Best/Steepest Road climbs near Melbourne?

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
I'm in need of some killer hill repeat workouts. Where are the the steepest hills in Melbourne (or with 20km of the city)? Preferably in an area that is road safe and has a good route to the hills.

:confused:

a-line

Likes Dirt
im not familliar with any that close to the city, but go futher out(35/40km) and head towards Mt Dandenong. the most popular climb is the 1-in-20 on Mountain Hwy, it starts at The Basin and finishes in Sassafrass. anyday of the week you will find people riding up/down and on the weekend its chaos. ive done it on a hardtail jump bike, it nearly killed me.... but you only live once:)

dunndog

Eats Squid
Um not sure if this qualifies, but there's a steep up and down near St Bernards in Essendon, rosehill road.. You're probably lookin for something longer eh? I dunno.. :eek:

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Rosehill road is a killer. It's probably the steepest you will find although very short.

There are some good road climbs at Mt Eliza. If you want a day/morning out on the road bike then head for beach road and continue on to Frankston - Mt Eliza. Mt Eliza has some good climbs (non beach side of Napean Hwy). Biggest and longest are prob Mt Dandenong though.

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
Yeah not for some, but atleast you can ride down one side and straight up the other then turn around and do it again and again.. Not that i can ride up it at all. Probably couldn't walk up it!

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Warrandyte-Kangaroo Ground road (undulating and long, not real steep)
Burgundy st past the Austin Hosp(short and sharp)
Foote st Templestowe, (or is it Porter st?)(undulating)
Mt Pleasant rd(varying) (and pleasant!)
Gum tree rd off Mt Pleasant(steep, i can't get up it on a roadie! Marked in the melways as "caution, steep")
Kew Blvd(undulating and a good time trial course)(and include Yarra st)

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
Rankin Road in Ferntree Gully, just 500 meters from my place kicks up to 24%. Terry's Avenue, which comes off the left if you're going away from the city out of Belgrave, continues on for quite a way, and is plenty steep enough to hit >100km/h down, and there's some even steeper hills around those back streets.

There's also some nice stuff between Lysterfield and Officer.

If you really want stuff within 20km of the city, then I guess the roads around Yarra Bend Park would do best, though they're short - they kick up to around 18%. Some of the back streets around Mount Waverly might also do the trick, and Glenferrie Road and the surrounding streets to the south kick up a bit too, but they're only <2 minute climbs.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Kew Blvd(undulating and a good time trial course)(and include Yarra st)
+1. Used this are to train for the OO. Yarra Street is a great one to hit a few times, but there are lots of safe steep roads around that area.

SouthYarraSage

Likes Dirt
It's a bit further out of town, but from the city out to Kinglake via St Andrews and home via Christmas Hills will put a smile on your dial... or not...

For sheer steepness, it's pretty hard to beat Yarra St in Kew.

Arthur's Seat is another good one but fails the 20km test also. You'll be nice and warmed up by the time you get there ;)

Eerik

Likes Bikes
Jump on the 'tour de suburbs' tuesday and thursday nights and you'll find some great hills and people to chase up them.

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
If you check www.bv.com.au through bicycling victorias web site and look under 'Plan a Ride' section you will find all the info you need/posts and threadsnrelated to the ATDS. There have been 2 groups at the moment, a 6.35-45 and a 6.55-7.0 group. The early group will drop you without a care if you get stuck at the lights or fall behind where as the later group re bunches over the ride. Numbers have been low over the last months, especially for the later group so at times you may be riding with Pat Malone. Go early, hold on for as long as you can.
The Bikehub in Heidelberg have two shop rides on Wed and Sat. Wed is up through Eltham for a hilly 30km return and Sat is usually out to Kinggers etc. Info also through bv, on the shop window or drp them a line. More welcoming than the Alpine crew.
Hope that helps?

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
Short and sharp

Gaffney St, Coburg is a killer.

Again, probably not what you were after as it's pretty short, but there's a few short and sharp hill in the Essendon region if you want something a bit different to the Beach Road experience...

brendyboy

Cannon Fodder
Sttep climb

I did Terry's Avenue on Saturday and it is a killer. If you're riding a Mountain Bike theres riding at the Churchill National Park which adjoins Lysterfield Lake which has 3 very severe climbs, one of them would be 15% + gradient (the hill which you take to go from Churchill National Park to Lysterfield Lake. These are very wide fire trails and very fun descents on the severe drops. It's rocky surface so inapropriate for Hybrids or Road Bikes.
I would certainly recomend to combine the climbs with a hoon around the Pro circuits at Lysterfield, 25km + return for a short return trip.