Best Excuses?

faz

Likes Dirt
I ordered a new bike today:) but it wasn't so much as making excuses for it, I'd like to think I put put forward a reasonable case which in the end (nearly 5 months on) she just had to say yes.

Ever since she got her license just over a year ago I've never got the car anymore:mad: so the bike will double as my commute to work.

jez_dh

Squid
there's always buying a pink bike or something similar, if you don't mind that. then drop the line : "i bought this one for you babe, so we could spend some more time together... *kiss*, *hug*, *tears of joy cause you are such a great husband*"...
how often will she ride it? means its yours the rest of the time right?

BM Epic

Eats Squid
And more sex in the few weeks they're away than in the past few years. ;)
Nah,
Secret to 17 year's marriage, is good sex with wife upon return, and abstinance when they are away,plus bike part's when they come back, and a clear conscience.
Yeah baby!

mongoosedh

Banned
Hahahah you got it down.

I don't need excuses to buy things because my mum says "Whatever, as long as it doesn't cost me anything." Sweet as

Delmar

Likes Dirt
How do some of you guys do it? I dream about a stable of bikes! I have a very old roadie and my real bike (mtb). Admittedly a very nice bike, but when it comes to update/more money I've got nothin - used all the excuses long ago (and some of these in this thread wouldn't even come close to flying...).

Beg/plead/drop 'subtle' comments, thats where I'm at; it becomes like geology: time and pressure. It's a patience game...

I'm about 2 yrs from my next bike I reckon.

Last edited:

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You want me to be safe don't you??

I tell my wife that my mates have catastrophic accidents as a result of equipment failure.

And as we all know, the only way to avoid catastrophic equipment failure is to always have new equipment.

projectsplat

The film guy
mmm i used to have free reign, but now that we have shacked up together, and the bikes are in the living room, there has been a 3 rig limit put on the house. I am investigating storing bikes at other peoples places.....

Everytime I mention buying another bike, I get the "well, one of these other ones has to go...." :(

deaks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
when i go on about buying a new bike, my parents go on about it costing more than there first 3 cars :eek:

faz

Likes Dirt
Tell them that you bike is more reliable than their Model T Ford (you might want to stand back after saying that too them though, they might take offence:eek:)

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Today my personal stable has gotten back into double figures again and it's becoming harder to explain the rationale for needing so many bikes.
Do you need to justify the extra bike, the money used to purchase it or both?

I think my stable has reached a point where an extra ride could go largely unoticed (takes me a while to remember what I've got these days...), and I'm concentrating more on picking up retro parts these days so there's less of a money issue than getting new bikes (unless its something very special).

My better half also has 4 bikes herself (MTB x 2, Road and Fixie) so is a little more understanding than most. :)

scuba05

Likes Dirt
Thank god i havent got to answer to any significant other at the moment, just the rents. But luckly, whenever i have needed a new bike(gone through 3 in 1.5 years), it has been because something has broken, like stripping threads in cranks, or getting hit by a car in the other case. Parts are a different story, but the good old "the old one is broken so i may as well upgrade while im at it" comes out quite often.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
there has been a 3 rig limit put on the house. I am investigating storing bikes at other peoples places.....
Under the couch man! She will never look there...

Only problem is then your mates will have to justify their bike collection...and the cycle continues ;)

projectsplat

The film guy
Under the couch man! She will never look there...

Only problem is then your mates will have to justify their bike collection...and the cycle continues ;)
mm i tried the couch, but with no luck. even hiding them in my office doesn't work. damn me for living in an apartment.

You could also upgrade your girl to a more understanding model... ;)
i have read about these "more understanding" women in travel & lifestyle magazines, but am lead to believe that they are mostly the fictional creation of magazine writers with little else to write about and too much time on their hands. whilst I have heard much talk about them, I have yet to see one in the wild...... :p

nah, my good lady is very understanding and puts up with more of my shite than I would care to publicly admit to. if left to my own devices, I would just start collecting bikes and never stop. the collection did get up to about 20 bikes at one stage (with only one of them actually working at any one time...) so i do need a good amount of discipline to keep it to just three, plus it means that I really have to put some thought into which three I am going to keep and why - that is a whole world of fun in itself. trying to create the perfect quiver of bikes. also, there are no restrictions on buying new bikes - it is just that I have to get rid of something else before I bring it into the house.

cheers,

al

edit: and no, she is not looking over my shoulder as I type this..... :D

Last edited:

wombat

Lives in a hole
mmm i used to have free reign, but now that we have shacked up together, and the bikes are in the living room, there has been a 3 rig limit put on the house. I am investigating storing bikes at other peoples places.....

Everytime I mention buying another bike, I get the "well, one of these other ones has to go...." :(
Suggestion*:
Ask her if she counts as a "rig", and if so, are you allowed to have an extra bike while she's out of the house?

Acting upon this suggestion not advised.