Black Dogs and mental shit in general

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Not in the slightest. One of Mrs George's weaknesses is people and crowds. Makes her being Club President quite the challenge. We had a come and try day yesterday with 18 club members and 27 new riders. She was cactus after all the peopleing
I’m with her. Humans are exhausting…

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Great turnout !
We were pretty stoked with it. Especially with a huge dirt bike race happening on the same day.

https://hattahdesertrace.com.au/race-information

None more so than Mrs George though. It was her event, she organised it, pushed for it and made it happen. There was much anxiety Sunday morning and even more relief Sunday night after it all went so well.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Not in the slightest. One of Mrs George's weaknesses is people and crowds. Makes her being Club President quite the challenge. We had a come and try day yesterday with 18 club members and 27 new riders. She was cactus after all the peopleing
I fully sympathise with Mrs George, being similarly uncomfortable in crowds, and having had a similar involvement with my yacht club over the years. Even without a committee role, I'm the one who gets called on to run the show when we host a significant regatta. At the end of the thing my brain is utterly fried. Junior regattas are worst, because you frequently have to deal with shitty parents.

Minlak

custom titis
Have I got a warped view of friendship? - to me friends are people that you interact with and talk to at least semi frequently - I would never call some one a "friend" if I had not spoken to them in the last month - there are certainly people I am aquainted with and I would catch up with them less frequently but I wouldn't call them "friends" when mentioning them. eg- People would say my friend Trevor where I would just say a guy I know Trevor if that makes sense?

I think I might overthink the term "friend"

The prompt for this question is some on one my FaceBook feed was all upset that they just found out in their words "A Dear Friend" had died 6 mths ago. i just would have thought to use that term you would have known sooner?

FYI - Not drunk - just going through some shit and my mind is asking a lot of stuff

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Have I got a warped view of friendship? - to me friends are people that you interact with and talk to at least semi frequently - I would never call some one a "friend" if I had not spoken to them in the last month - there are certainly people I am aquainted with and I would catch up with them less frequently but I wouldn't call them "friends" when mentioning them. eg- People would say my friend Trevor where I would just say a guy I know Trevor if that makes sense?

The prompt for this question is some on one my FaceBook feed was all upset that they just found out in their words "A Dear Friend" had died 6 mths ago. i just would have thought to use that term you would have known sooner?

FYI - Not drunk - just going through some shit and my mind is asking a lot of stuff
I have friends I can go for months without seeing and then see them several times a week for the next few months.

Everyone has their own things going on which may not be compatible with your definition of friend at a given point in time.

I would still considder anyone a friend as a person I can go a long time without seeing, only to be able to pick up naturaly as if we never had a gap the next time I see them.

I have different friends for different needs. They don't all tick all the boxes all the time. So I will sometimes cycle attention between them depending on where I'm at. A good friend understands this and doesn't even question it.

Don't try to define the boundaries of friendships in rigid ways. I mean some boundaries yes (dont fuck my wife lol), but how long between drinks? Nah. They're friends or they're not. Which, is up to you.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

It varies person to person. I have a simplistic view, if I talk to you, however often or infrequent, I consider you a friend. A couple of people who fall into that category have the same process as you. They have multiple levels of acquaintances with friend or mate pretty much at the top of the tree. It is just a different way of thinking. If you want to save the term friend for someone whom you see and communicate with regularly then that is fine, whatever works for you. Neither is right or wrong.

I do agree with that dear friend etc tends to be social mediaised as if there is some form of competition. Trying to establish that it was they who was the closest friend to cash in on the moment. Fucking pathetic.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I think once you become friends (whatever your definition is) then time between talking doesn't matter much, I agree with the "pick up where you left off" being a good indicator. I've had a number of friends met through MTB where this has applied.

One close ("dear") friend that I've known since school communicates with me every now and then, we haven't chatted directly in a few months, we have a chat group with both our partners included, that we talk on infrequently, but I would know within hours if he died.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I do agree with that dear friend etc tends to be social mediaised as if there is some form of competition. Trying to establish that it was they who was the closest friend to cash in on the moment. Fucking pathetic.
I got added to a "remembering XYZ*" group by a bunch of old friends from when i lived in teh ACT as a teenager. Turned out XYZ had topped himself and i dont even remember him despite bing part of the same circle for about 4 years. Theres photos of us in the same places, parties etc and i just dont rmember the guy. im still a member of the FB group and every couple of montsh people post to it and i feel guilty a) for not remembering this guy that was part of the circle and b) that if i were to leave I'd have to explain that to everyone else in teh group when they ask why i left :(

*XYZ used to preserve my anonymity incase anyone else here is in that group :/

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I think once you become friends (whatever your definition is) then time between talking doesn't matter much, I agree with the "pick up where you left off" being a good indicator. I've had a number of friends met through MTB where this has applied.

One close ("dear") friend that I've known since school communicates with me every now and then, we haven't chatted directly in a few months, we have a chat group with both our partners included, that we talk on infrequently, but I would know within hours if he died.
I have a friend I think ive spoken to about 5 times in the last 10 years... I randomly dropped in to say hi the last time i was driving to Canberra (she lives in the middle of bum fuck past Bendigo somewhere...) and it was picking straight up from where left off. We've known each since high school and at various points we've hung out a lot and then there will be years in between.

To me thats a good friend. Not counting the times you talk in a year or something.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I have a friend I think ive spoken to about 5 times in the last 10 years... I randomly dropped in to say hi the last time i was driving to Canberra (she lives in the middle of bum fuck past Bendigo somewhere...) and it was picking straight up from where left off. We've known each since high school and at various points we've hung out a lot and then there will be years in between.

To me thats a good friend. Not counting the times you talk in a year or something.
A lot of my mates are like that. We don't see each other often, but when we do its like no time has passed.