Banshee Rune 26". Built to ride down and up mountains.

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
Just finished ordering all the bits for this build, been umming and arrring (is that how it's spelt?) for a while about what way to go. I was originally thinking of buying a complete 160mm dually but after numerous discussions with riding buddies and countless hours of internet research decided that building a bike from scratch suited me better. Out of interest, the complete bikes I was considering were Lapierre Spicy, Orbea Rallon, GT Force X, Giant Reign (new one), and to a much lesser degree the Specialized Enduro (26). These bikes were all between $3000-$6000 depending on spec. These bikes all had a reasonable amount of parts I would want to swap out straight away so none of them were obvious choices. Building a bike of significantly better quality and a lot cheaper that was more original was the way to go for me. Something to consider though is that I don't put a price on the labour to build it as I will do it myself, plus the tools required. If you aren't into getting mechanical and tinkering then building from scratch may not be for you. I love it though.

Used complete bikes just didn't seem good value enough from what I could see when you build up buying from CRC etc yourself. I also need a size large frame and most used bikes seem to be mediums.

After I decided to go a build from scratch I needed to decide on a frame. This was largely based on a cracking deal I got on some 26" Hope Hoops (flow ex rims) and Maxxis High Roller 2 tyres from a rational fellow with two carbon nomads (who guided my choices in the build a lot also). So I needed a frame that was going to be future proof, as the cost of the build was fairly pricey for what I normally spend on "toys" for myself. A frame that was 26 and 27.5 compatible, alloy, with downhill favoured geometry was what I was after. I only really ride at the You Yangs, and love the more aggressive trails there (but downhill itself I don't have the balls for anymore, to be honest). The two frames I came down to in the end was the Dartmoor Wish (new model) from Fearless Cycles or the Banshee Rune (Defcon, see above banner ad). Customer service from both with pre purchase enquiries was excellent. The Banshee was the reliable option as it is so well reviewed and comes with the best rear shock you can get (the cane creek). The dartmoor worked out cheaper but if the same shock was on both bikes it was only a few hundred different.

Waiting for the Banshee frame to be delivered at the moment, looking at a few weeks until it's in my hands. Going for the stealth black finish.

Parts ordered or already on my current bike to swap over are:
Forks: Marzocchi 27.5 350 CR (hopefully the geo is fine with 26" wheels) very excited about these forks. The other option was Pikes or X Fusion Metrics. Couldn't pass up a great deal though on these from Jensen.
Wheels: hope pro2 hubs with stans flow ex rims
Tyres: Maxxis HighRoller2 front and Schwalbe rock Razor rear. Set up tubeless
Brakes: Formula T1R(these popped up on RB last week, was going to get Zees otherwise). Running organic pads, want to change to sintered due to brake fade at Buller
Seat: SDG ti fly
Seatpost: KS Integra 150mm dropper post
Bars: Nukeproof Warhead alloy 760mm 20mm rise
Stem: Answer Rove 55mm
Shifter: XT 10 speed
Rear derailleur: Zee wide range
Chain ring: Blackspire 32 tooth narrow wide
Cranks: SLX (debated on zee but these seem much better for what I need)
Cassette/chain: Sram 11-36 and KMC x10
Pedals: Was XT trail, now DMR V8 flats
Grips: ODI Vans lock ons
Computer: Magellan Cyclo 100

Once they start arriving I will post up some pics of the build. Very excited to see how it rides. Should be rolling in a few weeks. Keen to get your opinions on the specs.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411898212.201452.jpg

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
This is going to be a really nice build at a really sensible price. Looking forwarding to putting it beside one of the nomads and seeing exactly how close the geometry is, becuase on paper it's nearly identical.

No headset listed? Banshee model with frame or something else?
Does the new Rune model come with a intregra/stealth option, my 2013 model didn't, although the external cable'ing was excellent.

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
This is going to be a really nice build at a really sensible price. Looking forwarding to putting it beside one of the nomads and seeing exactly how close the geometry is, becuase on paper it's nearly identical.

No headset listed? Banshee model with frame or something else?
Does the new Rune model come with a intregra/stealth option, my 2013 model didn't, although the external cable'ing was excellent.
No, not using a headset. Saving some weight.

Or actually...the frame comes with a cane creek headset. And stealth routing is now available. Although it's not much of a difference on the Lev as it's static anyway. But if your going to do it once, do it right huh!
http://www.bansheebikes.com/bikes_page/banshee-rune-mountain-bike/

takai

Eats Squid
Does sound like a really nice spec. Plus the website price on the Banshee is really appealing.

I think i would have just gone an XT specced build though, SLX is nice but XT just feels better. Looking forward to seeing it built up too, especially as im tossing ideas of either a Wish or Rune with a set of Pikes and my existing XT/Hoops....

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
Does sound like a really nice spec. Plus the website price on the Banshee is really appealing.

I think i would have just gone an XT specced build though, SLX is nice but XT just feels better. Looking forward to seeing it built up too, especially as im tossing ideas of either a Wish or Rune with a set of Pikes and my existing XT/Hoops....
I agree, XT is what I prefer and it's price is not much more generally. However with cranks I just couldn't see the difference in SLX to XT, considering I will take the chainrings off and put on a narrow wide ring. The weights are the same, BB are the same and it's only the look that's different. It was about $50 less for SLX cranks I recall. After discovering that Zee cranks are basically Deores with a paint job it was SLX for me.

takai

Eats Squid
Will be interested to see how this would go up the Lysterfield CG XC track. Thats one of my benchmarks for climbing on a trail bike, my Reign does it ok, but is a bit squirmy under power up the rocky technical bits.

markgab

Likes Dirt
Good drivetrain choice :)
Banshee runes and spitfires look sweet

If going 1x10 a zee rd would be better than an Xt rd (short cage).
Cranks are cranks.
Shifters at least an Xt for smoothness.

Only thing i dislike is the brakes :x
Xt's or Zees cant go wrong.

Agostino

Likes Dirt
Why ?

Just curious?

I would have thought that Zee is closer to the SLX range than the XT range.
I think he is trying to say a Zee comes in medium/short cages (short cage being the best) where as XT only come in medium/ long cages.

markgab

Likes Dirt
I think he is trying to say a Zee comes in medium/short cages (short cage being the best) where as XT only come in medium/ long cages.
Yeaps short cages reduces chain slap and shifting is so much better.
Couldn't be happier when i went saint, i assume zee is the same as the mechanics are very much similar :)

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Yeaps short cages reduces chain slap and shifting is so much better.
Couldn't be happier when i went saint, i assume zee is the same as the mechanics are very much similar :)
Ah right so, I thought you were stating that Zee was comparable quality to XT.
I went Zee when converting to 1x on my Trance, never dropped a chain. The new rig has just been gifted a Saint RD coming from a (disliked ) X9 type 2.....

Saint build quality is far superior to the Zee.

Useless

Likes Dirt
Looking forward to how this turns out!
Looking into building an AM bike myself (when funds allow for it) and couldn't decide on a frame. Being from DH I want something with aggressive geo and want to try out 27.5 too, so according to your summary of the frame this sounds like the bike for me aswell haha.
Once you get her running nicely, reckon you could post a ride report? very interested

Cheers, Kieran

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Looking into building an AM bike myself (when funds allow for it) and couldn't decide on a frame. Being from DH I want something with aggressive geo and want to try out 27.5 too, so according to your summary of the frame this sounds like the bike for me aswell haha.
Once you get her running nicely, reckon you could post a ride report? very interested

Cheers, Kieran
Or you could look at a Banshee Spitfire, not as slack as the Rune and can still run 150/160mm forks.

Zac Hinton

St Bernard

Cheers, Kieran
Sure will, I'm pretty sure it will be awesome though, check out the reviews on them.

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
Good drivetrain choice :)
Banshee runes and spitfires look sweet

If going 1x10 a zee rd would be better than an Xt rd (short cage).
Cranks are cranks.
Shifters at least an Xt for smoothness.

Only thing i dislike is the brakes :x
Xt's or Zees cant go wrong.

I believe that the shifter is more important than the derailleur for shifting effectiveness (hence xt shifter). Zee RD is bargain priced and suits the riding I do. Only thing I don't like about it is that the pulleys don't have sealed bearings. Smashed it a few times and it keeps coming back. And it looks rad.

Regarding brakes, have you ever used high end Formulas? I have some older formulas (oros) on my current bike and they have been terrible to setup, but Formula ROs are outstanding. Chalk and cheese. So looking forward to the "ones". If I don't like them, no problem, try something new and on sell. It's the only way you find out what parts work for you.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I had a set of Formula T1s on the Spitfire, they were awesome. A little awkward to set up, especially on the thicker Hope discs. I had no problems when using Formula discs tho.
I far prefer the modulation and feedback from Formulas over Shimano, it's just a pity I smashed the master cylinder in a stack a couple of weeks ago.
Parts are very expensive... But performance is excellent.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Another formula fan here, awesome brakes.

Owned both The Ones and RO's. Both have been fickle free and completely reliable - once the initial bleed was done, which was a pain in the arse to get perfect the first few times.

I prefer RO's over The Ones, more power and more modulation, although The Ones I had didn't have the FCS so I couldn't adjust exactly where I wanted the pads to contact.

I'd still be on The Ones if RO's didn't exist. Shimano are nice enough if you like the way they feel, but they're not for me.

This is a Great looking build.

Can't wait to see how it will turn out. I have been looking at the Banshee Rune and Intense Uzzi for an aggressive all mountain/do it all bike.

Very interested to see how the weight goes on the final build. How many kegs do you think you will be pulling up that hills?