Black Dogs and mental shit in general

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I also had my ADHD assessment with a psychologist on Monday. Almost 2 hours of solid questions left me pretty drains.
He writes a report and then I see the Psychiatrist mid-Jan to see what he says.
If I don't have anything, fine - but I do want to see whats going on up there...
Had this appointment this morning. Sounds like I have a touch of hyperactivity along with mostly inattentive ADHD
Shrink is going to start me on some slow release dexys and check back in 6 weeks once the med have settled down to review my dosage
Had to do a drug screen then I can pick up the scrip in a couple of days.

Rorschach

Ok, first day on the dexys today.
Not noticed much so far, other than maybe feeling a bit more focused but that might be placebo.
Have 6 weeks at a low dose then another appointment with the shrink to look at increasing.
Bonus side effect is suppression of appetite so might help me stay away from the treats

Rorschach

Day 3 on the dexy diet and things are... interesting.
Firstly the positives:
  • Things seem a bit clearer and less fuzzy. Focus is better however there've been a few distractions today so haven't 'road tested' it at work yet
  • Frustration tolerance seems a bit higher, but will see if thats a thing or not.
  • Side benefit is that I'm feeling less snacky during the day and hungry overall. I didn't have dinner on Saturday or Sunday, although I did have large lunches both days. Not sure if this is a thing yet either, but we'll see. I'm also visiting the fridge less at work, and when I do I think it's more out of habit
  • Flagging less at work despite sleep issues - see below

The negatives:
  • My sleep is all kinds of fucked. I like to be in bed by 930 and asleep by 1030 as the kids have been up at night recently and I need ~7 hours of sleep to function but Saturday I was awake til 1am and last night I was up til gone 3, at which point the eldest woke up. My brain has clocked out, so I'm lying in bed with my eyes closed but still awake. Last night I got up and sat on the couch for a bit to try and reset but no go. Plus side is when I took this mornings dose I was wide awake again in 20 minutes. Hopefully this settles or it'll be a trip to the GP for something to counteract it.
  • They're having a bit of effect on my insides. Not to get too graphic but things have escalated pretty quickly in the bathroom dept. Not to the point of shitting myself, but a pretty urgent trip required. I also randomly needed a spew last night out of the blue. Wasn't feeling sick or anything, just felt my mouth filling with saliva. Nothing before or since. Both of these have come on in the evening as (I assume) the drugs start to wear off.
  • Also been a bit shaky/jittery but thats to be expected while I get used to it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Day 3 on the dexy diet and things are... interesting.
Firstly the positives:
  • Things seem a bit clearer and less fuzzy. Focus is better however there've been a few distractions today so haven't 'road tested' it at work yet
  • Frustration tolerance seems a bit higher, but will see if thats a thing or not.
  • Side benefit is that I'm feeling less snacky during the day and hungry overall. I didn't have dinner on Saturday or Sunday, although I did have large lunches both days. Not sure if this is a thing yet either, but we'll see. I'm also visiting the fridge less at work, and when I do I think it's more out of habit
  • Flagging less at work despite sleep issues - see below

The negatives:
  • My sleep is all kinds of fucked. I like to be in bed by 930 and asleep by 1030 as the kids have been up at night recently and I need ~7 hours of sleep to function but Saturday I was awake til 1am and last night I was up til gone 3, at which point the eldest woke up. My brain has clocked out, so I'm lying in bed with my eyes closed but still awake. Last night I got up and sat on the couch for a bit to try and reset but no go. Plus side is when I took this mornings dose I was wide awake again in 20 minutes. Hopefully this settles or it'll be a trip to the GP for something to counteract it.
  • They're having a bit of effect on my insides. Not to get too graphic but things have escalated pretty quickly in the bathroom dept. Not to the point of shitting myself, but a pretty urgent trip required. I also randomly needed a spew last night out of the blue. Wasn't feeling sick or anything, just felt my mouth filling with saliva. Nothing before or since. Both of these have come on in the evening as (I assume) the drugs start to wear off.
  • Also been a bit shaky/jittery but thats to be expected while I get used to it.
Have you checked side effects on the manufacturer's site? Worth a chat with your GP if you can do a tele hookup thing.

Rorschach

Have you checked side effects on the manufacturer's site? Worth a chat with your GP if you can do a tele hookup thing.
Yeah, known side effect disclosed on a few bits of paper I was given before I started taking them.
I’ve not had side effects before so this is a new one on me though

Rorschach

OK, Wednesday update, 4 full days in.
Negative side effects have dropped off for the most part. No crook guts or vomiting, and my sleep on Monday and Tuesday nights was much better. I was still awake longer than I'd like, but not so late as I didn't get enough rest. Yes, kids are still waking me up but I can deal with that. Seem to sleep deeper too, but not sure if that's catching up from a couple of really shit nights. If its like this ongoing, I can deal.
Jitteriness and what I now see as anxiety have dropped off too, almost now like I'm starting the day having had a coffee, which is fine by me as its helping me get my shit together in the morning
Outside that, there are a few other (weird) positive things I've noticed:
  • My head feels really quiet. This is a weird one to try and explain, but even when I'm focused, my mind is wandering and I'm thinking of other stuff. I listen to music when I'm working to try and distract the part of my brain that wants to flit between stuff and look at the things as they happen. The last few days it's been easier to just get on with stuff - particularly as I'm writing performance reviews, which I avoid at all costs normally!
  • Focus is up. Don't feel like I need to get out of my seat every 5 minutes!
  • Often when I sit down I can feel my heart beating in my head. I don't get that anymore, which freaked me out a bit when I managed to sit down for 5 minutes at the weekend. Given I'm effectively on a stimulant, I'd expect the opposite more than anything else and my heart to be bursting out of my chest, but it's not. My RHR has dropped a bit, but likely that's due to getting better sleep than at the weekend, and going to the gym normally drops that the day after as well.
  • I've felt so much calmer and level. I did snap at the wife and get a bit shitty at the weekend, but it seems to be the exception given how the last couple of days have gone. Normally I find the time after work with the kids to be the most stressful time of the day, but while I've gotten frustrated with the kids, I haven't gone off. It's as if I'm getting a circuit breaker and rather than acting on emotion as I was before, I'm acting with my head.
  • I also feel less like I'm thinking about what's happening immediately in front of me. My ability to plan in the short term is shocking, but I find I'm able to think a few steps ahead now, which is leaving me less flustered and better able to get my head in the game
  • Appetite is down, which is good. Hasn't taken a nosedive, but on Monday I didn't eat half my dinner as I couldn't eat any more, and last night I ate it, but more as it was there. I'm also eating a lot more slowly, rather than wolfing everything down. Feeling less snacky too, so means I'm raiding the fridge at work less. Also noticing I'm thirsty more than I was, so actively drinking more water than trying to force myself. Was a bit of drop on the scales this morning, but I'm also going to the gym (started going with someone from work at lunch) so not overly worried about that, more interested in how I feel about myself.
Now that the side effects have dropped off, a lot of stuff seems to be positive. Will update again once things settle down more and any placebo from new tablets has gone

Rorschach

OK, update time 10 days in.
Everything has wound back a fair bit since last week, which I kind of expected but not as quickly as it's happened.
On Thursday, I noticed my mind starting to wander again, which it hadn't done a lot of since the weekend. I've had a song stuck in my head for a whole week now too.
so head is a bit noisier again, but still down on before. Focus has taken a hit again so need to keep reminding myself to keep working!
I am still calmer than I was, and these meds have done more for my depression than the SSRIs/SNRIs ever have, which is positive. I have gotten frustrated and snappy a couple of times, but it still seems less than previous.
Appetite has come back a bit, but still down a bit on before.
I have 5 more weeks before I see the shrink again and he'll likely increase the dose again to see where I end up.

Still glad I got it looked at, best thing I've done in quite a while.

Rorschach

@Rorschach - I know you are looking at everything with a critical eye to see where the changes are and assessing what that means for you - but please remember even “normal” people get frustrated and snappy and have mood changes. The aim imho would be to not be manic and or prolonged in this states.
Yeah, for sure. I am a scientist so looking at this stuff as things change comes as second nature.
On the antidepressants (and much more so before going on them), I could get angry and frustrated and it'd leave me in that state long after whatever had caused me to get like that had passed, to the point I was angry basically all the time.
On the antidepressants, I'd also wake up in a rubbish mood for no real reason, and it'd stick with me the whole day - that'd happen about every month or so for a day. I was a bit like that on Sunday but managed to get through it. The start of last week I felt much happier, but I am on a stimulant so thats to be expected.
What I'm more trying to compare to is how I felt 2 weeks ago vs. how I felt at the start of last week. While the effects are dropping off as my body starts to normalise (and thankfully my sleep is now as normal as it gets), the shrink did say that they were starting me on a low dose to get my body used to it and they'd increase the dose from what I'm on now to around double that. I'm expecting over the next few weeks, things will tail off a bit more but likely stay above my previous baseline.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yeah, for sure. I am a scientist so looking at this stuff as things change comes as second nature.
On the antidepressants (and much more so before going on them), I could get angry and frustrated and it'd leave me in that state long after whatever had caused me to get like that had passed, to the point I was angry basically all the time.
On the antidepressants, I'd also wake up in a rubbish mood for no real reason, and it'd stick with me the whole day - that'd happen about every month or so for a day. I was a bit like that on Sunday but managed to get through it. The start of last week I felt much happier, but I am on a stimulant so thats to be expected.
What I'm more trying to compare to is how I felt 2 weeks ago vs. how I felt at the start of last week. While the effects are dropping off as my body starts to normalise (and thankfully my sleep is now as normal as it gets), the shrink did say that they were starting me on a low dose to get my body used to it and they'd increase the dose from what I'm on now to around double that. I'm expecting over the next few weeks, things will tail off a bit more but likely stay above my previous baseline.
You’ve joined the adhd club at the worst possible moment, there is a world wide shortage of Vyvanse.

Vyvanse is so much nicer then dex. Much longer, sustained release from one capsule. 8-12 hours typically and you can shoulder it with dex before and after for a larger window of productivity if needed.

Worth trying Ritalin, and it’s slow release version Concerta too. Everyone reacts differently, I find their comedown hideous. Others do not

Rorschach

You’ve joined the adhd club at the worst possible moment, there is a world wide shortage of Vyvanse.

Vyvanse is so much nicer then dex. Much longer, sustained release from one capsule. 8-12 hours typically and you can shoulder it with dex before and after for a larger window of productivity if needed.

Worth trying Ritalin, and it’s slow release version Concerta too. Everyone reacts differently, I find their comedown hideous. Others do not
Ugh, fucks sake. Vyvanse is what I’m on at the minute too.