Being filmed on the trails by RC helicopter - would it bother you?

While out for a ride, would you care if you were filmed from RC helicopter?

• Total voters

digitalformula

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

The title says it all, really. I'll preface this question by saying I don't own an RC helicopter capable of recording video - the research is being done for a different purpose.

Also, use the poll if you want - any comments are very welcome.

Anyway, if you were out for a ride in Australia, let's say You Yangs or Lysterfield near Melbourne for now as they're closest to me, would it/how much would it bother you if you were being filmed from a remote-controlled helicopter?

Not for commercial purposes, just to capture some sweet footage - filming from a UAV for commercial purposes without a permit is illegal in Australia. If you're rad, you might end up looking rad on YouTube, basically. An important note (in my opinion) is that in public areas/parks there's no "reasonable expectation" of privacy, suggesting that privacy laws don't apply there. Of course, this implies that the UAV is being operated in a safe & responsible manner that does not endanger anyone nearby.

The Australian laws I've read suggest that flying one around those areas would be legal - check out http://rpastraining.com.au/casr-101-uav-drone-legal-or-illegal/, if you're interested. I haven't yet read up on the legalities of flying over protected land areas like Lysterfield (run by Parks Victoria) - this research is just starting.

Cheers,
digitalformula

Last edited:

Koper25

Likes Dirt
Wouldn't bother me. Realistically it's not like we have any privacy these days anyway. Everything we do is tracked, recorded, etc. in one way or another.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
As an owner and pilot of RC helicopters I would be worried, yes. Obviously there are many factors, but RC helis are a very dangerous piece of equipment and in the wrong hands, poorly maintained or incorrectly set up can be lethal. A heli large enough to carry a camera can cause significant damage to a person or property, larger ones even more so.
RC drones (multi copters) are probably more where it's at right now with aerial filming, due to their relative ease of operation, relative low price and perceived lower risk of injury.
While they can still cause injury, they don't tend to do much due to having small plastic propellers as opposed to big carbon fibre blades.
I'd be comfortable with a quad filming.

digitalformula

Likes Bikes
As an owner and pilot of RC helicopters I would be worried, yes. Obviously there are many factors, but RC helis are a very dangerous piece of equipment and in the wrong hands, poorly maintained or incorrectly set up can be lethal. A heli large enough to carry a camera can cause significant damage to a person or property, larger ones even more so.
RC drones (multi copters) are probably more where it's at right now with aerial filming, due to their relative ease of operation, relative low price and perceived lower risk of injury.
While they can still cause injury, they don't tend to do much due to having small plastic propellers as opposed to big carbon fibre blades.
I'd be comfortable with a quad filming.
Thanks for that - good points.

I should've been more specific, too. I'm talking specifically about quadcopters right now as that's what the research is aimed at. To be even more specific, the DJI Phantom 2. Apologies for the misleading wording. :)

kwikee

Likes Dirt
DJI have really made multi copters mainstream. They are a very tidy machine and seem to feature in a lot of the news reports about unlawful quad operation!
The autopilot features make them quite reliable and smooth, and they are fairly easy to fly compared to a true 5 channel + collective pitch helicopter.
Good luck with it!

Pastavore

Eats Squid
For me, it would depend.

The privacy issue is a non-question, no one is ever going to accuse me of stylish riding.

If the drone was being operated responsibly and safely well away from the trail, no problem.

If the thing was flying low and literally following the rider down the trail, that would annoy the hell out of me on a safety basis.

But I am a cranky old man, others views will vary.

mint355

Likes Dirt
Had a guys flying his drone at the race I did on the weekend. I herd it and was like what the fuck is that noise. You can fly them by waypoints along a trail. If I get hold of the footage I'll post it up. Oh it never bothered anybody....

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
This is why I have never (successfully) made a sextape, that and "Fat, Hairy Guy Goes It Solo" won't be setting and viral video records.
Maybe you'll need a few props in it to help the marketing, eggplant, cucumber, watermelon with a hole in it... think big.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Like others, the filming aspect doesn't really bother me, but how the thing is flown could be a concern. As long as it's not in a position to distract the riders, or worse, put them at risk if the pilot stuffs up - either being hit by the thing or having a stack as a result of being put off by the 'copter having a stack.

stirk

Burner
It's magpie swooping season, you'll be going through a few copters.

Personally if I saw a copter buzzing around me all the time I'll carry a paint gun and decorate it!

Hidden cams although a little creepy might yield less video of people giving you the finger...

digitalformula

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the responses so far - all interesting except the sex tape stuff ... haha. That is, unless you're planning on making one while on the trails. :)

Safety concerns aside (they would be taken care of) it's good to know some care, some don't.

For anyone that hasn't read the link I posted in the first place, you're not allowed to fly a UAV less than 30m from a person anyway. Even if the thing did crash, hopefully the chances of taking someone out would be minimal/pretty close to zero. Hopefully.