Bike Shop Failure - Sydney City Bike Depot

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
...i had the opportunity to visit this store twice recently. I can't say the service was much chop on either occasion, despite being juggled across a variety of staff each time. They didn't have the parts I was after either time, parts I wouldn't have thought were that uncommon. It isn't always the consumers fault when a business fails.

They did have a large range of bikes in stock though, which was nice to see.

ChopSticks

Banned
Was the closure advertised on the internet or is that the usual post lunch break crowd just waiting for smoko to be finished at the store?
I got a SMS from CBD yesterday arvo "City Bike Depot has closed - Liquidation Sale - 10am Tuesday 2nd Dec - Everything at CLEARANCE prices - We are no doing this again so get in first."

Such sad news indeed... it was really the only bike store i felt comfortable walking into... asking for a part and they had a clue what was happening. Service was tops and the guys working there was always interested!(would ask what you ride, how your day was going etc etc)

super friendly! and as G-fish pointed out... such a shame given the bike path extension on Kent St/increased flow

look at them savages :p (wanted to get and get a floor ump... but glad i didnt line up with these people)

willsy01

Eats Squid
It's up on their website, not sure if it was advertised there yesterday.

I picked up a Fox digital shock pump for $81. Everything is cost + 5% apparently.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I've bought two bikes from them over the years. I liked how the staff put their own bikes on display...some mint builds have come out of that place.

It saddens me to see the vultures out.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
some mint builds have come out of that place.

It saddens me to see the vultures out.
I reckon half the "vultures" are queued up for one of those mint builds you mention - that red Intense dripping in ENVE.

chrisp2087

Likes Dirt
I was one of the "vultures" that's been mentioned, it's a real shame because CBD was my LBS in the city (I live on the Northern Beaches so I've got another one for weekends and bigger build stuff) I'd always buy from these guys if I needed something mid-week and the staff were usually very helpful and friendly, plus brands like Yeti and Intense were drool worthy.

If, as they were saying, it was "cost + 5%" and you get that kind of turn out then it'd probably be worth a shop doing that kind of sale for 2 days a year.......slight profit + massively increased foot traffic may equal repeat business........other side of course is that bargain hunters will attempt to just wait for those days.

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
must be really hard to keep a bike shop afloat these days. especially a shop like that - inner city rents in a big location, stocking a variety of bikes, a lot of custom stuff.

to state the obvious, it seems like the "selling" side of local bike shops is dying, as they obviously can't compete with online prices.

i can't help bit think that bike shops will have to move more towards a very heavily service-oriented business - gear it much towards building up and servicing bikes/parts that were bought elsewhere. perhaps also provide a consulting service to help customers select suppliers and parts, to help the customer get the parts in for a bike build, then build the bike for them. dunno, maybe it is already happening. or maybe people are too tight to pay for the service (that would save them a heap of time), and/or would rather do the research themselves (certainly the majority of people on here would be in that category). i can see a market for it though. if someone got a bit of momentum/volume, always had a few yet-to-be-picked-up recent customer builds in their workshop for people to be inspired by, it might just work. it'd have to be a pretty small low overhead business though, so to get a good location, you'd have to have a really cramped workshop "showroom". leave any warranty hassles for the customer to deal with (with whichever online supplier they got it from).

of course, this approach would lose the ability for customers to see/touch/sit on the prospective purchases.

having said all this, since '98 i have bought 3 bikes and 7 frames. before purchase, i only got to ride two of them. other than another 3 of them, the rest were bought online, without even having seen a similar one in the flesh, let alone sitting on a similar one. maybe this will become more the norm?

i have seen a few "workshops" lately. maybe that is the way it is heading.

willsy01

Eats Squid
I also picked up a 26x2.35 tubeless Hans Dampf trailstar evo for $51.......sticker price was $120. That's quite a mark up.

Honzo15

Likes Dirt
...i had the opportunity to visit this store twice recently. I can't say the service was much chop on either occasion, despite being juggled across a variety of staff each time. They didn't have the parts I was after either time, parts I wouldn't have thought were that uncommon. It isn't always the consumers fault when a business fails.

They did have a large range of bikes in stock though, which was nice to see.
Thats exactly my experience with this shop as well. Maybe the owner as he seems to be known by many was a nice guy and treated you nicely when you know him but other than that, the service was just shit. Sorry my honest words here but I am a nice guy, I worked in retail for a decade myself but every time and I mean every time I walked in there I was treated like shit. Paying for fucking cliff bars took me 10 minutes cause the guy was on the phone, sitting in front of me and than needed to figure out what they cost. And this was months ago. The shop is one min away from where I work and I bought shoes there and other little things. Their mechanic or one of them treated me like I was stealing his time, he wasnt even looking at me when I wanted something. I'm all in for supporting your LBS, I so am that I even want to open one myself but these guys didnt even know what service is. Bike shops do have a chance these days but its not about the price, yes it is but its not the most important thing, its about service, its about customer experience, its about making people feel good when they buy stuff in your shop, its about making them want to come back. I'm actually surprised to hear that they treated people nicely and that they were supportive, but for me as an out of towner, not knowing anyone of them personally, they were just arrogant assholes and I totally understand why they had to close shop.

ninjananna

Likes Dirt
Thats exactly my experience with this shop as well. Maybe the owner as he seems to be known by many was a nice guy and treated you nicely when you know him but other than that, the service was just shit. Sorry my honest words here but I am a nice guy, I worked in retail for a decade myself but every time and I mean every time I walked in there I was treated like shit. Paying for fucking cliff bars took me 10 minutes cause the guy was on the phone, sitting in front of me and than needed to figure out what they cost. And this was months ago. The shop is one min away from where I work and I bought shoes there and other little things. Their mechanic or one of them treated me like I was stealing his time, he wasnt even looking at me when I wanted something. I'm all in for supporting your LBS, I so am that I even want to open one myself but these guys didnt even know what service is. Bike shops do have a chance these days but its not about the price, yes it is but its not the most important thing, its about service, its about customer experience, its about making people feel good when they buy stuff in your shop, its about making them want to come back. I'm actually surprised to hear that they treated people nicely and that they were supportive, but for me as an out of towner, not knowing anyone of them personally, they were just arrogant assholes and I totally understand why they had to close shop.
What I take away from this post then is this: if you plan to open a bike shop don't employ people - only do it solo or as a partnership with a partner of similar personality. As much as you should be able to employ staff that focus on service the more common reality is their unlikely to share the same passion and drive and unlikely to deliver the customer service needed to justify the price differences.

Luco

Likes Dirt

You've hit the nail on the head there Honzo. I don't want to start another debate about 'poor service and your lbs!' but it seems this was the natural progression of the thread. I too have been to this bike shop a few times and have experienced wildly different levels of service, from good to down right rude. I buy local 95% of the time and find customer service extremely important, so am a little disappointed to hear the news. The most annoying thing I find with bike stores is when upon entering you feel like you have walked into someone's own living room!

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Cost + 5 %?

hmmm....

Can't compete with online pricing or refuse to>?
But surely they could have come a lot closer than 120?

Torpedo 7 has got them on special at the moment for 55, so to be able to walk in and pay 70-80 as a customer I would feel pretty happy about that, but 120 is retarded.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Might be a reflection of their real estate being in the Sydney CBD.

Given online sales that business model simply won't work these days, it's more convenient to buy online than during your lunch hour (as well as pay through the nose for the privilege).

John U

MTB Precision
Bad luck to Hugh. Hope everything works out for him.

I remember when it opened up. It seemed like a market begging for some competition. Prices nearby were at the high end of the scale. It seemed like it wouldn't have been difficult to make it a viable business. Obviously not.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
What I take away from this post then is this: if you plan to open a bike shop don't employ people - only do it solo or as a partnership with a partner of similar personality. As much as you should be able to employ staff that focus on service the more common reality is their unlikely to share the same passion and drive and unlikely to deliver the customer service needed to justify the price differences.
The problem I see is not a lack of passion for bikes and the (elite) cycling community the problem is a lack of passion for retail.

Bike shops are not a natural extension of you cycling lifestyle. They are a business in a tough retail market.Dont start a bike shop if you love bikes- start one if you love retail, customer service and can relate to the average joe!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
@John - Times have changed though. Back then online sales were nothing like they are now, there was Jensons and FTR and maybe a few others. Now there are big orgs like CRC, Wiggle and smaller yet still significant cats like Pushy's, Torp7, etc. and bikes shops also had to live with a few years of a very powerful AUD. With the AUD now sinking back to normal levels the bike retail industry might get a bit closer to the old normal again but the damage of the past few years is already done.

I agree in regards to their local competition. I used to like them but after the treatment I received in there from one young dickhead - seriously, it was either leave or suggest he step outside - I would have gone to BD every time.

The market has changed now though. I get my service from a local shop and buy a few things through them as they've been excellent to me in most departments but anything more than tubes, lubes and impulse buys I go online. Bike shops aren't a charity, they are a profit making venture and if they can't compete with the other guy they have to expect to go out of business.

Gotta change with the times, just ask blockbuster video, the milkman and your local posty.

@ marc - agree 100%

Last edited: