Black Dogs and mental shit in general

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Well this has become interesting -
Was driving to client and went around a roundabout when a car pulled across in front of me - I had to brake so I hit my horn - Next thing I see is the car that was going straight go around the round about and start following me into the shopping centre - I kept driving through the first car park towards the exit - then he still followed - The exit was congested as controlled by lights - So I turned into another car park where I know I can exit onto the main road - he decided he has had enough and gives me the evil eye and turns inot the lights and I park at the far end of the car park.

I started walking to the shops got half way and had to turn around as anxiety wouldn't let me leave the car - I was positive in my mind that I would come back to slashed tyres - I drove to my treatment rooms but client had cancelled - I was still shaking when I went back to my car and get anxiety - I went to the other shops on the way home as I was worried about going to the shops he was at - even though he wasnt there he had left 30 mins ago at least- Now I have come home can't settle and keep going out to check on my car - Even though I know I live in a cul - de -sac and I am just being stupid - I keep swirling scenarios in my head - Sigh
What @Spanky_Ham sayeth. I have had a few people do the wrong thing lately and then treat you as the cause, nothing like that though my instinct would be to drive to a police station and drive into their carpark. Down here at least those are on CCTV so if dumb arse follows you in they get a rego. I had a moron cut me off Fri driving straight through a stop sign then after I blew him a kiss he brake checked me. I think he wanted second base. Anyway not even close and then I followed him though only because I was going that way. Not really worth it with fuckwits and meth heads etc. Did you get it on hoblo cam?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Well this has become interesting -
Was driving to client and went around a roundabout when a car pulled across in front of me - I had to brake so I hit my horn - Next thing I see is the car that was going straight go around the round about and start following me into the shopping centre - I kept driving through the first car park towards the exit - then he still followed - The exit was congested as controlled by lights - So I turned into another car park where I know I can exit onto the main road - he decided he has had enough and gives me the evil eye and turns inot the lights and I park at the far end of the car park.

I started walking to the shops got half way and had to turn around as anxiety wouldn't let me leave the car - I was positive in my mind that I would come back to slashed tyres - I drove to my treatment rooms but client had cancelled - I was still shaking when I went back to my car and get anxiety - I went to the other shops on the way home as I was worried about going to the shops he was at - even though he wasnt there he had left 30 mins ago at least- Now I have come home can't settle and keep going out to check on my car - Even though I know I live in a cul - de -sac and I am just being stupid - I keep swirling scenarios in my head - Sigh
Not stoopid at all. Too many fucked up arseholes driving cars, IMO. Time to get a good dash cam unit.
You can make a bee-line for the nearest copshop (if you didn't have a client appt) and just park outside, or preferably in their carpark if it's not behind a gate - as Dales said, get the shitstain's rego plate on the cop cameras. show them the footage and tell them the cockhead followed you. Straight up road rage.

Last edited:

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I went to the docs yesterday and had a chat. He's prescribed me some SNRI antidepressants to take, and wean myself off the SSRIs over the next couple of weeks. Reading around the topic, these have a few more side effects than the SSRIs, but I didn't have any on them so I'm hoping thats the same here. Also has the side effect of loss of appetite, which may be a good thing given I'm craving a few things at the minute and can't keep out of the fridge. SNRIs also have an effect on motivation as thats been a real lacking factor for me for quite a while, so I'm interested to see where that goes.
Update time.
A week on the new meds, and have dropped the dosage of my previous meds by taking half a tablet
I had a rough few days last week, but despite a tough weekend - very interrupted sleep, riding, kids swimming, building fucking monkey bars, dinner at the in-laws and an excursion when I wasn't feeling great - I've managed to keep a lid on things and woke up today feeling pretty good.
I didn't have time to get to the gym and back but I did get out for a walk, which is more than I've managed for the next 3 weeks.
It might be placebo, or might be a reasonable nights sleep but I'm feeling OK today

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Awesome news, waking up feeling pretty good is a fookin great start. Focus on the fact that happened.... And remember it will happen again.

Go for another walk, take the kids to a local park or just let them break bones on the monkey bars you built ...

Whatever happens, remember this moment, you can achieve it again ( there might be some shit in between those good moments, but trust the pig on this one... It's the long haul called life.

S

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Scotty T

Walks the walk
A long time mate of mine has struggled with anger management and depression, it's cost him jobs, friends and a wife.

We get together on Friday nights (2-5 of us) and jam on the DJ gear in my garage, have done for 15 years fairly solidly. He's had form of showing up very angry, taking it out on us a bit then calming down and being OK for the session.

He rocks over Friday night, walks up the drive where another mate had parked his van with bike on a vertical rack, old mate doesn't see it in the dark and nearly whacks into it with his eye. Music is going, he is coming up the driveway ranting about "your bike nearly took my eye out" and I wasn't paying much attention nor was bike owner mate, so we thought he was cracking a joke like "the bike jumped out and nearly got me" or "you'll put an eye out with that young man" but he was actually fuming. So he storms into my garage and slaps bike owner mates hand (which he'd just hurt while riding and had the ice pack slapped away to the ground) aggressively as if to pick a school yard fight. Then proceeds to talk angrily with snide remarks and outwardly show he's still fuming, so I told him to go home and he did.

I am not sure how to respond. It's hard to read the situation, but I feel he must have been in a fucked up mood before he nearly took his eye out, not the bike, not my mate who left it there, not what I thought was backpedalling about his over reaction when he said he was so angry because we laughed. He was already angry.

I want to tell him how normal people handle these things with their friends. If it was me, I would have been thinking "oh shit that was lucky, I nearly fucked up badly" and calmly walked in, greeted everyone then said something like "oh better watch that bike on the rack, I nearly took my eye out haha". Actually I probably would have put it in my memory bank as "watch your eye on that bike rack" and not said anything. But he already knows this, because I have never ever turned up and been aggressive to him in the 25+ years we've known each other.

Then later in the night my mate (van owner) reminded me of the time old mate came riding with a few others who didn't know him and acted like an angry child the entire ride, because he was pissed with me for using Instagram messaging and him not checking it so was disorganised for the ride. I agreed to text him, and that was resolved. I'm realising his anger is always someone else's fault, he won't take responsibility for it.

This might have been the last straw, at least until he can figure out how to not bring anger and how to not get so angry over tiny things when he comes to hang or ride.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Update time.
A week on the new meds, and have dropped the dosage of my previous meds by taking half a tablet
I had a rough few days last week, but despite a tough weekend - very interrupted sleep, riding, kids swimming, building fucking monkey bars, dinner at the in-laws and an excursion when I wasn't feeling great - I've managed to keep a lid on things and woke up today feeling pretty good.
I didn't have time to get to the gym and back but I did get out for a walk, which is more than I've managed for the next 3 weeks.
It might be placebo, or might be a reasonable nights sleep but I'm feeling OK today
Further update.
11 days of new meds. Dropped my previous meds to half a table alternate days at the start of the week, so will keep doing that until they're gone - about 10 days or so
Sleep hasn't been great, but mood and motivation keep improving despite still feeling tired constantly. I've gotten angry a few times but not sat on it.
Got to the gym yesterday, which I'm happy about. Upping the weight after 3 weeks off wasn't a good idea, but ah well. Quads are suffering a bit today
It's the wifes weekend so I doubt I'll get out for a ride but we'll see.
Will check back on Monday

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Further update.
11 days of new meds. Dropped my previous meds to half a table alternate days at the start of the week, so will keep doing that until they're gone - about 10 days or so
Sleep hasn't been great, but mood and motivation keep improving despite still feeling tired constantly. I've gotten angry a few times but not sat on it.
Got to the gym yesterday, which I'm happy about. Upping the weight after 3 weeks off wasn't a good idea, but ah well. Quads are suffering a bit today
It's the wifes weekend so I doubt I'll get out for a ride but we'll see.
Will check back on Monday
Are you finding that just writing about your journey is helping somewhat?

zac

Likes Dirt
I've been having a pretty rough time lately... I hit 40 last year and basically hit a mid life crisis head on. Put on a shitload of weight, been hit with asthma a fair bit this year, lost motivation for pretty much anything, struggling to see the light at the end of the tunnel and not being entirely negative about the fact that it might be an oncoming train...

I'm very much feeling taken for granted both at home and especially work and I kinda don't really have a lot of people to talk to about what's going on in my head - don't socialize at all, I've got one good mate but I don't want to dump all my shit on him cause I don't want to make it his problem. Don't feel like I can really talk to my fiancee about it as she (and the rest of my family) all have way too much of their own shit going on and I don't want to add to that.

I've had a particularly dark couple of weeks lately - took a week off to spend riding for my 41st but got crook and had semi surprise visitors (which was admittedly really nice, hadnt seen my sister and her husband in 6 months) so that went out the window which didn't help my head (i'd been looking forward to that to help relax and refresh my head), then when I got back to work I'd been removed from the role I've had and loved for the last 18 months with no explanation whatsoever which sent me further into a hole. I've been stressing about money cause I have a dickhead credit card and a low paying job, and the car's been playing up but we can't afford to sell it unregistered so had to splurge to get it fixed. Also found out that dad (who has a heart condition which will eventually lead to failure) had to have a scan cause they reckoned his heart had deteriorated more than it should have - scan came back with nothing concerning though, whoch is a positive. Shit just seems to be piling up and I'm struggling to see over the heap, especially when last week I realised I'm now way too fucking heavy to ride my dually.

On the plus side, I went for a ride on Tuesday arvo (first time since may) - I managed to rearrange my hours a little and went up to Daisy Hill. Took the hardtail out and within seconds of starting Jim's I was giggling. It was a frickin blast, and I'd probably still be out there if I didn't have to pick up my fiancee and go to work. I didn't manage to ride as many of the fire road hills as I did last time I was there but had so much fun doing the trails I didn't care. Aiming to get back out next Tuesday but we'll see what happens.

I guess I've managed to claw my way out of the worst of it but I still feel like I'm very much struggling. I'm settling in to my new role at work and starting to enjoy it a little, but I'll still be hoping to get back to what I was doing. Semi looking at trying something different with a new job in a different industry, but even retraining is out of reach financially at the moment so I'm just keeping on I guess. I don't really mean to put this on anyone but I think I just needed to write it down and put it out there just this once, sorry - think this is the first time I've felt like I needed to do that and I'm not sure whether that's a bit of a concern or not...

zac

Likes Dirt
Yep. That and going and scrubbing my brain at a Psych every now and again. Talking to people you don’t know and aren’t going to judge you in the same way as people you know help as there aren’t any preconceptions around you or what’s wrong
I kind of like the idea of this, I feel very guilty at the thought of putting what's going on in my head into someone else's... Glad to hear you're feeling like you're improving - have you spoken to the doc about the sleeplessness?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I don't really mean to put this on anyone but I think I just needed to write it down and put it out there just this once, sorry - think this is the first time I've felt like I needed to do that and I'm not sure whether that's a bit of a concern or not...
Put it on us all you like; as you can see from this thread there's a bunch of people in a similar boat and plenty of people happy to talk and listen.

Nobody on here will ever have an issue with you unburdening yourself.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I've been having a pretty rough time lately... I hit 40 last year and basically hit a mid life crisis head on. Put on a shitload of weight, been hit with asthma a fair bit this year, lost motivation for pretty much anything, struggling to see the light at the end of the tunnel and not being entirely negative about the fact that it might be an oncoming train...

I'm very much feeling taken for granted both at home and especially work and I kinda don't really have a lot of people to talk to about what's going on in my head - don't socialize at all, I've got one good mate but I don't want to dump all my shit on him cause I don't want to make it his problem. Don't feel like I can really talk to my fiancee about it as she (and the rest of my family) all have way too much of their own shit going on and I don't want to add to that.

I've had a particularly dark couple of weeks lately - took a week off to spend riding for my 41st but got crook and had semi surprise visitors (which was admittedly really nice, hadnt seen my sister and her husband in 6 months) so that went out the window which didn't help my head (i'd been looking forward to that to help relax and refresh my head), then when I got back to work I'd been removed from the role I've had and loved for the last 18 months with no explanation whatsoever which sent me further into a hole. I've been stressing about money cause I have a dickhead credit card and a low paying job, and the car's been playing up but we can't afford to sell it unregistered so had to splurge to get it fixed. Also found out that dad (who has a heart condition which will eventually lead to failure) had to have a scan cause they reckoned his heart had deteriorated more than it should have - scan came back with nothing concerning though, whoch is a positive. Shit just seems to be piling up and I'm struggling to see over the heap, especially when last week I realised I'm now way too fucking heavy to ride my dually.

On the plus side, I went for a ride on Tuesday arvo (first time since may) - I managed to rearrange my hours a little and went up to Daisy Hill. Took the hardtail out and within seconds of starting Jim's I was giggling. It was a frickin blast, and I'd probably still be out there if I didn't have to pick up my fiancee and go to work. I didn't manage to ride as many of the fire road hills as I did last time I was there but had so much fun doing the trails I didn't care. Aiming to get back out next Tuesday but we'll see what happens.

I guess I've managed to claw my way out of the worst of it but I still feel like I'm very much struggling. I'm settling in to my new role at work and starting to enjoy it a little, but I'll still be hoping to get back to what I was doing. Semi looking at trying something different with a new job in a different industry, but even retraining is out of reach financially at the moment so I'm just keeping on I guess. I don't really mean to put this on anyone but I think I just needed to write it down and put it out there just this once, sorry - think this is the first time I've felt like I needed to do that and I'm not sure whether that's a bit of a concern or not...
Mate, bikes are fun... Glad you got out and reaffirmed it for yourself.. It sounds like you're on the up, and if riding is going to help that than try and get out more..
If there's one thing I've learnt about work, it's that it is exactly that...work...if it was supposed to be Fun than that's what it would be called. I've had varying degrees of fuckwit at every job I've ever had... Whatever... Turn up, do your job as best you can, get paid and focus on life outside of work. No matter how much effort you put in there'll always be some fuckwit trying to take advantage of it or bring you down...
But yes...more bike...always more bike.