Becoming the perfect figure

ando120

Likes Dirt
Hey all, I basically want what the title says.
I want a figure that is both appealing and perfect for racing DH, I'm unfit and so tired of getting buggered real easy at races. I am 180cm tall, and a skinny build, really unfit though. I have access to a XC bike and so far that's it. My diet isn't too good either so what I'm looking for is a training planner and a diet planner.

Any help would be perfect!

0psi

Eats Squid
Ride lots, go to the gym, eat well. Run occasionally. It's not rocket science.

There's no magic formula mate, get out there and do it. You don't need to worry about doing this and that so long as you are doing something. When you start getting to the pointier end of things and your gains start slowing down then you can worry about a plan, till then, go do stuff. Oh, sorry, go do stuff consistently. That's the key.

Bodin

GMBC
Yep, all of the above. And if that's not working for you after a few months, just track down anyone who used to work at the Essendon Football Club...

Too soon? :tsk:

ando120

Likes Dirt
Haha! I'll hit up essendon for some products. Umm, i'm not a lazy arse, i'm unfit because of not being able to do stuff because of medication... I just thought a plan would make an even balance of muscle, or do i sound like a d*ckhead?

Bodin

GMBC
Haha! I'll hit up essendon for some products. Umm, i'm not a lazy arse, i'm unfit because of not being able to do stuff because of medication... I just thought a plan would make an even balance of muscle, or do i sound like a d*ckhead?
Not at all mate - everything like this works better with some kind of plan. I only ride and run, so I can't offer much advice on upper body strength, but I'm sure plenty on this forum can.

0psi

Eats Squid
i'm unfit because of not being able to do stuff because of medication... I just thought a plan would make an even balance of muscle,
In that case consult your doctor. The medical centre I go to has dieticians and a couple of doctors with sports backgrounds which makes things a heap easier. Having a doctor that understands what you want to do makes a huge difference, some people just don't get sports.

And seriously, plans are pointless unless you are already quick and strong. There is method to my madness, if you do stuff when you feel like it then you are-
1. More likely to stay interested as you aren't being forced to do things you may not feel like. Motivation is a hard one, the more fun you have the more you'll do.
2. Less likely to get injured. If you are feeling shot then you'll just take time off.
3. Your sessions will be of better quality.

The last one is the most import out of those. For one you'll actually want to do the sessions so you'll put everything you have into the sessions you do. Sometimes if you are made to do a session when you aren't quite ready for it then you'll show up, go through the motions for no real gain. Add to that the longer recovery that inevitably follows and it's a compounding problem.

In your case there are other issues which you'll need to talk to a professional about.

If you are wondering how far this 'do what you feel like when you feel' regime will take you, well, I ran my first sub 30 minute 10km and my first sub 2 hour Olympic distance Triathlon with no real plan. I just did stuff when I felt like it. There was still about 20hrs on average per week of work but I had no 'plan' as such.

ando120

Likes Dirt
Wow, this was the kind of answer i was hoping for! I'll take your advice, the whole lot of it and just take things as they come. Thankyou all!

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I agree with this completely, but...

And seriously, plans are pointless unless you are already quick and strong. There is method to my madness, if you do stuff when you feel like it then you are-
1. More likely to stay interested as you aren't being forced to do things you may not feel like. Motivation is a hard one, the more fun you have the more you'll do.
2. Less likely to get injured. If you are feeling shot then you'll just take time off.
3. Your sessions will be of better quality.
I'm going to disagree with everything stated here, it also goes against everything I have learned / experienced about both clinical rehab and elite sports training - two very different fields with two very similar approaches.

You need to set small and achievable goals that lead to larger long term goals, they need to have a very specific time frame involved otherwise your just kidding yourself. Even a goal starting at 1 day, then a week... then a month, very effective method - makes your mount Everest feel a lot smaller and more achievable.

You need to see someone capable (exercise physiologist would be your best bet) of assessing your current state and determining your goals, potential progression and most importantly monitoring your improvements / or modifying your approach if your are not achieving your goals.

You need to find a willing training partner or join a club with good social support and fix specific times to train, it's much harder to pick out if you're letting someone else down.

If you just willy nilly decide to do some random activities at random times, you will fail in achieving anything. Plans are extremely important for all people wanting to improve their health, regardless of current state.

rsquared

Likes Dirt
I agree with this completely, but...

I'm going to disagree with everything stated here, it also goes against everything I have learned / experienced about both clinical rehab and elite sports training - two very different fields with two very similar approaches.

You need to set small and achievable goals that lead to larger long term goals, they need to have a very specific time frame involved otherwise your just kidding yourself. Even a goal starting at 1 day, then a week... then a month, very effective method - makes your mount Everest feel a lot smaller and more achievable.

You need to see someone capable (exercise physiologist would be your best bet) of assessing your current state and determining your goals, potential progression and most importantly monitoring your improvements / or modifying your approach if your are not achieving your goals.

You need to find a willing training partner or join a club with good social support and fix specific times to train, it's much harder to pick out if you're letting someone else down.

If you just willy nilly decide to do some random activities at random times, you will fail in achieving anything. Plans are extremely important for all people wanting to improve their health, regardless of current state.
Absolutely agree regarding goal setting and breaking down long term goals into smaller milestones with specific timelines. This goes to the basics of goal setting which should follow the SMART principle. Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely.

I don't agree that Ando120 would require an exercise physiologist. From this and other posts MWI, you seem to have something against Personal Trainers so I'm not sure if this is from previous experience with bad ones (which I absolutely agree the market is flooded with) but a good personal trainer is more suited in this situation I feel. Ando120 appears to simply require some exercise and nutrition plan advise along with goal setting, motivation and progress monitoring. All things that a good personal trainer will be able to provide. From your other posts MWI , you know your sh#t and have a lot of professional/elite level experience and as a personal trainer (in training) I'd love to work and learn under someone like yourself, but not everyone is or wants to be a pro level athlete so if we are telling people that they need an exercise physiologist to make some exercise and nutrition changes, the price of these physiologist sessions alone will prevent or turn a lot of people off. I'm currently seeing one for my rehab from major shoulder surgery and they aren't cheap!

Ando120, get yourself a good PT for 1 or 2 sessions a week for a couple of months (drop back to 1 session after that if you are progressing and confident), set some goals, get a training partner as you will need to do 2 or 3 more sessions a week outside your PT sessions, be honest with yourself about why you are doing this and what your motivations are and make sure you have fun with it.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I don't agree that Ando120 would require an exercise physiologist. From this and other posts MWI, you seem to have something against Personal Trainers so I'm not sure if this is from previous experience with bad ones (which I absolutely agree the market is flooded with) but a good personal trainer is more suited in this situation I feel. Ando120 appears to simply require some exercise and nutrition plan advise along with goal setting, motivation and progress monitoring. All things that a good personal trainer will be able to provide.
Yeah I do dislike personal trainers, it's a shocking industry with a very poor knowledge base that charges a premium, yes there are some very good PT's out there, but I haven't met many - shows like the biggest loser are actually making the industry worse. I did have a rationale for my recommendation which at a glance probably did appear to be biased against PT's, ando's quote from below is what prompted me to recommend a exercise phys over anything else.

, i'm unfit because of not being able to do stuff because of medication...
In regards to medication, personal trainers have no formal education or training around meds, having taught cert II, cert III and diplomas - most won't even understand how a NSAID or a panadol works (I would wager thge average exercise science undergrad wouldn't know either), which is fine as their job is to work with generic healthy adults, where as a exercise phys (AEP) has undergone 4-5 years (vs as little as 12 weeks) of tertiary education specifically around exercise programming and progression in less than healthy individuals and will understand any contraindications and approaches around prescription medication. They'll also probably charge the same fees or close too - I charge $60 hourly + the gyms trainer fee, If ando has a medical condition resulting in a sedentary lifestyle, he could ask his GP for a care plan which would enable at least 5 AEP visits to be bulk billed.

pylet_tibs

Likes Bikes
Yeah I do dislike personal trainers, it's a shocking industry with a very poor knowledge base that charges a premium.
Couldn't agree more. A PT should not step near anybody other than those within the healthy population. An EP would excel in a situation like this. If you are sedentary, you need to gradually increase your endurance/fitness in a progressed and to some point documented manner. Too often I see PT's thinking there clients need a flogging with over head heavy weights and poor form, not to mention there advice on nutrition.

Ando120, where are located? If in sydney PM me and I could put you in contact with my colleagues at USYD or my partner (EP).

ando120

Likes Dirt
haha, guys come on, my medication is for my skin, it's the reason why i stopped riding for a bit. I'm going off it completely in like a month and that's why i'm asking for a full day in day out plan to help me. I do love the feedback but i don't want to go when i want, because i'll never want too. If i pushed myself i'd start to enjoy it more when i see results. At the moment i'm definitely not gym worthy. I haven't been about to do any exercise for 6 months so i'mn as unfit as you can get. I need a perfect diet for myself which is a good thing because i'm not allergic to anything, I'm just fussy haha. The second thing is i need a dailey planner. My day consists of:

6:30am - wake up
6:30am-7:00am - breakfast
7:00am-7:30am - getting ready for college
7:30am-8:00am - getting to the bus and finish off packing my stuff
8:00am-3:00pm - school
3:30pm - get home for the day

That is my day, sun goes down at 6:00 so i have around 2.5 hours to do stuff.. give me half an hour to practice drums at least and i'm happy.

As for my daily intake, i have breakfast, brunch, lunch, tea. Normally in between the main meals i have a yoghurt or something good.

So any advice would be perfect, i have no idea what i should be eating or what i should be doing to train! haha