Bike Tracking - Airtag

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone going to tag and track their bike? Apparently you can disable the onboard speaker/beeper.
Thoughts?

safreek

Seems like you need to be a bit of a detective, and lucky.
Had a fella leave his crapple phone in my car and he seemed to find my home easily, guess it's easier to find a non moving object.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
That's because phones have their own 4G radio and can phone home on their own. Easier to find if they're turned on. The tags need another phone nearby to send their location off to the apple servers.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The tracker might help you locate your bike. But here, the doughnut patrol won't help you retrieve it and will tell you not to go and get it.

safreek

That's because phones have their own 4G radio and can phone home on their own. Easier to find if they're turned on. The tags need another phone nearby to send their location off to the apple servers.
Sweet. Was wondering why it was so hard for the fellas to find the bike
The tracker might help you locate your bike. But here, the doughnut patrol won't help you retrieve it and will tell you not to go and get it.
I have found there is only one thing thieves understand. And it ain't the police or gaol

Shredden

Knows his goats
My housemate just bought a 4-pack of these AirTags.

I'm gonna stash one in the downtube of my gravel bike wrapped in some packing foam and go for a ride around the city/yarra trails without my phone on me - see how effective it is at tracking from other people's iPhones.

Will report back.

Minlak

custom titis
My housemate just bought a 4-pack of these AirTags.

I'm gonna stash one in the downtube of my gravel bike wrapped in some packing foam and go for a ride around the city/yarra trails without my phone on me - see how effective it is at tracking from other people's iPhones.

Will report back.
Interested to hear how this ends up!
All I can say is when the machines become sentient and your the first to die or be enslaved don't come crying to us.