikes
I've heard so much good stuff about this race I don't think I can say no. It can't be any harder than the Odessey surely?! (it was my first 100, pulled my ITB at 40k, finished just to spite the hills that hurt me. Stupid hills.:mad:)

gazzaed

Likes Dirt
Im in for the 100km for sure, it will be my first 100 but did the mtb50 at nowra recently, and for all those who competed they will be aware of how draining the track was, so im looking forward to some good riding in the Angry Doctor

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
So what is the course like, compared to the BMC Classic or the DW100 (the only other 100k races I've been in)? Having just DNF'd the BMC I'm a little gun shy about entering the 100K and may go in the 50K instead...

m_g

Likes Dirt
So what is the course like, compared to the BMC Classic or the DW100 (the only other 100k races I've been in)? Having just DNF'd the BMC I'm a little gun shy about entering the 100K and may go in the 50K instead...
the doctor scares me...the first time i did the hundred (9 hours) i swore id never do it again...sure enough I rode again last year in under 8 hours...

but, compared to the DW100 they are chalk and cheese...first of all (as wilbur mentioned), the doctor has more (or at least feels like more) climbing...the climbs are steep, and often, and i found it more mentally draining than anything...Finishing one massive climb, coasting down the other side, coming around a corner and seeing another one, very tough...i usually reserve my ipod for the 80 km mark, but I needed it at the 40!!!

However, it does have some of the best singletrack around, especially the last 10km (think rotorua)...so, its still a while away, train on some hills and youll be right...
plus they have great woodfired pizza at the end!