Back to amputate your legs: The Angry Doctor, 2009

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Full kudos to all those SS riders out there. You guys did it tougher than any of the geared riders. And thanks to Dreggsy (I think) who I shared some fire road and single track with in the second fifty.
Ahhh I was wondering who that was, I think we swapped places quite a few times in that last 50, Then when we got to the descent at the 90km stage I flatted (twice), there was no carching you arfter that.
It was my first 100km on a SS (32:18), I managed a total time of 6:15ish but I did take my time at the feed stations, I think i will have to build up something alot lighter than that ride (14kg) if i want to do it again.

crash bandicoot

Likes Dirt
You should have used your chain breaker and made her a single speed and at least finished the 50 :p would have been a great story to tell people who dropped out of the 50 cause they forgot their HFU tablets for the hot weather :p
had a think about that, but single speed won't work on dual suspension without some sort of tensioner. the guys at batemans bay cycles offered to fit a tensioner so i could go out in the 50km, but with no spare hanger there was no way to fit it.:(

cog_nition

Likes Dirt
Then when we got to the descent at the 90km stage I flatted (twice), there was no carching you arfter that.
There I was thinking you were just being nice letting me go past in that single track. If I'd know you flatted I'd have stopped. Obviously you didn't need my help tho'.

pliskin

Likes Dirt
had a think about that, but single speed won't work on dual suspension without some sort of tensioner. the guys at batemans bay cycles offered to fit a tensioner so i could go out in the 50km, but with no spare hanger there was no way to fit it.:(
it can work, it will just depend on what is the best chain line u can get.
last year, i managed to mangle my rear derailleur just before the 1st creek crossing on the Andersons Firetrail. pulled out the multi tool, removed the mangled mech altogether. then used a chain breaker and removed the extra links as i would need to climb out in granny gear anyway. i always carry a spare power link in my pack.
the climbs were easy, just got the shits once i was on the flats and my legs were like egg beaters, but i wasn't going anywhere .
did manage to make it back to car though

edit: sorry . just realised i was also able to lock out my rear shock. then it was do-able .