Bike sizing

sc.

Likes Dirt
I'm looking at possibly buying a bike that's the next size up from what I should probably be on, I'm just over 5'10 in the old money and the bike is an XL. Reach is 485, I'm currently on a bike with about 450 and it feels slightly too small. I'm wondering if any of you guys have had any similar experiences and ended up going up a size and how it felt etc. Unfortunately the potential new bike is interstate so I can't test it out.
Would a stem change and moving the seat forward etc. work? Can you tell I'm trying to talk myself into it?

cheers

creaky

XMAS Plumper
What bikes are you comparing. Reach isn’t the only thing to consider so pop up the geometry numbers for the current one and potential new one.

Reactions: sc.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Most XL frames are for 6"+, not sure even with stem change it will fit, unless it's older school with shorter tt

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I am 175cm and have a 485mm reach bike on order for my next. Does it have the seat tube angle to give correct ett?

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm a similar height but with short legs seattube length is my biggest problem, but at 465 I could ride the Kona but wouldn't get too much drop on the dropper.

sc.

Likes Dirt
I am 175cm and have a 485mm reach bike on order for my next. Does it have the seat tube angle to give correct ett?
Interesting, what are the other numbers like mate?

Seat tube angle on the current bike is 74.5 and the potential bike is 74.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I find a L 2016 Kona Process 153 with 460 reach (ETT 629, Stack 605 and standover 665) on the upper end of OK for me, at 5'10 (on a good day)

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
5'10 with a 31.5 inseam, so slightly shorter legs than normal for the height. Went from an 18.8 sized kona with 450mm reach/610ETT to a large marin (456/638) . On the kona I was always putting the seat back as far as I could in the rails, though also shortened the roadie length stem it came with. The big issue for me was then the ability to pedal many large bikes, so the 450 seat tube was a win.

sc.

Likes Dirt
5'10 with a 31.5 inseam, so slightly shorter legs than normal for the height. Went from an 18.8 sized kona with 450mm reach/610ETT to a large marin (456/638) . On the kona I was always putting the seat back as far as I could in the rails, though also shortened the roadie length stem it came with. The big issue for me was then the ability to pedal many large bikes, so the 450 seat tube was a win.
Thanks for the info mate, I think I've decided against the XL and I'll look for something more suitable.