BIKE SECURITY ISSUES

ellemenophee

Likes Bikes
EVERYONE HERE HAS THE SAME ISSUES OF BIKE SECURITY
HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH THE ISSUE OF KEEPING YOUR BIKE SAFE ?
THE MORE YOU RIDE , GREATER ATTENTION IS DRAWN TO YOU & YOUR MACHINE.

A MATE OF MINE KYROPTONITE LOCKS HIS TO THE END OF HIS BED FRAME.
MINE IS SAFE & SECURE BUT THIS DOESN'T STOP ME LOCKING IT TO A MARINE CHAIN OF 15 FEET- (THAT REQUIRES 2 PEOPLE TO CARRY JUST THE CHAIN.)

EVEN IF THEY FIND MINE THE MASSIVE HASSEL OF 3 PEOPLE TRYING TO MOVE THE PACKAGE INTO A VEHICLE MAKES IT NOT WORTH THE EFFORT.
i LIKE MY NORCO & JUST LIKE MY DOG, IT IS WAITING FOR ME TO COME HOME. jUST THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.
tHIEVES CAN DIE !

hOW ABOUT YOU ?

bazza

look at me
bikerus

yeah i dont really care. insurance is good. its fully insured for 4k i think. so as long as the house is locked.....it sleeps in my room and i always look it up when i go out as well with just a single lock around anything with a qr. i am seriously thinking about changing my seat over to a bolt though.

Rik

logged out
Someone stole your capslock key?

All my bikes are fairly well secured, my good ones live in my room, the others in the garage with some nice locks taking care of them, but you can never be too paranoid.

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mine just sits in my garage... but in tassie there isnt a real lot of thefts, i have locked my bike up in this bike rack in an alley way b4 and nothing was even touched on it, i might start keepin it in my room after i move house

ellemenophee

Likes Bikes
yeah...agreed bikes should be indoors & insured. Another mate wants to dyna bolt a bracket into the concrete ( garage) & run a moto X cable lock thingy thru it so his bike stays where he put it.

just thought i would ask about as it had been topical for us here.

even fixed the caps lock.

So paranoia runs deep in MTB blood then ? haha

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My 2 are insured for over $10K, if you'd like to knock em off let me know, i'll PM you my adress.

though you may need some pretty heavy tools, you'll have to grind or oxy cut through some 13mm section hardened steel chain or my Kryptonite lock(impossible).

Now all ya gotta do is figure out if i keep em in the garage or house.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ellemenophee said:
Another mate wants to dyna bolt a bracket into the concrete ( garage) & run a moto X cable lock thingy thru it so his bike stays where he put it.
make sure he either welds or peens the bolt heads with a hammer so they can't be undone.

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i didnt realise how much trouble ppl went to, to keep theiven dicks away from their pride n joy, then again i didnt realise how much shit gets stolen

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've has 3 MTBs stolen, an SS Commodore, a boat, and had my garage burgled 3 times, losing fishing rods, boogie boards, skateboards etc

I am now quite paranoid, IT WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN !!

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
shit, ive never had nething stolen and dont know neone whos had something stolen except for my mates huffy that he left on his nature strip (dumb bastard)

Emmett

Likes Dirt
If i have ppl who want to check out what i have for sale i home deliver only, or meet them out the front of the secure complex(townhouses) i live in.

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
my bike stays IN my room, and it is surrounded by dirty clothes on the floor - the smell keeps the robers away

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
I live 12km's out of town so thats one issue for potential thieves...my front gate is locked, and my bike lives in the shed which is locked up as well.
Any bikes i have are insured up to the value of $20K...so theft probably wont bother me that much apart from losing my customised ride (which i'll have bugger all chance of replacing).

AirDog

Likes Dirt
i h8 theives.
i've lost 2 crappy mtb's a full face and a seat.

now my bike sits in the garage with my big ass dog too look after it :)

Bonnet

Likes Dirt
i'm worried that when i ride to uni, someone will flog my seat, is there any device that locks your seat to the bike...its a quick release, so it wouldn't be hard to nick, and also i really like having the quick release on my seat, i can go into seat down trials mode just like that, then back to xc seat up style.

come to think of it, i can just run a second bike chain thru the seat rails and around the top tube...hmmm that was easy.

on a quick OT side note, when i was riding back from uni thru the campus i pulled a 15 odd meter manuel into a small stair gap (just to show of, cos i can) and then rolled out of it real nice, and got pulled up about 20 meters later by uni security in a rav 4. they warned me if i do it again they'll confiscate my bike...i'm just wondering if they can actually do that? (sorry, dont mean to hi-jack, just curious)

Ryan

Radministrator
Nope, uni security in all places are just rent-a-cops with no more authority than the average joe on the street. If they tell you to stop, ignore them, if they tell you to get off your bike, ignore them, if they give chase, run and enjoy eluding them. They can't do or enforce shit.

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
If you wanna go over the top, you could dig a hole in your garage and concrete some super thick pipes into the ground. All you need now is the burliest chain on the market or a Kryptonite New York lock. If you do this, it'll be easier for the theif to pull out an allen key set and just maggot bits, but atleast you know your frames gonna be there when you get home!

bazza

look at me
you actaully let them pull you over....could of had fun with them!!! especially in a uni. but yeah you can just get allen key bolts for seats. its better. or telescopic. i think they lock at some point. um or you could just use the extra lock.