Bike cage etiquette

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Well worth shopping around for contents insurance. My bike is covered for $5k, the premium was only another $120 a year and excess is only $100.
Yeah that's my excess too. House contents is about $350 including the imac, Kirsty's rather extensive designer clothes collections and about $15K of listed bikes including the $3K roadie as a portable item. Seems reasonable.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yeah that's my excess too. House contents is about $350 including the imac, Kirsty's rather extensive designer clothes collections and about $15K of listed bikes including the $3K roadie as a portable item. Seems reasonable.
That sounds reasonable who are you with @Haakon and @Alexxx I looked at a few and they all added quite a premium to have the bike covered while commuting

Haakon

What is so good about this spot @Haakon
Must be pretty special to go the the effort of moving someone else's steed?
He had his lock hanging off the wire grating of the cage. I hadn't noticed it, not that I think id have cared anyway - there are random locks hanging off stuff all over the place. He should have just retrieved his lock and used it elsewhere.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
That's just Allianz.
This is where I struggled when looking into cover, everyone I spoke to had great cover for their bikes but when I went and actually looked the quotes I got came no where near the described cover. The below is online from Allianz and the portable cover was a max of 2k per item. The household cover is only 55k and the specific items are 20k as you mentioned those in your previous post. This is lower than I'm covered for but over twice my yearly premium primarily for the bike cover at work.

Haakon

This is where I struggled when looking into cover, everyone I spoke to had great cover for their bikes but when I went and actually looked the quotes I got came no where near the described cover. The below is online from Allianz and the portable cover was a max of 2k per item. The household cover is only 55k and the specific items are 20k as you mentioned those in your previous post. This is lower than I'm covered for but over twice my yearly premium primarily for the bike cover at work.

View attachment 372074
That's weird, I'm in for nearer to 70K bikes and house contents included. Id say maybe im in a less dodgy neighbourhood, but narrabundah is pretty sketchy!!

You in a house? Storage cages in apartment buildings are impossible to insure...

Litenbror

Eats Squid
House in Reid so I don't think it's the area or property. The portable contents adds about 30% to most of the quotes I've seen so I worked out if I bought a bike under $300 it was cheaper than insuring a commuter, also I only ride a couple of km to work so don't mind having something less comfortable.

Probably enough of the thread hijack, carry on with the it's my spot, no it's not arguing.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
nice things are best kept under constant surveillance..nobody cares about other people's stuff!
this is why I would never buy a nice new car again, one trip to the car park and its all scratched or worse
If I had the opportunity to commute, it would be a bashed up frame with good parts...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I think "portable contents" refers more to things like laptop computers and expensive jewellery and generally makes the policy proces jump massively. From memory my bike is insured on my household contents as a listed item which avoids this issue. It is covered for usage away from home, but there are some minor caveats to the policy, like it's covered for theft from a vehicle - but only if it's locked inside the vehicle - eg: Even if you had a bike rack with a lock it wouldn't be covered if someone pinched your bike off it, but if you throw the bike in the boot/hatch/wagon and the car is locked you're golden.

Minlak

custom titis
I think "portable contents" refers more to things like laptop computers and expensive jewellery and generally makes the policy proces jump massively. From memory my bike is insured on my household contents as a listed item which avoids this issue. It is covered for usage away from home, but there are some minor caveats to the policy, like it's covered for theft from a vehicle - but only if it's locked inside the vehicle - eg: Even if you had a bike rack with a lock it wouldn't be covered if someone pinched your bike off it, but if you throw the bike in the boot/hatch/wagon and the car is locked you're golden.
Mine are listed under the contents but covered away from home as well - not portable item coverage - I am covered for all scenarios except if I am actually riding it when damage or theft occurs. A lot of people don’t realise if you don’t list your bikes they are covered as sporting goods inside the home and will have a limit of around 1 k per item if fire or theft occurs in the home.

Flow-Rider

Burner
nice things are best kept under constant surveillance..nobody cares about other people's stuff!
this is why I would never buy a nice new car again, one trip to the car park and its all scratched or worse
If I had the opportunity to commute, it would be a bashed up frame with good parts...
Yep, when I worked on European cars in the 90's, the brand-new cars were always the cars that people keyed in city carparks. Some people are just pure arseholes with no life.