Bike fit for injury recovery

Slowman

Likes Dirt
I have been given the go ahead to do a bit of light cycling but I have some fairly stringent rules I must obey for the first 6 months so as not to jeopardise my recovery.
1. I can not bend more than 90 degrees at the hip
2. I can not rotate my femur inwards or outwards
3. I can not lift more than 10kg

Rules 2 and 3 above aren't really a risk but 1 could be. I won't be going anywhere near a tri bike or even a road bike but I was planning to ride my old hard tail around to keep myself as upright as possible but I am assuming the lower body position on the road bike over an MTB means the pelvis rotates forward and therefore would increase hip flexion angle and possibly risk exceeding 90 degrees. However if you keep the pelvis upright and and bend at the spine it is not so much of a problem but I've never looked into that aspect of my position I just started with the rules of thumb and refined to what I found comfortable and powerful.

Anyone that knows the anatomical nuts and bolts of this have any advice?

morganb4

Likes Bikes
I have been given the go ahead to do a bit of light cycling but I have some fairly stringent rules I must obey for the first 6 months so as not to jeopardise my recovery.

Rules 2 and 3 above aren't really a risk but 1 could be. I won't be going anywhere near a tri bike or even a road bike but I was planning to ride my old hard tail around to keep myself as upright as possible but I am assuming the lower body position on the road bike over an MTB means the pelvis rotates forward and therefore would increase hip flexion angle and possibly risk exceeding 90 degrees. However if you keep the pelvis upright and and bend at the spine it is not so much of a problem but I've never looked into that aspect of my position I just started with the rules of thumb and refined to what I found comfortable and powerful.

Try getting fitted for a Trance. They have quite a slack, upright position.

mijango

Squid
I recently had a back op and have got back into DH riding. The main way to take it my physio said was working back into it step by step. So started off on the road short distances, then moved to xc on some easy fire trails, and now more free ride and DH at oxy! But going this route, if you push it too far your body will give you early signs and you can just build your strength from there. good luck!

Cypher

Likes Dirt
A little bit different, but here is my take. I rode mountain bikes on single trail all through my pregnancy (now +1 day over due...when will this baby come!!!)

My problem was that the relaxin (a hormone that makes your ligaments stretch) made my entire skeleton a bit too floppy. I have significant hip and lower back problems, such that I have trouble walking with out pain and I can't pick up anything heavier than about 5 kilos as my framework just can't handle it (I used to be able to dead lift 80 kilos! So annoying). Also my core muscles are strained from carrying an extra 15 kilos and stretched to wrap around a baby

Mountain biking is contra-indicated in this situation (that is, it's a no-no). But who wants to ride a stationary bike??? Yes, riding did cause me extra problems (my hips always hurt worse the week after a ride)

Mountain biking, because of the uneven surface, short sharp ascents and bouncy descents do cause extra strain all over your body. Most bikes are over 10 kilos, so man-handling the bike over obstacles will be an issue. Just stopping suddenly and stepping over the bike will probably put more than 10 kilos of (torsional) stress through your body. I can see you easily busting all those rules you have - even on the most tame of trails.

If you are really serious about recovery, stay on tarred bike paths until ready. However I rode because I needed to get out.

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.

Bit slow on the reply as I have just stumbled into the vets section of RB... sounds like you have had a total hip replacement?

What did you end up doing? MTB with seat as with as possible and what Pile said, short stem and riser bars - avoiding as much forward flexion as possible?

I have worked in a rehab ward full of THR / TKR, just not sure if thats what you have had.