Best MTB mags?

moorey

call me Mia
So, want a subscription to an ACTUAL mag, not an e-mag for Felix's birthday coming up.
I used to pretty much only buy 'dirt' back in the day. AMB seemed full of ads, editorial and XC.
Felix is mainly interested in gravity fueled riding, I haven't got much idea what's around these days, and local shops don't have much.
Any recommendations?

teK--

Eats Squid
Yeah mate get onto Revolution mag.

Pretty sure they have a no lycra policy and there aren't too many ads.

Being quarterly means the issues are big and full of good articles.

moorey

call me Mia
Cool. Just flicked through one. Looks #endurbro AF.
DONE. Thanks gents.
Is Dirt still a thing, btw? Don't make me google it.

slowmick

38-39"
+1 for Revolution. Good articles, good reviews and lots of local content. it's great to see local faces in the ad pages. People he has the possibility of meeting at some point.

I got a Australian MTB subscription as a present. the last two are still in their bags. will get there eventually. Used to subscribe to MTB Action but it is very USA-centric. Lots of bikes we'll never see.

teK--

Eats Squid
+1 for Revolution. Good articles, good reviews and lots of local content. it's great to see local faces in the ad pages. People he has the possibility of meeting at some point.

I got a Australian MTB subscription as a present. the last two are still in their bags. will get there eventually. Used to subscribe to MTB Action but it is very USA-centric. Lots of bikes we'll never see.
Yeah the regular pieces from Sam Hill and Josh Carlson are rad. Also their interviews of amateur local racers

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DONE. Thanks gents.
Dirt is no longer in publication unfortunately. AFAIK the last print issue they did is the 20 years of Dirt, which is less of the book they call it and more of a premium magazine. Quite a good read if you're interested in showing him some gravity heritage. Probably worth the 16.50 aud cover price, but not the extra 30 aud in shipping...

Last edited:

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Revolution is the mag to get but i think it's only 4 issues a year.

Also, I know this isn't what you are looking for but just as a pro tip for those in Brisbane that have a library card, you can get the Zinio libraries app and read both AMB and MBA magazines for free (along with heaps of other mags they subscribe to).

moorey

call me Mia
What does he weight? 35-40kg? hows he destroying wheels? maybe some procore in needed?
About 35kg. 3rd rim in about the last 4 months (arch ex, flow ex, now 35w).
Dunno. He rides hard, loves a decent jump, but rides smooth. I'll have to run a bit more pressure than he is....which SHOULD be plenty for his weight, but clearly not.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Revo is pretty good, but I've also just fallen in love with spoke, a trail riding mag from NZ.

Much more chilled vibe throughout it's pages. Pribavly not as nice for the young bloke but I reckon you might enjoy it.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
By chance I grabbed a copy of [R]evolution the other day....simply because it had Casey Stoner on the cover.
I thought WTF?!! Oh I gotta read this! 'Tis a good article.

My only complaint is the tiny font size for most of the articles...but that prolly won't bother Felix (?)

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
About 35kg. 3rd rim in about the last 4 months (arch ex, flow ex, now 35w).
Dunno. He rides hard, loves a decent jump, but rides smooth. I'll have to run a bit more pressure than he is....which SHOULD be plenty for his weight, but clearly not.
Yeah I am impressed.

Presuming its the rear that's getting flogged, DH casings if not already?

Found arch ex's to be pretty flimsy, flow ex's to be pretty durable, and no idea on the 35w's.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah I am impressed.

Presuming its the rear that's getting flogged, DH casings if not already?

Found arch ex's to be pretty flimsy, flow ex's to be pretty durable, and no idea on the 35w's.
I've got arch ztr, ex and mk3...never buckled them. The mk3 went on the TransNZ, with some brutal tracks.
Yeah, always rear for his demolition acts. All EXO casing. Dh too heavy for him to push round the trails.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
DONE. Thanks gents.
Did you end up taking out a subscription? Do you know if they send you the issues that have already been released? I've asked them but heard nothing back yet.

Juz1970

Likes Bikes
Can second the suggestion of SPOKE mag. It's brilliant and there are very few - if any - typos, grammatical or spelling errors, something the Aus-based magazines have plenty of.

Plus i second that complaint about[R]evoltion mag regarding the font size. Photos are great though.

Another option is US-based BIKE mag, which has some very well written stories around the MTB scene/lifestyle as well as the bike/gear-related stuff. However, it is like MTB Action and obviously very North American-focused.