Baw Baw race track info

Calvin M

Likes Dirt
What is this track like? How does it compare to International, Barjarg or Yack. Whats the shuttle like.
Trying to deside which state rounds to ride and if the 5hr drive is worth it.
Also how long does it take to get from Lilydale to Baw Baw.

Apparently Baw Baw has a heap of fireroad. Instead of comparing it too Barjarg, Yack and such.... iv been told its more along the lines of Abom!

Last edited:

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rolleyes ?

Rufnut is in Wodonga (NE Vic) which we estimate will be a 5 hr drive to Baw Baw. Trying to find out if its better to go "the back way" through Lilydale or stick to the freeway thru Melb and out to Gippsland.

:rolleyes:

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rufnut is in Wodonga (NE Vic) which we estimate will be a 5 hr drive to Baw Baw. Trying to find out if its better to go "the back way" through Lilydale or stick to the freeway thru Melb and out to Gippsland.
I think it would be a fair bit quicker to go Euroa, Merton, Yarra Glen, turn off before Lilydale to Yarra Junction, then Powell Town to Baw Baw. Is quicker for me to go to Baw Baw via YJ and Powell Town from Ringwood than the SE freeway thru Neerim Sth. Crap drive if you follow the Hume and the SE freeway too, boring as all fuck.

From what I have been told the track is pretty fast and fun but not super techy, should be a good weekend.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
lillydale to baw baw, bout hour and half, unless youve got a driver who likes windy and just.. crap roads, then your looking bout 45min-hour.

Duff_Man

Likes Dirt
Wisey mate like i told you the other day BAW BAW is a round you dont wana miss!! It is one of the coolest tracks out there and is a heap of fun to ride! As for it being mostly fire road this is not true. There is a little bit of fire road at the top and a little bit of fire road at the bottom. The best way to think of the track would be a mixture of the tracks at buller. There is tight flat corners, corners with berms, a "mexican" section (prity much a section unlike the rest of the track, where the dirt is different and so forth, you will see what i mean when you are there). Now, as there has been a heap of new riders to the sport in the last few years i would imagine that many of you have never been to baw baw to ride, i was lucky enough to do the last race held there back in 2002, i think, and i had a ball! The technical level of the track isnt all that high but there are some sections that are tricky to do fast. There is a few jumps, a rock roller thing, some drops, a few gaps and some flat out sections!! The shuttle is done on a sealed road and normally isnt that long i suggest that you dont skip this round because it is going to be good!!! Such a good track infact i will not be putting my hand up to drive and will be racing for sure!!

Duff_Man

Likes Dirt
one thing i forgot to add is that if you are heading from melbourne take the freeway as much as you can...the tight gay shit road that looks faster is tight as fuk and will take you ages....unless of course you have a wrx and like to drift!!!

Calvin M

Likes Dirt
chu your a muppet

Have a look at my location first next time yeah.

Thanks Duff Man and everone else for giveing the info I needed. Sounds like its worth the drive see you there.

CrookS

Likes Dirt
this fire road that is spoken off just happens to have a natural spring running through it and it could be a 40 deg week and it would still be slop so its not just a walk in the park (well if the track is the same). Anyone who doesnt come to this round because they think its not worth it is stupid and should sell their bike.

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
It's not really a gap, he just sent a jump stupidly, stupidly massive.

Track has some really fun, fast sections, and a lot of flow to it. It's pretty loose up there right now, so get up there and practise the track, it's worth it. In the end, should be about a 4 minute track from the lookout bit, or a 4.15 if they run it from the very top of the hill. So around 4.45 for all of us who aren't freakshow fast.

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
this fire road that is spoken off just happens to have a natural spring running through it and it could be a 40 deg week and it would still be slop so its not just a walk in the park (well if the track is the same). Anyone who doesnt come to this round because they think its not worth it is stupid and should sell their bike.
The spring you talk of is going to have a little channel cut across the fireroad, and rocks over the top so hopefully it shouldn't be too bad. If not, they're be that many riders, that it'll be the one tacky part of the track.

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats the one, I tried Mtbfreak.com where I originally got the video but realised its probably been out of existence for many years now.