BMX.....bashy....help?

punkfreq

Likes Dirt
ok...problem: I want to get into bmx and I'm thinking of getting one.... but i am definitely not loving the flimsy cog thingy on the front not being protected. The obvious solution would be to put a bashy on... but my question is... Can you put a bashy on a BMX? and if so, do you need to buy a special kind or something. Any help ranging from "You're a douchebag" to "Extreme technical response"

il bet the first reply is "You're a douchebag"

888_SANCHEZ

Likes Dirt
let me be the first to say... You're a douchebag:p (couldnt resist)

could ya put mtb cranks on a bmx? or do they run a different BB?

floody

Wheel size expert
There is a positively massive amount of BMX sprockets with bash/grind guards on them out there. Practically every BMX aftermarket company has one. Snafu and Perv are two good budgetish brands to look at.

cowboy from hell

Likes Bikes
U will need to get a spider, I think that’s what it’s called, and then u can put a bash guard on then u can put it on BMX cranks.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
you can run a bashy on a BMX but they dont go all the way around, they just bolt onto the chainring and go on the side you have down when your pedals are flat. check out any BMX website (ozscenebmx.com for example) and do a search there)

snachez.. mtbs and bmxs run diff sized BBs.

wombat

Lives in a hole
punkfreq said:
ok...problem: I want to get into bmx and I'm thinking of getting one.... but i am definitely not loving the flimsy cog thingy on the front not being protected. The obvious solution would be to put a bashy on... but my question is... Can you put a bashy on a BMX? and if so, do you need to buy a special kind or something. Any help ranging from "You're a douchebag" to "Extreme technical response"

Well firstly, BMX sprockets are generally far from "flimsy", but if you're doing lots of grinding then a guard might make life easier on your chain. There's plenty of BMX sprockets with guards available. Companies including Eastern and Odyssey make ones with bolt on guards, and Macniel and S&M among others do full, CNC'd guards/sprockets. Any shop that sells good BMX gear should be able to show you a few different options.

big_pete

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How about

You know the comvertors you get to make your mtb bmx bottom bracket into mtb cranks, if you follow me
You could do that and run a bashy and a smaller front ring then make the cog on the rear smaller so its just as fast..
I think that would work maybe not..

-Pete

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
mongoose do a 35 t (i think) with a bolt on bashie, with ah few different points to mount it. its fairly cheap about 45 bucks.. which is how much you pay for some of the actaul bashies on a few other brands sprokets..

i am pretty sure RCOH on here, has a full bashie on a pair of bmx cranks, on his rythem (i think) maybe he can tell us what it is?

Derek Yates

Soul Rider
E-13 Bashies

punkfreq said:
E-13 Superchargers use the 5/110 bolt pattern of a lot of BMX rings. You can get in 40t and 36t for bmx's running suitable rings. Alternatively you can get the E-13 BMX style rings for any 19mm axle BMX setup and run the 40t or 36t Superchargers. The other option is the new E-13 Super Spider for BMX 3pc cranks and running any of the standard MTB 4 bolt rings with 19mm B/B axles. You'll need to tangle the dangle angle for the correct biometric E-X-T-R-E-M-E!!!

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
or if your a street rider you could simply buy any tough sprocket. bashies dont do much except protect the chain a little bit.

screw getting a spider. no point.

punkfreq

Likes Dirt
I once was lost...but now am found!

Seriously thanks a bunch of bananas all.... most of it made sense to my brain full of limited bike knowledge so thanks for dumbing it down for me

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mtb bike bb is the same as bmx euro bottom bracket
bmx bb is bigger but you can get a conversion kit to fit it
hope that helps

(ps. anyone got any idea where spanish and mid bb's fit into this? :confused: )

wombat

Lives in a hole
bowzaa said:
(ps. anyone got any idea where spanish and mid bb's fit into this? :confused: )
Spanish BBs are basically Euro BB size but with a US BB interface; ie. they're press in cups instead of threaded.

S_M_I_D_D_Y

Likes Dirt
How much do u wanna spend? if i was you, id get a Tree sprocket, with bashy. they are almost indestructable. and the bashy is replaceable and pretty cheap, but it only covers the bottom of the ring. or if u need a full bashy, macneal make one, or you could run a spider with a e13 or similar, buti would still prefer the first setup. i had it on my old bmx. it will cost around $150