Best Excuses?

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know it's late people but I was just wondering what excuses some of you have used for picking up a new rig? Today my personal stable has gotten back into double figures again and it's becoming harder to explain the rationale for needing so many bikes. Today I added a beautiful steel GT Peace 9'r to the collection, I got home from work rather late and had to explain the strange beast I was riding.
Wife. "What's That!"
Me. "Oh, you remember two years ago when I wanted a singlespeed 29 inch bike, well the backorder finally came through".
Wife. Silence:mad:

I want to know the best lines used on family or the significant other for your aquisitions, I'm fresh out.

GravityGuru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Live out of home... no significant other.... I do what I want :D Not that my mum ever really cared, but if she ever asked, I went with old faithful "At least I'm not spending it on drugs..."

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like to refer to gambling, drugs and hookers as the holy trinity.
Unfortunately the Mrs wouldn't believe that anyone would sleep with me, even for vast sums of money. Which says interesting things about her really.:)

-Jordan-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haha - if you're planning to keep those bikes I wouldn't let her see your last post. ;)

Just save up a bit more next time and buy her a nice gift when you bring the bike home. You can quickly grab it out of the car while she's not looking - won't even notice once it's in the pile.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Fatman, does your missus ride any of those bikes? Maybe she'd get a good grip on your reality if she threw a leg over one.;)
The back order came in............it sounds like it worked!:eek:

When I get a new toy I always say that it is a super special and you'd be nuts to let it slide. I often say that I don't need it right now but the old bike is starting to show signs of age and it would be cheaper to just get a new bike!
My fiance has chased me up the street plenty of times because I've told her a bit of a fib..............:eek:

Viv92

Eats Squid
Drugs for me too, beer in particular.

When I bought my Reign I said: "It's better than spending it on alcohol, and I'll only get wasted half the time".

Stack Shack

Likes Dirt
Im only 16 so i dont need to explain to a wife just yet.

My mums a bit of a safty freak so i try to explain how much safer a new Bike would be. "Hydro brakes would stop me faster in an emergancy mum. And look....it comes with a bell"

Hobzai

Likes Bikes
I'm kind of fortunate in this respect because I don't need excuses. My other half only asks one question when I return with a new addition to the collection - "So when do *I* get to take it for a thrash?" We ride the same size frames.

"The back order came in." - LOL. That's feeling around the bottom of the nearly-empty excuse sack for sure!

tallongdownhill

Likes Dirt
i'm a repeat offender for doing this i'm always bringing goodies home for myself.When i spend money on the car it's " babe it really needs it,if i put a cheap part in it will break" she's cool with that,bikes is "well at least i didn't bring home another motor bike i can get fit" she just generally laughs at me.I think i have found a happy medium buy my toys buy her gifts it seems to work.

jirtdumpdan

Likes Dirt
haha dude i use this one when im last to class, but you can change it round so its like this,

you saw an old lady slip on some ( mud, water, wet concrete ) and she spilt her shopping all over the road. you couldnt walk past something like that? she was like 70! so you helped her pick it all up and she turned out to be really rich and gave you a reward?

so you decided to treat your self and spent it on a new rig

also maybe when she asks how many youve got, tell her a few more than is true, that way when you bring a new one home you can say " count them theres the same number there was last time '' ;)

good luck

Mahoney_007

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a mate who tells his misses "Trav had a bike built up and wasnt using it so he gave it to me" his last 2 bikes came outta my shed apparently, in brand new condition ;)

sit_still

Likes Dirt
"I put this on layby ages ago had like $50 left to pay off it so thought why not"

its worked a couple of times:p

contagion

Likes Dirt
My parents stopped asking now... I think they just accepted that I'm going to put most of my money into bikes and are glad I'm not on drugs and hookers (yep that one a work out from me) and actually do something that makes me fit.

fatnold

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have no probs because my other is always trying to scheme new bikes passed me!:)
i have a buddy who is not allowed to spend money on more bikes, he tells his wife that he has just painted one of his other bikes. ;)
guess you would need a moderately gullible wife.

Last edited: