DH Banshee Scythe - update page.3 homemade content 31/10/10

dh1

Likes Dirt
I have been out of DH now for about 2 years. When I finally decided to get back into it I couldn't go past the banshee scythe, especially when I picked up a complete build for dead cheap. It has taken a couple of months to get it to where it is now, including changing the forks, wheelset, crankset and shock. All up it has cost me about $2000 and I am extremely happy.

I am running it in the 7" DH setting as it felt better then the 8". It felt so smooth and stable and pedals really well and brakes even better. It also feels really playful and easy to flick around due to its weight, which it could easily drop more.

Full Spec list:

Frame - 2008 Banshee Scythe
Rear shock – Pushed dhx5
Front shock/fork – 2008 Fox 40rc2 Ti spring
Handlebars - Sunline V1 780mm wide
Stem - Funn Direct Mount
Headset - Homemade 2-degree angle reducer also 1.5 to 1 1/8 reducer
Grips - Odi Lock-on
Saddle - Funn
Seatpost - Truvativ
Front brake - Avid Juicy 7 Straightline levers 8” Rotor
Rear brake - Avid Juicy 7 Straightline levers 8” Rotor
Cranks – Saint
Chainguide – E13 LG1
Chain - Sram
Pedals - Funn Soljam
Rear derailleur - Sram X9
Rear shifter - Sram X9 9-speed
Cassette - Sram PG 970 DH
Front hub – Imperial Gold
Rear hub – Imperial Gold
Front rim - Mavic Ex721
Rear rim - Mavic Ex721
Rear Axle - Maxel
Spokes - DT swiss
Front Tyre - 2.5 Minion Dual ply
Rear Tyre - 2.5 HighRoller Dual ply
Tubes – Maxxis DH tubes
Total weight – 18kg

Hope you enjoy.

Attachments

Last edited:

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it does look fantastic, i missed out on one pitty i did,

tho a quick question, it may be me or the shot. tho that last pic, makes the head angle look super sharp, XC like. is it actually like that or is it the photo?

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Apparently you can get an angle headset cup for it which can slacken the head-angle.
K2 make one. May be a couple others now.

lobstar

Likes Dirt
Rigs looking great! loving the all black, a lot nicer then the grey I've got. How does the air shock perform?
Yeah there are reducers for the bike, I'm currently running them and they have imporved the bike soo much! I have a spare brand new set for sale if you or anyone is keen btw.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hands down the best looking scythe i've ever soon.
Sweet bike man, hope it rides as good as it looks!
Enjoy :)

dh1

Likes Dirt
it does look fantastic, i missed out on one pitty i did,

tho a quick question, it may be me or the shot. tho that last pic, makes the head angle look super sharp, XC like. is it actually like that or is it the photo?
thats just the picture, and the fact that the bike is pointed down a small slope as well. it is however around 65.5 degrees

I shall look into one of these headsets. it fell pretty good as is but the slacker the better. pm sent to you lobstar.

The air shock feels so good. It came with a vivid but I had the manitou spare and chucked it on to see what it was like and I haven't turned back since. the rear end feels so smooth and the adjustments work really well. I always said that I would never run an air shock on a dh bike but this one just goes so well and I was really surpised by it.

FR_MANIAC

Likes Dirt
Looking real good mate.You've made a good choice with this bike.I'm stoked with mine as well.Have a look in my sig if you want to compare.....

mxwill63

Likes Dirt
BEAUIFUL bike mate, real cheap for a scyth as well, just a quick question though, what year model are those fox 40s, because they are real sweet and i've never come across that design, sure looks good though:p

dh1

Likes Dirt
BEAUIFUL bike mate, real cheap for a scyth as well, just a quick question though, what year model are those fox 40s, because they are real sweet and i've never come across that design, sure looks good though:p
they are 08 models. I always wanted black 40's so i stripped back the grey/silver and took it to a custom car shop around the corner from my work and for $50 they gave them a really good spray. they were usings a really high quality paint and the finish came out real good.

As for the stickers I just reused the ones that I took off the forks. with the actually "fox" stickers I cut out the white/grey writing and the grey boarder so it was just the blue outline of the work and the tail and thats how they turned up. the white stickes I didn't do anything to. Saved me $54

FR_MANIAC yours looks really nice, so clean

motox199

Likes Dirt
Bike looks unreal zeb, did you end up machining the hub like you said at tafe?
Pm me about that d8 frame too mate

t-robb

Likes Bikes
this bike looks mint as! hope you have fun with it! just my opinion, but i reckon if you add some more gold elements on it to match the hubs, to make it a black and gold colour scheme, it would look completely prime!

DH'er_28

Likes Dirt
I can't understand how you got that for $2000 that is an awesome bargain... great bike mate looks pimp.