• No

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters

jackthelad23

Likes Bikes
The other day i was working on my freinds bike, lubing the pistons on his avids
when i noticed the cranks were sloppy,
The mobile mechanic, who had done a frame&fork swap
hadn't used BB spacers on the 68mm threaded BB.
which could have ended at the Dentist.
i noticed the Grease, was the same, as the last time i had worked on his old frame
LazY fuck, hadnt even wiped down treads on BB and regreased,or cleaned threads in the new frame.
Is this a name and Shame, or has it happened to others ?

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think most of us on here do our own stuff. Once we experience sheer incompetence you never use that service again. It's an unregulated industry - any punter can claim to be a bicycle mechanic, but you'd think the incompetent ones would disappear as fast as they appeared.

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
when i noticed the cranks were sloppy,
The mobile mechanic, who had done a frame&fork swap
hadn't used BB spacers on the 68mm threaded BB.
which could have ended at the Dentist.
i noticed the Grease, was the same, as the last time i had worked on his old frame
LazY fuck, hadnt even wiped down treads on BB and regreased,or cleaned threads in the new frame.
Is this a name and Shame, or has it happened to others ?
Hold your shaming for the moment. We all stuff things up. If it happens again, or if others that you talk to also concur, then spread the word. But be careful and fair with the reputation of others

jackthelad23

Likes Bikes
Feeling Annoyed

Just frustrated that my freind paid money to have bike built
and it wasnt done correctly, with a massive urge to hurt somebody

moorey

call me Mia
Shimano saint, converted to single ring
Saints are only single ring, AGAIK, and a missing BB spacer isn't going to cause cranks to fall off with Shimano.
My prediction. Your/his cranks are 83mm. Most Saint are. Your frame is 68/73. No amount of spacers can take up that 10mm of axle properly.
I actually don't really buy your story. Did you/mate fit cranks or the mechanic? Honestly....

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Swapping the BB over from the 83mm? on original bike to 68mm shell, - that BB would be too long to fit. Understand if a new 68mm BB was fitted that suits XC cranks, but there would be 10-15mm of slop on the Saint crank depending on if they used 3 or 1 spacer on the 68mm shell. That's alot of slop, how could anyone overlook that.

moorey

call me Mia
Swapping the BB over from the 83mm? on original bike to 68mm shell, - that BB would be too long to fit. Understand if a new 68mm BB was fitted that suits XC cranks, but there would be 10-15mm of slop on the Saint crank depending on if they used 3 or 1 spacer on the 68mm shell. That's alot of slop, how could anyone overlook that.
Hence calling it.... :whistle:

jackthelad23

Likes Bikes
Crank

whether it was SLX or Saint etc,
there was an excessive amount of play, for a first installation and only one shifter to fit.
And yes i recognise the grease, i mostly use a copper based antiseize grease, that has a certain texture and colour

moorey

call me Mia
whether it was SLX or Saint etc,
there was an excessive amount of play, for a first installation and only one shifter to fit.
And yes i recognise the grease, i mostly use a copper based antiseize grease, that has a certain texture and colour
Slx and Saint nothing alike. Most Saint 83mm, all slx are 68-73. If you are running the saints on a frame that had slx, there's your issue.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
when i noticed the cranks were sloppy
Have you spoken to the mobile mechanic about this issue? It sounds like he's either
A) A total fucking moron with no clue that takes advantage of people with no tools or time to get to a bike store
b) A total fucking moron with no clue that takes advantage of total fucking morons

jackthelad23

Likes Bikes
memorable mechanic

Have you spoken to the mobile mechanic about this issue? It sounds like he's either
A) A total fucking moron with no clue that takes advantage of people with no tools or time to get to a bike store
b) A total fucking moron with no clue that takes advantage of total fucking morons
he was so memorable, my friend, couldn't even remember the business name,
Probably didnt even get a follow up call, to see how bike was riding....
i'd go with A and B....
Yes my friend has less tools than me, thats why i help him, and have a coffee machine on Tap too

moorey

call me Mia
he was so memorable, my friend, couldn't even remember the business name,
Probably didnt even get a follow up call, to see how bike was riding....
i'd go with A and B....
Yes my friend has less tools than me, thats why i help him, and have a coffee machine on Tap too
Sorry. Your story is bullshit. Threaten to name and shame....then claim you can't remember name.
Fess up...you of your mate fitted the Saint cranks. Otherwise, give me a name and number of said mechanic, and I'll follow up on him.

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
Why though would you want to name and shame, instead of just outlining the problem and saying that your 'dodgy mate' did it

jackthelad23

Likes Bikes
why would i start a bike build, and not finish it
i never touched the new frame pre build
i did help with his old bike.
i know that the cranks he used required spacers on the BB, a single 2.5mm each side
it is still a bad experience, that the mechanic, did not see that the crank was loose.
when built and doing the limit screws on the single derailleur, that is on the bike.
Luckily, my freind, hasnt had time to ride the bike often enough, for an accident to happen
And i spotted it before a trip to the dentist happened.
Call Bullshit, if you want. but i know enough,about building and maintaining bikes
To know when i see a sloppy bad bike build too