Bike Repairs.

Bike Repairs/servicing.

• I clean and check my ride(s) regular.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do all my own servicing and repairs.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CHEWY

Eats Squid
i try to do as much as i can with the tools i got... but u need all them crank pullers and bb loseners and all that crap.
i did almost everything on my motobikes but, from oil changing to top end rebuilding

nicklouse

Likes Dirt
most of my rides i have built from scratch chosing what parts i wanted etc. its not the cheepest way. some times i'll buy as supplied. because say the frame and fork is what i want then i'll buy a cheep noname frame and shift the parts i dont want onto that and then sell it to pay for the parts i need. unfortunatly some times i decide to keep them as they are fun in there own way. Hence i now own too many bikes. but i do have them spread over three countries!!!!!! 8)

Dan

Likes Dirt
i basicly do everything but build wheels. i like my wheels to be built nicely so their strong and stuff.

but i pretty much do everything else myself. i dont wanna pay 30bucks to a shop when i can learn myself and fix it.

S.

ex offender
I do everything cept headset pressing and wheelbuilding. I do it poorly tho, sometimes I still need a mechanic to do it properly.

Dan

Likes Dirt
i have pressed like 2 headsets. just use a block of wood and a rubber mallet. and gently bang it in. u gotta be real carefull tho as we should all know :)

its a pain pressing headsets

Dan

Likes Dirt
haha. trust me, i was impatient when i got my XLR8 frame and just wanted to ride it!! me and my mate got everything on (and off the old frame) the bike in about 2 hours :D that was including cleaning some shit.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Eh, one of the upsides of working in a shop.

Nicklouse, please put me out of my misery, who is that quote from in your sig? I keep thinking of a poem called "The Road Not Travelled" but I don't think that's right, just similar. Who said it?

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dan said:
i basicly do everything but build wheels. i like my wheels to be built nicely so their strong and stuff.

but i pretty much do everything else myself. i dont wanna pay 30bucks to a shop when i can learn myself and fix it.

i do the same as Dan, i leave the art of wheel building to others
maybe one day ill learn
rest is done by me
oh and rebuilding rear shocks, just the equipment is too expensive

Ryan

Radministrator
I do pretty much everything bar wheel building, which is too much of a black art for me to grasp just yet.
Here's a tip for the homemade headset press courtesy of the "Farkin.net ghetto toolbox*";
Two pieces of 2x4 with a Headlock bolt through them set up as a press, with one block going below the lower cup and the other above the upper cup.
Just pop one cup in, thread through the headlock, tighten down graudally and repeat for the other side for the perfect headset insertion every time.

*Ghetto Toolbox is copyright Farkin.net 2003

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wombat said:

Nicklouse, please put me out of my misery, who is that quote from in your sig? I keep thinking of a poem called "The Road Not Travelled" but I don't think that's right, just similar. Who said it?
Muriel Strode

nathan

Likes Dirt
I try to do as much as i can, nearly everything but wheel building and trueing as its a pain in the butt. Most things on a bike are pretty basic read lots, experiment, and learn from others.

wombat

Lives in a hole
josh said:
wombat said:

Muriel Strode
AHA! Cheers. Definately not who I was thinking of, but good to know all the same.

curtisrider

Eats Squid
I do as much as i can without taking the risk of stuffing anything up.
eg greasing cranks,headsets. Changing wires. etc

Not bleeding brakes :oops:

Ty

Eats Squid
yeah i do everything on my bike(and anyone one elses bike if they need a hand), i've build a few wheels that have been checked my our local wheelsmith before being installed and all have come up good. there isn't really anything that you can't do at home. alot of bike shops project the image that alot of stuff is too hard for your average mtber to do by his/her self but when you sit down and think it's notmaly not to hard. there are only a few specical tools that i can think off, chain whip, cassette lock ring tool, BB tool, crank puller and a chain tool, everything thing else is pretty basic.

-=free style wrenching=- (as taught by Gavin Finlay)

wombat

Lives in a hole
Ty's right. Save for wheel building and suspension tuning, most of it is all pretty simple if you have the right tools. You have to ask yourself though, how often are you going to be using a dropout aligner or fork spreader, and is it often enough to justify buying them for home use?

Ty

Eats Squid
yeah theres a few thing i have to go to the shop for, i can't justify owning a rockshock bushing removal tool, spoke tenstion tool (you don't really need one IMHO) and chain streach tool (i'm thinking about buying one, it answers alot of shifting problems.)

and always remember if worst comes to worst you can always stop and take it to your LBS and they can sort it out, ask to watch so you can do it yourself next time, my LBS supports DIY work, ie, they won't take a cassette off for a MTBer they know is pretty experenced, they'll sell you a chainwhip and lockring tool cheap coz it's better for both parties in the long run.