Beginner roadie <$2000

g1ant

Squid
Thanks everyone for the help and ideas so far. I will definitely check out alloy frames along with Jamis and Cannondale! The Caad-9 looks like a really nice bike...

Is there a problem with buying second hand roadies or should I look into that also?
Keep the help coming!

Not usually, but you will get some dodgy people who sell crashed\cracked carbon bikes and don't tell you. Make sure to check them thoroughly.

PS the CAAD9 is quite possibly one of the best aluminium bikes ever made.

Last edited:

Sketchy

Likes Dirt
Shop around abit.
I bought the brand new Azzurri Priomo for $2100 a while back. First roadie too!

http://www.azzurribikes.com/product_03.php?mid_class=A001&small_class=001&xs_class=001&psn=14

Some people seem to bagged the shit out of it. Saying, cost coz it's made in Taiwan then it must be crapped and there is a lot of flex in the frame when you peddling really hard.
But I haven't found that at all.
Maybe coz I can't ride really fast anyway!:D
$2100 for a Priomo, how did you manage that?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Good luck with your road bike purchase.

If you think you are going to get more on the heavy side, then look for some strong wheels for your ride.

Velocity Fusion or Deep-V wheels - Aussie made - would be a sound choice, and they tend to be cheaper than the Mavic etc wheelsets. ~$530 for Fusions vs $1000 for Ksyrium Elites at my LBS.

http://www.velocitywheels.com/default.asp?contentID=538

I'm getting a fusion wheelset for my Scott S10. I rang the Velocity factory & spoke to Quentin, who suggested them over Nuvians, as I was the 'wrong' side of 80kg, ie 100kg:rolleyes::D

Deep-Vs would be good if you wanted something reeally beefy & strong, and come in some fairly psychedelic designs.

The Stock Shimano wheels that came with the S10 looked good, but were fragile, and stiff as a bloody wet bagel.

If you want something lighter, you could look at getting Mavic Open pro 32H rims built up with 105 Hubs or whatever. Just make sure that your hubs are compatible with the cassette and rear stay spacing.

If you are a smooth rider, you MIGHT get away with low spoke-count wheels, but there are plenty of blokes who didn't. Leave the light wheels for racing.

g1ant

Squid
Good luck with your road bike purchase.

If you think you are going to get more on the heavy side, then look for some strong wheels for your ride.

Velocity Fusion or Deep-V wheels - Aussie made - would be a sound choice, and they tend to be cheaper than the Mavic etc wheelsets. ~$530 for Fusions vs $1000 for Ksyrium Elites at my LBS.

http://www.velocitywheels.com/default.asp?contentID=538

I'm getting a fusion wheelset for my Scott S10. I rang the Velocity factory & spoke to Quentin, who suggested them over Nuvians, as I was the 'wrong' side of 80kg, ie 100kg:rolleyes::D

Deep-Vs would be good if you wanted something reeally beefy & strong, and come in some fairly psychedelic designs.

The Stock Shimano wheels that came with the S10 looked good, but were fragile, and stiff as a bloody wet bagel.

If you want something lighter, you could look at getting Mavic Open pro 32H rims built up with 105 Hubs or whatever. Just make sure that your hubs are compatible with the cassette and rear stay spacing.

If you are a smooth rider, you MIGHT get away with low spoke-count wheels, but there are plenty of blokes who didn't. Leave the light wheels for racing.
$659 free delivery to australia
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Mavic_Ksyrium_Elite_Silver_Wheel_Set/5360033722/

Fulcrum Racing Zero for $1263 from the same place, $2400 from most bike shops around here.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Fulcrum_Racing_Zero_Wheel_Set/5360029724/

Just saying :)

Last edited:

Tallman

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the help so far y'all, I'll look into all the ideas people have been saying, ie second hand etc. Cheers!

skivi

Likes Dirt
Dont forget that professional fit!
would good shops like BSC, bike now, maybe port melbourne cycles, the freedom machine etc etc etc offer this service?
what do you do when you want to find the correct size and geometry for your body and riding style when you don't necessarily want to buy a new bike?

Binaural

Eats Squid
would good shops like BSC, bike now, maybe port melbourne cycles, the freedom machine etc etc etc offer this service?
what do you do when you want to find the correct size and geometry for your body and riding style when you don't necessarily want to buy a new bike?
Search the internet ;) I did this recently and did the measurements and it was an interesting experiment. I don't recall the sites unfortunately, but a little persistent googling should find them again. I do recommend checking a few, the question of what constitutes the best fit is a bit controversial.

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
If you want to get all your fitting measurements on paper, you can walk into any of the shops you've listed and pay for a fit up. I charge per hour, so some people will want to spend a good 1-2 hours with me working out every single final detail, but some people only need to spend 15mins with me getting the basics correct, and they can play with the rest of the smaller adjustments. It is always best to play with a bike that you own however!

Some guys use fit machines and all sorts of calculators, but I prefer to look at muscle movement and fluidity. We also adjust bikes to suit people who are racing, "sunday" riders or people who want to smash out 250km rides like around the bay in a day. Some people have specific medical difficulties to oversome, so you sometimes need to adjust things a little differently to ensure that you don't destroy peoples bodies!

Not all guys at all bike shops can do it, so drop in and ask who is experienced and what procedure they go through to fit you up.

skivi

Likes Dirt
thanks Alex, i might just do that, i'm back on the roadbike again after a prolonged absence of about 3 years, school then work, then travel now uni. i'm hoping to be doing about 300km a week for the next few months then just 60 or so a weekend when uni's back.

Search the internet ;) I did this recently and did the measurements and it was an interesting experiment. I don't recall the sites unfortunately, but a little persistent googling should find them again. I do recommend checking a few, the question of what constitutes the best fit is a bit controversial.
mmm i did this "Fit Calculator" through Competitive Cyclist but even if my measurements were accurate how reliable is the fit they give you? dunno

gpang

Likes Bikes
i think for just under $2000, you can get a felt F85. Real nice road bike. Full 105 gear. Hydro-formed Alloy frame.