Bike wash $WTF

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Mucoff SDS https://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/904A Muc-Off Nano Tech Bike Cleaner 1 Litre.pdf
organic chelating/sequestering agents (tetrasodium EDTA, and trisodium NTA), ionic surfactant (SLES), and glycerine..
pH 10.8-11.4 (conc), so without diluting to less than pH 8.5, could eat into anodising (maybe that's why glycerin added? or maybe that's just for your hands ;) )
as a strong base, no wonder will cut through grease..

CT-18 SDS https://www.never2clean.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/CT18-1L-CT18-SUPERWASH-SDS.pdf
anionic/non-ionic surfactants, inorganic sequestering agent,
pH 7.5-8.5... not so bad and safe for aluminium, unless it dries (as per @Mattyp )

no SDS for the Shred stuff, maybe can find who makes it for them?

cammas

Seamstress
These (or any baby/sanitary wipes really), are actually a really good travel choice. I usually throw a pack in the bike bag when flying somewhere because you never know when you dont have the chance to wash the bike before flying back, or if you are going through a place with really strict biosecurity requirements.
My concern would be scratching with the grit from the dirt on the frame, maybe after you wash it or if it’s covered in frame protection.
I know wipes work well on your butt as crap is not gritty, unless you’ve been eating lots of nuts and you didn’t masticate properly then you will have the same result.

teK--

Eats Squid
My concern would be scratching with the grit from the dirt on the frame, maybe after you wash it or if it’s covered in frame protection.
I know wipes work well on your butt as crap is not gritty, unless you’ve been eating lots of nuts and you didn’t masticate properly then you will have the same result.
yeah I didn't make it to the toilet on this ride, and the wet wipes didn't do shit :p

cyclocross-bike-covered-with-grass-and-mud.jpg

ausdb

Being who he is
#1 uses it. Have had this experience. It mat say neutral but it is soapy to touch and burns raw skin. I rarely use it. Anyway to each their own. I just use a car shampoo. But then I have snow foamed my fatbike...
My sister in law would agree with @Dales Cannon. Years ago when he was younger my nephew decided to wash mums car with CT-18 as that's what he saw his grandad using to wash the tractors on the farm. SIL's car has a few spots on it that have never been the same since... Nephew being the nephew that he is no doubt would have thought that Moarrr was better of course.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ct18 here too.
Use it for bikes, 4 soap dispenser pumps into a 1L spray bottle. Let it soak, not dry then hose off. Gets the bulk mud off.
Then 3 pumps into a bucket for hand washing.

I use the same method for cars and motorbikes. Only issue I've ever had was on rubber after letting it dry a little long, etched some minor water marks into window seals.
Had worse using a commercial car wash!

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I went to mop my floors the other day, and found I had no 'floor specific' cleaner in the house. I just put a squirt of dishwashing liquid in a bucket of warm water and the floors came up sparkling. Being a guy is mint. :p
Reminded me of my wife and how she doesn't like putting my sweaty bike gear in with her clothes in the wash together. I just throw everything all in together and send it! She has never complained because she doesn't know and can't tell the difference. (I don't put whites in with colours though, I'm not a philistine!)

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Washing powder friends, washing powder. It's crazy how good it is mixed into cold water. Its totally harmless on your gear, it'll help lift most substances from your bike that you clean regularly and is cheap. I found this out yooooooooonks ago traveling with my bikes overseas. It's such an easy way to get your bike clean for customs and doesn't pretend to be anything it's not.

And Dozer's hot tip for the day for you lads who love to take your bike overseas: Many many legends working in customs accept a photo of your bike clean & packed in your box / bag without the need for you to open it. I've had this luxury in Canada, New Zealand and returning to Australia. Get it clean, take a few photos in & out of the box and hit 'em with a bit of charm. ;)