Bang-for-buck upgrades

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Hi All

After my 120mm+ hardtails thread the other day, I've done a bit more thinking about upgrading and riding my current bike and transferring bits over to a new frame at a later stage, so looking for some advice
Currently my bike is a 2018 Trek X-Caliber 8 with only the seatpost being upgraded to a dropper. This is a bit fiddly with running 2x, so am thinking about a 1x conversion, as well as some longer travel forks. The idea is to bring it up to date and for it to be a 29er version of the Roscoe as they share a frame.
Current specs are here other than the change to a 150mm Bontrager dropper
So, upgrades I have in mind are:
  • Longer travel fork:
    • Bomber Z2s can be had for $800ish, are basically Fox 34s with different inners and can have their travel changed pretty easily. Probably what I'll end up with unless there are any other suggestions?
    • RS Golds are online for pretty cheap and look to be OK for the heavier rider - I'm around 95kg
    • RS Rebas I've seen too, but they seem higher up the tree from the 100mm RS Silvers I already have, and I don't really like them
  • 1x conversion
    • Currently have a mixed 2x10 groupset - XT RD, Deore FD and shifters with a 36/22 crankset
    • Thinking Deore M5100 11 speed shifters and SLX RD
    • Change to Deore 11S crankset
    • Assume I need an 11S chain too?
  • Crankset
    • Not sure on what crankset and chainring would work - again Deore looks pretty cost effective and reviews well
    • Deore cranks come with a 32t chainring - should be a good starting point
  • Cassette
    • Current bike has an 11-36 cassette, and I do use the 22/36 combo occasionally as my knees are pretty rubbish
    • Any suggestions on cassettes? 11-46 seems to be a pretty common wide range cassette
  • Brakes
    • Current ones are Altus-equivalent MT-200 and are better now they've been bled, so can live with them for now but likely next on the list
    • 2-piston Deore would likely suit, or worth looking at a 4-piston front and upgrade once?
I'll also probably put a shorter stem and some low rise bars as well, and maybe swap the stock dropper remote for a Wolftooth one at some point

Anything I haven't considered there, like a chain keeper?

Also, I would like to do this myself and learn to wrench my own bike and I need tools. Any suggestions on a decent tool kit?

Thanks in advance!

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
If your 95kg you might want to think about the Z1 over the Z2. The 36mm stanchions will help with stiffness.

11 speed is also fine. And the 4 pot brake up front is also a good idea.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Have you priced it up vs a second hand or new bike? OEM costs for manufacturers are much lower than retail costs for consumers.

Petero

Likes Dirt
Could quite easily use existing cranks, just get a new 11sp NW chainring to replace the 36t and offset ~3mm inwards. Just need to be careful of frame clearance.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Google your rear derailleur to see what it’s capacity is. If it can handle 46, which it may considering it takes a double front ring, just stay 10 speed and go 11-46 or 11-42 with a single ring. Save money on cranks and shifters plus 10sp parts are normally cheaper.
Not sure how the cable pulls on your post but you may be able to mod your left shifter to work with your dropper for extra $$$ saving. They work well and match the rest of your cockpit setup.

Rorschach

Best bag for buck is easily upgrading the pins on your platform pedals. Those few extra millimetres of grip will blow your mind.
I've got a set of these, grip isn't an issue. I'm actually thinking of going for some slightly shorter pins...

If your 95kg you might want to think about the Z1 over the Z2. The 36mm stanchions will help with stiffness.

11 speed is also fine. And the 4 pot brake up front is also a good idea.
I don't ride all that hard so discounted the Z1s, but will have a look

Have you priced it up vs a second hand or new bike? OEM costs for manufacturers are much lower than retail costs for consumers.
I have had a look, but honestly like the idea of making something my own. Idea will be to eventually take the bits from this one and transfer to a new frame, and then sell the current one on as 'stock'

Could quite easily use existing cranks, just get a new 11sp NW chainring to replace the 36t and offset ~3mm inwards. Just need to be careful of frame clearance.
I need to have a look, but I don't think the OEM ones I can take the chainrings off - haven't looked closely enough. I'll have a look though

Rorschach

Google your rear derailleur to see what it’s capacity is. If it can handle 46, which it may considering it takes a double front ring, just stay 10 speed and go 11-46 or 11-42 with a single ring. Save money on cranks and shifters plus 10sp parts are normally cheaper.
Not sure how the cable pulls on your post but you may be able to mod your left shifter to work with your dropper for extra $$$ saving. They work well and match the rest of your cockpit setup.
Thats not a bad idea, will have a look at those.

PJO

in me vL comy
I have had a look, but honestly like the idea of making something my own. Idea will be to eventually take the bits from this one and transfer to a new frame, and then sell the current one on as 'stock'
If this is what you are planning, don't bother making changes to your current bike unless you know the changes will be compatible with your new frame.
If you want to build up a new frame then buy one and start slowly gathering parts so that you know what to get.

You can get a Marin San Quentin frame for ~$800, it isn't a 29er but you can run a 29er front and can get a pretty beefy 27.5x2.6" tyre in the back, might even squeeze a 2.8". After having recently switched out my rear to a 27.5x2.8" from a 29x2.3", I can tell you that mullet is where it's at! ;)

Rorschach

If this is what you are planning, don't bother making changes to your current bike unless you know the changes will be compatible with your new frame.
If you want to build up a new frame then buy one and start slowly gathering parts so that you know what to get.

You can get a Marin San Quentin frame for ~$800, it isn't a 29er but you can run a 29er front and can get a pretty beefy 27.5x2.6" tyre in the back, might even squeeze a 2.8". After having recently switched out my rear to a 27.5x2.8" from a 29x2.3", I can tell you that mullet is where it's at! ;)
I've got my eye on a Honzo, and the upgrades I'm looking at are pretty compatible. Likely I will change my mind, but thats what I'm interested in at the mo. I did think frame first, but I'm impatient and doing this gives me gratification as well as letting me tune what I want to do moving forward

Rorschach

All these upgrades and no mention of the things that make the most difference.

Tyres, which ones you getting? Gunna run inserts to run even lower pressures?
I thought about adding that. I don't mind the stock Bontrager XR2s too much to be honest, but its in the back of my mind.
They roll pretty well I find, except on bloody pea gravel.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
I thought about adding that. I don't mind the stock Bontrager XR2s too much to be honest, but its in the back of my mind.
They roll pretty well I find, except on bloody pea gravel.
Pay the maxxis tax and get a highroller / DHR / DHF or Assguy. Or get some some schwalbe. It will change your life.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
  • Longer travel fork:
    • i would stick with a reba before gold -designed for 100mm, i’d only go to 120mm, maybe 130, try and find a 2nd hand fox32 maybe -as you say you don’t ride it hard, i have a couple of pairs x-fusion forks -good value & performance
  • 1x conversion
    • stick with 10mspeed, you already have an xt derailleur, buy a wide range 11-46 if you want to pair with it?
  • Crankset
    • can’t you just slap a 1x ring on the race face cranks -likely the deore are not better than them, with cranks you mostly going for weight savings, 50g or 100g makes little difference
  • Cassette
    • where u live determines cassette, either 11-42 or find a 11-46 wide range in 10mspd
  • Brakes
    • deore 1 finger levers are much preferred over the longer altus lever, i think you can just upgrade levers, use the same calipers
Lastly if it were me i wouldn’t throw too many $ at upgrades, if you decide you want to sell you won’t see return on buying new upgrade parts. the upgraded front tyre, like a hr2 as frenchman suggest is a good idea, or skinny dhf..pea gravel is difficult for any tyre though

Rorschach

• Longer travel fork:
    • i would stick with a reba before gold -designed for 100mm, i’d only go to 120mm, maybe 130, try and find a 2nd hand fox32 maybe -as you say you don’t ride it hard, i have a couple of pairs x-fusion forks -good value & performance
  • 1x conversion
    • stick with 10mspeed, you already have an xt derailleur, buy a wide range 11-46 if you want to pair with it?
  • Crankset
    • can’t you just slap a 1x ring on the race face cranks -likely the deore are not better than them, with cranks you mostly going for weight savings, 50g or 100g makes little difference
  • Cassette
    • where u live determines cassette, either 11-42 or find a 11-46 wide range in 10mspd
  • Brakes
    • deore 1 finger levers are much preferred over the longer altus lever, i think you can just upgrade levers, use the same calipers
Lastly if it were me i wouldn’t throw too many $ at upgrades, if you decide you want to sell you won’t see return on buying new upgrade parts. the upgraded front tyre, like a hr2 as frenchman suggest is a good idea, or skinny dhf..pea gravel is difficult for any tyre though
If I can use my existing cranks and move to a widerange 10s cassette, I should be OK. Changing brakes is an expense, but will see whats available. I can deal with the existing ones for a bit.
Is Reba a budget SID? Thats what I understood. I'd also prefer a 120mm fork and for the money, the Z2 reviews well. I also had a Z1 on the early 2000s Sintesi Thruster I bought off a mate, so there is also a nostalgia value in there
X-Fusion isn't a brand I'm familiar with, they also look more expensive than the Z2 and Reba

I guess new tyres and grips just don't cut it in the upgrade stakes anymore :D

Slowing heading towards keeping the frame and replacing everything else.
Already got new grips, tyres are in the pile but as I'm OK with the ones I have they're down ze list!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Already got new grips, tyres are in the pile but as I'm OK with the ones I have they're down ze list!
The first and biggest upgrade on any bike, best bang for buck and best gram per dollar weight loss is going tubeless... hope you got that in the pile already ?

Rorschach

The first and biggest upgrade on any bike, best bang for buck and best gram per dollar weight loss is going tubeless... hope you got that in the pile already ?
Its on the list when I look at tires. Honestly I've stuck with tubes so far because I'm lazy, but keen to change that

PJO

in me vL comy
I've got my eye on a Honzo, and the upgrades I'm looking at are pretty compatible. Likely I will change my mind, but thats what I'm interested in at the mo. I did think frame first, but I'm impatient and doing this gives me gratification as well as letting me tune what I want to do moving forward
Honzo is a great choice!!
I have ridden one and nearly bought one a couple of years ago. The only thing that put me off was I wanted a little more travel (than you).

If you have your eye on a Honzo then defintely get a decent beefy fork (especially if you are over 90kg), the Honzo geo will make you want to ride faster and a solid fork will feel way better descending and in the turns. i.e. anything with at least a 34mm+ diam stanchion Fox34, Revelation/Pike, DVO Saphire, etc...

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I run a 130mm fox rhythm on my Honzo and it's fine. Sometimes you can feel a bit of flex from the 34mm stanchions but it's not much. I'm 10kgs lighter but you should be fine with the Z2.