Best vehicle for bikes

toodles

Wheel size expert
What do you reckon is the best car/ute/van thing for carrying bikes and bike stuff? Everyone recommends utes but they're not secure enough for my liking and vans handle pretty badly...

S.

ex offender
Ya can't have it all.... if you get something like a ute, it won't be secure, vans don't handle that well, 4wds aren't fuel efficient, etc etc. Personally I want a 4wd Hilux for carrying bikes.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you don't want a ute or van i guess that only leaves you with 2 options. Either a big station wagon or get a trailer.
I personaly drive a hilux ute and find this to be great for MX. It can fit 3 motos no problems. I generally borrow my bros hiace van for shuttling the MTB. Fits 5 guys and bikes easily enough.

I can't wait to get my new car......Hurry up Holden.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah, just a 6 cylender one tonner, should be heaps better to drive than the hilux though. Trying to decide between an auto or manual. can't get a bench seat with the manual i believe and that third seat often comes in handy. Shuttling with 2 people isn't that much fun.......but manuals are so much more fun to drive.....

S.

ex offender
Aw, manuals rule! I don't like driving my mum's auto, it's boring and gutless.

Bonnet

Likes Dirt
get a Toyota Hilux ute, the 4wd one, not the workmans ute's. i use it all the time and i dont worry about security, cos my tray has tie down points. i just bike lock a couple bikes together onto the 4 tie downs loops.

otherwise get a mini clubman, their the bomb for transporting bikes. i'll post a pic later showing how.

gotta go to work now. later

REMEMBER- go HILUX OR MINI

chuckrockswell

iRide Bikes
i got a 99 toyota townace sbv about 6 months ago and i love it. i never liked vans either but this one drives just like a car. it fits 4 DH bikes comfortably for shuttles (2 people in the front and 2 can sit on the floor in the rear (uncomfortable but no-one complains when your getting a lift to the top) i paid around 12 grand with 80,000km air con, p-steer (even has 4 tie-down points in the back) and all the other stuff.

i drove 7 hours in the rain coming back from thredbo the other week and all my gear was secure, safe and dry. you can also get drunk at parties and sleep in the back. take it from a previous ute owner, vans are the ultimate in bicycle transportation. no crappy racks, just load em up and go! take a look for yourself:

http://townace.toyota.com.au/Townace/Portal/0,1550,92-125,00.html

Ryan

Radministrator
I drive an 8 seater Mazda Traveller van, back seats fold up to take 4 bikes without front wheels and 4 passengers in comfort. A longer term project is to remove the back seats altogether, turn the middle seat around, get new seatbelt mounts put in and be able to carry bikes with wheels on. It's all I've ever driven so I have no problems with it, keeps my gear safe and dry and is surprisingly poised when getting sideways ;) I say go a van, the Toyota Hiace seems to be pretty popular with moto riders and they're easy to pick up from any used commercial dealer.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
toodles said:
Is the roof in the townace high enough to get motos in?
Kind of.........my best mate has a townace and my bro used to have one. You can get motos in em but only 1 and you need to compress the fork a bit using a tie down or somthing to get it through the door.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i've got a VN commodore wagon and it's rad, two mtb's and a bmx and people to ride em, and drives nicely...

i could go a Hilux SURF or 4Runner tho' they are nice, 4wd, lots of seats and space, and tough!

these Holden SSX things look pimp too, 4 wheel drive too!

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Socket said:
Yay, 4wd and the clearance to almost go up a gutter! How very useful.
should i call it all-wheel-drive then? Think of it like a WRX that has bulked up at the gym...

fastrider gus

super huck
my dad has a realy old toyota coaster bus (ex school bus) converted to a holiday bus, with bunks, fridge, TV, gas cooker and comfy seats.. its the best for races! if you have a stack or are just tired.. you have a laydown on the bunks! and if you are hungry.. cook somethin!! so if you are at a Fat tyre Flyer or Geelong MTB club race and you see a big rusty bus with bunks at the back, say g'day!!!

dhd

Downhill Direct
Big ol Falcon wagon.......cheap to buy and fix, Has air con power steering and can carry bike in back. Also it doesn't matter if it gets trashed. I also have a trailer that will be useful for shuttle runs............when I get it finished