Be carefull, steel jump @ Oxford

bethextrem1

Likes Dirt
I hope he recovers quickly and fully.

I don't think that there's that much wrong with the jump, you need to take into consideration all variables. I don't think that it's that big, kurrajong is noticably bigger, and so are pro bmx jumps. That being said it is made out of steel and wood, which I think is more a mental thing.

To anyone that wants to hit this up my advice is to watch someone who has and can do it, pay close attention, ask questions, if your still not shore wait there is always another day.

jrewing

Eats Squid
I hope he recovers quickly and fully.

I don't think that there's that much wrong with the jump, you need to take into consideration all variables. I don't think that it's that big, kurrajong is noticably bigger, and so are pro bmx jumps. That being said it is made out of steel and wood, which I think is more a mental thing.

To anyone that wants to hit this up my advice is to watch someone who has and can do it, pay close attention, ask questions, if your still not shore wait there is always another day.
Yeah Kurrajongs bigger but i reckon my balls would be further up my throat just as i'm hitting the up ramp

hi,

Correct me if i'm wrong but that picture above is the old jump.

Below are some recent pictures of the new metal jump that replaced the wooden one shown above.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
that photo might be deceiving but it doesnt look that bad, any jump has the possiblity of knocking you out and doing alot of damage

as said before if you dont like it dont hit it, i still refuse to do jumps or obstacles i think are dodgy, no mattter if ive done them before or not

[edit] just saw that new picture, theres not even a gap to it why are people wanting to go as fast as possible when you could case that huge and ride out?

Last edited:

zaccyboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Me and my mate Andrew talked to him on the phone today, had to explain what happened to him. Thank god Anderson was their (he gave Chuckie C.P.R).
I was out at Windsor for the day otherwise I would have been their with him.
Get well soon Mark.
Sounds like a horrible story.

Plow King

Little bit.
hi,

Below are some recent pictures of the new metal jump that replaced the wooden one shown above.

That's the one at the top. I'm prettty sure they're talking about the one at the bottom which is fairly dodge.

zaccyboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
that photo might be deceiving but it doesnt look that bad.
That photo really does nothing for the jump, the take off is about 1.2m high and fairly steep and that red pallet at the top of the down ramp has recently been removed. And the gap is easily 7-8 metres just to the very edge of the downramp from the top of the take off. Not to mention how steep the down ramp actually is.

m1black

Likes Dirt
hi,

You stand corrected, the above picture is the new one, and your example is half way down the track. The gap in question is at the bottom.

F1234K

Likes Dirt
Yeah the jump was the one down the bottom, not this one shown which is in the middle of the track.

The one down the bottom is of similar design, but it is off a 2, 2 1/2 meter high ledge with a big gap between the ledge and the lander.

The basic problem most people see with this jumps is that because there is no safety at the back of the landing you HAVE to make it to the landing as a bare minimum. This makes people want to really gun for it because honestly, if you short it you are going to be even worse off that what happened here.

If there was a safety then you can try and hit it with less speed and gauge how close you came to the downramp and adjust accordingly.

The way it is now you have to get it spot on the first time. No room for error.

And comeone guys, everyone makes mistakes. Who here has not had a stack on something they have done many times before?

So it comes down to weighing up the thrill versus the consequences. In my book this jump is heavilly weighed on the consequences side. Thus I won't do it.

The jump at Kurrajong is down a hillside. There is no verticle drop to flat if you miss the landing because the whole hill is the landing. That is a completely different matter and makes the jump MUCH MUCH safer.

The jump pictured before is the first one this builder made and that one makes sense because the landing is up against the rock ledge and if you short it it doesn't matter. This means people could try it and get their speed right.

Personally I think there could be a much more fun jump built down the bottom which really uses the speed you get from doing Veggie. It will most likely be a much larger gap, but not so dirt jump style up/down. More sender and move the landing way out with a big flat safety on it. More people would enjoy it and that is the whole point isn't it?

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
I agree. Hero jumps where there is no room for error are risky, and don't help people progress into jumping by allowing them to case it when learning to 'send' it properly. But I'm a sissy.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep - if I were building this sort of stuff, I'd be putting in things to reduce the consequences of messing up.

However, if all the trail building was left up to me, there probably wouldn't be a whole lot of trails, since I'm a lazy bastard. Props to the builders for having a go. I'm not sure that they got the angles quite right this time aroud, so I'll be giving it a miss.