Backhander to champ; Qantas spirit blasted

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Well I submitted my sales speil to help our DHer's for their 'feedback'. I even included links to the results from the world champs as well as a link to the current world cup standings. Surely they don't need to much encouragement to want to sponsor our guys & girls who are already proven World Champions!

Wonder if I get a response...

Binaural

Eats Squid
Fark I work for Qantas and I prefer to fly Virgin when I've got my bike along. Plus their hostie girls are better IMO.
Oh, I don't know - surly 50yo lifetime hostie chicks are really the spirit of Australia don't you think?

roxy12

Fat Tyre Flyers
well im guesing none of you have looked further, but both quantus and virgin have a statement on there site stateing they will not sponsor/assist anyone of an extreme sport as there company want a vision of safety.

funny since Im sure theres lots of accidents and injuries in rally raceing?

benmwatkins

Likes Dirt
dh bike freight

If you think Quantas are bad, fly JETSTAR to Tassie this year. Upon check in, bend over, lube up and GET SHAFTED. The only way to get around this is to sea freight your gear weeks in advance (cheap but a pain the arse) or try jetta.com.au which is cheaper but not much. Even Japan airlines make you put your whole bike in a bike box as long as a standard frame!!! QUANTAS......YOU BLOW (actually american airlines AND quantas lost all my baggage flying to america last year, and they didnt give a f#$% either) SO THEY BLOW TOO.

Kasplat

Likes Dirt
Anyone notice that it's all QANTAS and Telstra sponsured teams that get the help! bot a bunch of wankers! WESTNET rocks!!!!

daanhilla

Likes Dirt
ive alway travelled with cuntus (qantas) and they will allow 1 item of sporting goods luggage to be checked in free of charge + normal check in baggage + carry on and anything extra will be charged xs baggage.
I travelled within oz with my bike (in a box and weighed 38kgs with all the extra shit i shoved in), my check in baggage (17kgs) and some carry on luggage and i did NOT get bunged with any excess luggage fees. I did this on 4 flights and got the same deal each time. I was under the impression that the other imposters were a little 'tighter' with xs baggage. But, the last flight was about 15months ago, maybe they've changed since then....if not, you can't really complain or expect any more for free.

trace

Tracey Hannah
Bit of a fallacy as most people can't really contol their body weight (within a short time span) but they can control the amount of luggage hence the 20KG limit.

I wouldn't blame Qantas for enforcing the weight excess penalty, there are only so much that the check-in managers can do at the desk. If every person come to them and ask to have the penalty waiver, than whats the point of having the rule. Yes, Qantas likes to maintain the image of an Australian sport supporter, but reality is that its the media unit that determines who the airline supports, not the staff at the checkin desk.

End of the day, they will provide you with benefits if you can give them something back like press exposure, a big ask for MTBing.:(
That doesn't justify $600.00 one way on 4hr flight for one bike!

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
well im guesing none of you have looked further, but both quantus and virgin have a statement on there site stateing they will not sponsor/assist anyone of an extreme sport as there company want a vision of safety.

funny since Im sure theres lots of accidents and injuries in rally raceing?
That is the biggest cop out I've heard in a long time... its because they are tight asses who only sponsor sporting teams that have a high public exposure... "extreme" sports dont bring in the dollars.

Well, they do, if you include excess baggage:rolleyes:

Drizz

Likes Dirt
Yes, call them tight and anal but they are also the rules eveyone go by. It is set with both a profit motive and safety reason. Vigin Blue offer a better deal they only count a bike of any weight as 5Kg of your total allowance. I will recommend people to fly with them if they travelling with bikes.

Lesson for next time I guess. :(

the F.H.B

Likes Dirt
$600.00 to Nz for a bike is a joke but why did you fly qantas in the first place, was it a team arrangement?

I hope you have written to the airline and let them know how you feel about the whole situation, if it was me I'd be giving them hell about now!

Check me down as one who wont be flying with qantas again :mad:

dirtdemon

Likes Dirt
Cross Country for Free

I heard a rumour that the cross country team had there excess paid by Cycling Australia. Don't know if this is true but would like to have this confirmed or denied.

at the drive in

Likes Dirt
The same thing happened to me 2 and a half years ago, flew over airnz to NZ paid the $20 bagagge handle fee for my bike and off i went. I go to come home Qantas the charged me $214 (my light hardtail). Before i went on my holiday we asked qantas and airnz if it would cost extra to take the bike and they both said no.

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
For $600 you should have the bike in the seat next to you.
For that matter the bike could have flown business class.
How much was your ticket one way?

Just checked the QANTAS website and you can fly to Auckland from Sydney this week from as little as $125 each way ($250.00 return flight)
Hate to say it but those bastards really stuck it to you for the bike.
How do they (QANTAS) justify the $600 for a 30kg bike, does anyone know?

Last edited:

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
DH bikes have really short seat tubes. You know how hard it is to try and stuff 5 pounds of hooch into a DH bike compared to a boogieboard bag?

bazza

look at me
hahahah. my rant.

Hey QANTAS,

Just read what you guys/girls did the to Australian Mountain biking team coming home from the world championships and was stunned. I thought QANTAS was at the forefront of being an Australian ambassador, it appears that this is not the case. Charging Tracey Hannah who just won the world junior womens downhill mountain biking championship $600 is incredible. Downhill mountain biking isn't a big money sport and many of the members of the team would of flown over to New Zealand either with the support of their own jobs, which restrict training times or through friends or family supporting them. Even $100 for next day air cargo is a large price to pay for some of Australia's best mountain bikers who have worked so hard. Special consideration could of been made for the Australian team by the 'Australian' airline at least.

I hope next time you will look into having measures in place for special consideration such as this. Support Australian sporting champions!

Matthew Barron