Bike wash $WTF

teK--

Eats Squid
I have tried various cleaning products over the years, including what I use on the car (Autoglym Shampoo Conditioner) which is gentle, but doesn't really shift some of the thick clay mud that we get on the bikes:

51VvWan2coL._AC_SY879_.jpg

No matter how many products I try, ultimately nothing seems to match Muc Off Nano Wash in terms of foaming action and getting grime off without destroying the paint and rubber seals. Only thing is WTF is it so expensive??

They must be taking the piss out of the bike industry as usual, as it's probably just some industrial detergent they tweak with some colouring and scent, then mark it up 1000%. Used to be able to get it for $16 per litre concentrated, at CRC. $40 in Australia now is a joke.

519ruZ8jqRL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

I have been looking at MX shops and this looks promising for about 1/6 the cost of Mucoff when diluted to the recommended ratio, and seems to have all the qualities we want except maybe the NANO PARTICLES??:

DL-BW5.jpg

DIRTLAB BIKE WASH
Dirtlab Bike Wash is a concentrated water-based high-performance cleaner that removes built-up dirt and grime wash after wash. Fully biodegradable, and free from acids and solvents its not only safe on all surfaces, but you are staying environmentally friendly each time you clean.

FEATURES

• Safe on all parts and surfaces including carbon fiber
  • Will not harm seals, cables, brake pads, or rotors
  • Safe on anodized metal
  • Biodegradable
  • Made in Australia
Mix Ratio: Heavy Cleaning (Built-up Dirt and stubborn grime) 1:5
https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Dirtlab-5L-Bike-Wash-Concentrate/DL-BW5

I just don't want to spend $50 and be stuck with 5 litres, to find it's no better than the various other washes I keep ditching to go back to MucOff.

What are you guys using?

Scotty675

Cable thief
I’ve found you can’t beat muc off for ease of use and actually works. Buy it in 25ltr drum. Only way to buy it. Throw in with a couple of mates all come out ahead. I bought mine locally but pushys has it

teK--

Eats Squid
CT18 does the job for me...
5litres concentrate for under $40.
Looks promising cheers!

I’ve found you can’t beat muc off for ease of use and actually works. Buy it in 25ltr drum. Only way to buy it. Throw in with a couple of mates all come out ahead. I bought mine locally but pushys has it
Now we're talking!!! $6.80/Litre.

OK who in Melbourne is up for a group buy? :D

EDIT: Damn it's not concentrate. So it's really $27.20/litre for concentrate.

Sorry, group buy is off :p

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Don't leave this to dry on Ali, it can damage anodising.
Curious as to why? I assumed its because its a caustic cleaner, but the site says it is pH neutral and safe on all surfaces " including aluminium, brass, copper, glass, plastic, rubber, neoprene and vinyl "
Anyway I use it very diluted and it gets sprayed on and washed off almost straight away.

teK--

Eats Squid
Curious as to why? I assumed its because its a caustic cleaner, but the site says it is pH neutral and safe on all surfaces " including aluminium, brass, copper, glass, plastic, rubber, neoprene and vinyl "
Anyway I use it very diluted and it gets sprayed on and washed off almost straight away.
Maybe it's not perfectly 7ph? Who knows :confused:

From back in my car detailing days I learned it's best to keep all surfaces wet until you rinse everything down. Luckily with a bike its not a big area that starts drying in sections before you finish with the brush.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
#1 uses it. Have had this experience. It mat say neutral but it is soapy to touch and burns raw skin. I rarely use it. Anyway to each their own. I just use a car shampoo. But then I have snow foamed my fatbike...

teK--

Eats Squid
Funnily enough this was one of the ones I tried. It's not tough enough to clean the drivetrain but does a reasonable job on the other areas. Maybe a half/half mix of Mucoff and something like this could make it go further.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
#1 uses it. Have had this experience. It mat say neutral but it is soapy to touch and burns raw skin. I rarely use it. Anyway to each their own. I just use a car shampoo. But then I have snow foamed my fatbike...
Maybe if left to dry the water part has evaporated so even though it WAS diluted, its now actually more concentrated without the water in it. Either way have used it for years on dirtbikes and car etc without negative effects... or none that I've noticed anyway.

teK--

Eats Squid
What about these? :p

These (or any baby/sanitary wipes really), are actually a really good travel choice. I usually throw a pack in the bike bag when flying somewhere because you never know when you dont have the chance to wash the bike before flying back, or if you are going through a place with really strict biosecurity requirements.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Funnily enough this was one of the ones I tried. It's not tough enough to clean the drivetrain but does a reasonable job on the other areas. Maybe a half/half mix of Mucoff and something like this could make it go further.
To be honest I actually find the blue one works better for lifting dirt and not leaving as many water marks. Neither are up to deep-cleaning the drivetrain but tbh I wouldn't expect a general bike wash to do so...

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
CT18 for the once a year car wash. Though I did buy a Repco foam cannon and their pink foamy stuff last year and that sort of worked so I might try it with CT18 next time.

I don't wash the bikes very often. They get a hose occasionally. If they are still dirty then a microfiber cloth and whatever flavour of spray and wipe is leftover in the laundry cupboard is sufficient...

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Not tried but ratio of 50ml to 1 litre water so will make a lot.

Does your bike have any clear wrap (Invisframe, RideWrap) on it? I have found most things will just rinse off then a bit of scrub and dry.

teK--

Eats Squid
To be honest I actually find the blue one works better for lifting dirt and not leaving as many water marks. Neither are up to deep-cleaning the drivetrain but tbh I wouldn't expect a general bike wash to do so...
The Muc off nano wash (in a 1:2 concentration, instead of the usual 1:4) was the only thing I found which could strip gunked up Squirt wax lube off the drivetrain whilst at the same time not stripping paint and anodising... It's just such a good recipe they have which is why I keep going back :/

teK--

Eats Squid
Not tried but ratio of 50ml to 1 litre water so will make a lot.

Does your bike have any clear wrap (Invisframe, RideWrap) on it? I have found most things will just rinse off then a bit of scrub and dry.
Yeah got Invisiframe all over. Getting stuff off the main parts of the frame is easy for most detergents. It is when the rims and all the nooks and crannies get caked with clay or sticky grit that is the real test of an effective wash.

I also recently changed to Silca secret wax lube (the drip on stuff), based on a recommendation that it is heaps easier to clean off than Squirt. So far so good.