Bad English

Status
Not open for further replies.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Wonderful, scblack, in the midst of everything you seemed (present tense...) to have forgotten that English has always a capital E. I, however, agree (that) this is a waste of time, but (it) says a lot about some Farkin members. (New paragraph...) Whilst having a go at others for lack of consideration, has it not occured to them,(no comma needed...) that they are guilty of the same thing? Some people simply don't have the wherewithal to write technically well. I certainly don't want to penalise them for this, they could quite possibly have something important to impart. Style over substance? I'll take the substance!
Ahh the middle-management/hack politician school of English...

Lots of big words to sound important and knowledgeable yet sadly let down by a complete disregard for correct punctuation, grammer and sentence construction...

Christ, I can be a c**t sometimes...

:p

jean5614

Likes Dirt
Poor old Pint of Stella. Another example of a self panderer on this site. All of the examples are down to interpretation, rather than reality and then this linguistic oaf spells grammar wrong. Too many Stellas mate, you should stick to milk.

scblack

Leucocholic
Wonderful, scblack, in the midst of everything you seemed to have forgotten that English has always a capital E.
Poor old Pint of Stella. Another example of a self panderer on this site. All of the examples are down to interpretation, rather than reality and then this linguistic oaf spells grammar wrong. Too many Stellas mate, you should stick to milk.
Wow, what astounding analysis you give us jean.:rolleyes:

Two posts from Pint & myself, and the best retort you come back with is a SINGLE letter from each of us.

When you get a real response, get back to us. I currently shudder, cringing at the attack on this post.

Bodin

GMBC
Continuing the waste of time theme, I'm going to lock this thread if it descends any further down the path of seeing who can pick the spelling error in each retort.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Continuing the waste of time theme, I'm going to lock this thread if it descends any further down the path of seeing who can pick the spelling error in each retort.
I was going to see if I could find a fault in your post Bodin so it may prompt you to lock it sooner rather than later. Could you just lock it to save any more humiliation for some members?;)

I think the points that have been raised are true and to the point that some members just need to take a little bit more time and put some more effort into their posting. It isn't that hard.........really.

Last edited:

jean5614

Likes Dirt
Actually scblack, if you read my reply it contained a lot more than just pointing out two wrong letters. Whilst you may shudder at the (which) attack on this post, I have tried to make the point that, people are not neccessarily blessed with great technical writing skills, but it should not disenfranchise them when it comes to a forum such as this. People have the right to be heard whether they are as proficient as Point and yourself, or as hopeless as you see me. If you can drag yourself away from self-torment for a couple of minutes, you might actually read what I have written rather than how I have written it. Surely that's the point of this thread after all.;)-Jack

Last edited:

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Actually scblack, if you read my reply it contained a lot more than just pointing out two wrong letters. Whilst you may shudder at the (which) attack on this post, I have tried to make the point that, people are not neccessarily blessed with great technical writing skills, but it should not disenfranchise them when it comes to a forum such as this. People have the right to be heard whether they are as proficient as Point and yourself, or as hopeless as you see me. If you can drag yourself away from self-torment for a couple of minutes, you might actually read what I have written rather than how I have written it. Surely that's the point of this thread after all.;)-Jack
Actually that's not the point of this thread at all. For the THIRD time I will quote what I wrote in post number 7 of this thread. THAT is the point.

And people should not and will not be disenfranchised from this forum because of mistakes... but they will be fed to the dogs when and as we see fit for laziness, lack of effort and lack of manners.

Oh and one other little point. Please don't mistake this for a democracy or "free" internet site. It is privately owned, paid for and run and the boss-man demands (as is his right) a certain set of standards that must be adhered to if people want to be a part of it. Those standards (despite what some might say here in this thread) are actually pretty simple really and not at all unfair, biased, fascist or discriminatory.

Hopefully this will be an end to the growing waffle in this thread. :rolleyes:

Grip said:
The biggest problem is not spelling or grammar or punctuation itself... because everyone makes mistakes and mistakes are OK. The biggest problem by far around here (with regards to this topic at least) is a total lack of effort by some people when they post.

And as far as I'm concerned, that lack of effort, care and manners in what they post just means they don't give a rat's arse... about the site, about the reader or basically about anything other than themselves.

So basically... no one is demanding perfection, but we would like a bit of effort. If nothing else it shows a bit of respect to the many thousands of people that read the post.

Rik

logged out
And one final note, to add to what Grip said about the issue being lack of effort moreso than anything else... a little poem:

I halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plane lee marques four my revue
Miss steaks aye ken knot sea

Eye ran this poem threw it
Your sure reel glad two no
It's vary polished in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew

A chequer is a bless sing
It freeze yew lodes of thyme
It helps me awl stiles two reed
And aides mi when aye rime