Bad English

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
while there does need to be some improvement in the general language on the boards, its not really all that bad, and as long as you're not using msn language or typing illegably, all is ok.
this is what i've been trying to say all along, and while i have been trying to pass on comments, things from my past come along and then i get flamed because i have a not so great history in the For Sale section.

to call me Hypocritical is like saying that everyone is perfect, and while i've been having a go at the bad english, i wasn't saying that mine is perfect.

my punctuation is definetely not the best, and so is everyone else's, if everyone bothered to punctuate they will spend hours to write a post.

but when the english is blatantly horrible, and when GOOD english was being exercised before, then the problem isn't with me. im merely doing to a suggestion.

if there is the perception of me being on a highhorse then, whoever perceives that way is wrong. clear and simple.

For a laugh I had a read through the for sale thread you have in your signature and there are easily as many errors in it as the post you have used as an example.
laugh away, that's the For Sale Section, do you go sell a car or anything with sentences that come out of a Book?

Last edited:

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
I've just given up reading threads/posts that are poorly written. If someone expects fellow farkers to put the effort in and reply to their thread then they should at least make it legible.

Lead by example people! Let us unite and rid the world of unreadable threads!

(That being said I cannot spell for shite, Mozilla 2 is all that lets me take the moral high ground...)

Last edited:

kyleman

Likes Dirt
laugh away, that's the For Sale Section, do you go sell a car or anything with sentences that come out of a Book?
Why is that forum any different?
So just because its the For Sale and your not selling houses we can speak however we want?
Thats just stupid.

tu plang

knob
Why is that forum any different?
So just because its the For Sale and your not selling houses we can speak however we want?
Thats just stupid.
Clearly you have missed what is apparently the whole point of this thread; Do as I say, not as I do. Now shut up and drink your Cool-Aid.

udi

swiss cheese
if there is the perception of me being on a highhorse then, whoever perceives that way is wrong.
Haha, I can't believe you were expecting to be taken seriously... and now you're just making things worse.

I think you do deserve a custom title though, i'm rallying for "ron".

:)

S.

ex offender
this is what i've been trying to say all along, and while i have been trying to pass on comments, things from my past come along and then i get flamed because i have a not so great history in the For Sale section.

to call me Hypocritical is like saying that everyone is perfect, and while i've been having a go at the bad english, i wasn't saying that mine is perfect.

my punctuation is definetely not the best, and so is everyone else's, if everyone bothered to punctuate they will spend hours to write a post.

but when the english is blatantly horrible, and when GOOD english was being exercised before, then the problem isn't with me. im merely doing to a suggestion.

if there is the perception of me being on a highhorse then, whoever perceives that way is wrong. clear and simple.

This is the single greatest post on Farkin in the last year. If it was anyone else I might have credited them with literary genius, especially when it comes to irony.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im seriously having a massive problem with the English on the boards around here, it's got so bad that sometimes when writing reports i even mess the words i've always known. (for example i almost wrote Writting instead of Writing)
Stop paying me out and use some capitals and punctuation, I know that I'm a bad speller but seriously who cares? You can still understand what we're saying!!

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmmm. I know for a fact that some Farkin members are overcoming their battle with Dyslexia, and more power to them, I applaud your efforts as it can be a long road (hint: see how many of my posts I have to edit because 'I kant spel') Spell checkers can be somewhat of a curse for these individuals. I have a dictionary next to my PC to help me out.

Perhaps blatant MSN/text message style posts could simply be responded to as many members have done, with a reminder that this style of post is not acceptable on this forum.

As for poor grammar etc., well, apart from posting a sticky thread to some sites that offer some practical examples and exercises in grammar etc, we may have to simply ignore some posts and concentrate on getting our own thoughts accross in a coherent way:(

My opinion always comes with a disclaimer: It is only my opinion.

Last edited:

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Certainly, since the mid 70's the teaching in schools of many grammar and punctuation rules seems to have gone off the boil. I'm as guilty as many of being oblivious to many of the finer intricacies. As such, I'm willing to let that sort of thing slide.

I also suffer from "gumby fingers", so now and then they can't keep up with what my brain wants to say. I'll type up a post and when I check over it, there will often be a lot of small things that need rectification.

The point is that I take the time to review the post before I put it up, and then once it's up I'll read through it again to see if there's anything I might have missed. It's not rocket science and I guess if you have something worth saying then it's probably worth taking the time to make sure it's said as coherently as possible.

Throwing something out with no punctuation, no caps, all caps, no attempt made to spell check (after all, it's pretty easy to copy a section of text, paste it into a Word document and spell check it there) shows that you don't give a rats about the audience.

Some folks have made the point: "If you can understand what was meant then what does it really matter?"

To some, I guess it doesn't.

However, Scott has decided that he wants a certain set of rules to apply to this forum. If we choose to post on this forum then we are expected to obey the rules which apply here. Simple.

scblack

Leucocholic

This post is the biggest joke I have ever seen.:rolleyes:

Try any one of these concepts:
Capitals
Grammar
Spelling
Sentence Structure
Maybe one day you will have a clue what they mean.

Your english is simply shithouse.

Then you say others need to lift their game.

TuPlang is right. If you want something to be done, do it yourself first. This thread is a waste of effort.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Scott has decided that he wants a certain set of rules to apply to this forum. If we choose to post on this forum then we are expected to obey the rules which apply here. Simple.
That is probably the best thing that can be said to all of farkin's users. The members don't own the site but they are a massive part of it. I think it is pretty bloody obvious that if people wish to use and remain a part of the site then they should make an effort to make their posts legible.
I can't stand the crappy SMS and MSN garbage that is posted in some sections. It is lazy and pointless! It doesn't cost you anything to type "the" instead "da" does it? I didn't think so..........
The mod's and admin do a great job of farkin and it is a very well presented forum. I'm sure some of the seniour members will agree with me in saying that the place is a good thing.;)
Some people have reasons for not spelling something correctly (example: dyslexia), at least they make the effort and the bulk of their contribution is worthy.
I think it is simple. If you can't make the effort to put a basic sentence together..........don't!

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The mod's and admin do a great job of farkin and it is a very well presented forum. I'm sure some of the seniour members will agree with me in saying that the place is a good thing.;)
Some people have reasons for not spelling something correctly (example: dyslexia), at least they make the effort and the bulk of their contribution is worthy.
I think it is simple. If you can't make the effort to put a basic sentence together..........don't!
Well said Sir Dozer. The moderators and administrators do a great job keeping the forum intact. Sometimes sentence structure also suffers because of Dyslexia.

Bodin

GMBC
The moderators and administrators do a great job keeping the forum intact.
Damn write :p , we do! I'm involved in a few other forums (not all bike-related) and Farkin generally operates at a comparatively good level when it comes to the pitfalls related to the public written word.

This thread is a waste of effort.
Agreed. I have absolutely no idea what we have to gain from leaving this thread open, apart from being supportive of the democratic nature of our forum that occasionally leads to drivel of this nature, but sometimes reveals the thoughts of the exulted mind of a genius. No, I'm not talking about Tu Plang.

Mo, please change your sig, dude. It's condescending when it comes from a hypocrite. Let this whole thing go and just go for a ride or something. Isn't that what everyone would prefer to be concentrating on?

jean5614

Likes Dirt
Wonderful, scblack, in the midst of everything you seemed to have forgotten that English has always a capital E. I, however, agree this is a waste of time, but says a lot about some Farkin members. Whilst having a go at others for lack of consideration, has it not occured to them, that they are guilty of the same thing. Some people simply don't have the wherwithall to write technically well. I certainly don't want to penalise them for this, they could quite possibly have something important to impart. Style over substance, I'll take the substance.

Status
Not open for further replies.