Best mobile coverage for Strava/fitbit etc

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Boost is fine around Canberra - I pay $150 for 80Gb and that lasts me a year.

But yeah, having a Garmin watch for strava etc is much more accurate.

Macr

Likes Dirt
What exactly is that?
The GPS almanac is a data set that every GPS satellite transmits. It includes information about the state of the entire GPS satellite constellation, as well as coarse data on every satellite in orbit. The orbital position of each satellite is known as the ephemeris data. While the ephemeris data helps deliver more precise locations to GPS devices, the almanac data helps the device locate a region of eligible satellites. This information is then saved for faster signal location in the future.

The GPS almanac also includes clock calibration data as well as information for correcting distortions caused by changes in the ionosphere. When a GPS receiver has current almanac data in memory, it can acquire satellite signals and quickly determine an initial position.

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
The GPS almanac is a data set that every GPS satellite transmits. It includes information about the state of the entire GPS satellite constellation, as well as coarse data on every satellite in orbit. The orbital position of each satellite is known as the ephemeris data. While the ephemeris data helps deliver more precise locations to GPS devices, the almanac data helps the device locate a region of eligible satellites. This information is then saved for faster signal location in the future.

The GPS almanac also includes clock calibration data as well as information for correcting distortions caused by changes in the ionosphere. When a GPS receiver has current almanac data in memory, it can acquire satellite signals and quickly determine an initial position.
Phones can use both the almanac received by your data connection (on mobile network) for faster GPS fix or in places with no network coverage, can use the almanac provided by the satellites themselves.

Macr

Likes Dirt
Phones can use both the almanac received by your data connection (on mobile network) for faster GPS fix or in places with no network coverage, can use the almanac provided by the satellites themselves.
Thanks for rehashing what I said earlier.

Your phone uses assisted GPS (aGPS). If the phone does not have the almanac and you don't have reception, it takes a about 15 minutes to download the almanac from the satellites.
If your phone has previously downloaded the almanac it should find its location quickly.
So it depends

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
That is because an almanac was already in your phone.
Yep, or the phone got the almanac using GPS, thus your phone does not need a data connection to track your ride on Strava which is the whole point of this discussion. Sorry, I didnt read every post, mainly just the ones I was quoted in so based my comment on you saying the above.

Macr

Likes Dirt
Yep, or the phone got the almanac using GPS, thus your phone does not need a data connection to track your ride on Strava which is the whole point of this discussion. Sorry, I didnt read every post, mainly just the ones I was quoted in so based my comment on you saying the above.
Yet you keep rehashing what I have already said, even when you are quoted.

tobbogonist

a registered member
Wow thanks for the info.
As said i know asmuch about this as i know about bottom brackets.
I'm going to look into the gps settings in my phone next ride and report back.
Wont be till the weekend now as daylight saving is over and bunnings is an essential service..