Bottom out thread

Rob rides

Likes Dirt
Mad pics! there is some absolutely sick ones, i've seen 15ft drops on hardtails
(without triples) and it hasnt got that close, how crazy must some of these hucks been !!???

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well the hardtails probably had a hard suspension setup, where as most DH bikes have soft setups that are meant to bottom out at least once throughout a DH run to give a smoother ride.

Dan.

Farkin guerilla
Well the hardtails probably had a hard suspension setup, where as most DH bikes have soft setups that are meant to bottom out at least once throughout a DH run to give a smoother ride.
Shocks are never designed for bottom out ever, let alone in a dh run.

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shocks are never designed for bottom out ever, let alone in a dh run.
BS, even Rockshox advertises the fact that the Vivid is made to be bottomed out and it's not often a company say's something like that.

Dan.

Farkin guerilla
BS, even Rockshox advertises the fact that the Vivid is made to be bottomed out and it's not often a company say's something like that.
Why would a company advertise something like that. Sure RockShox may do it but I can say that having the fork slam down to 0 travel is not something it is designed to do. Thats why they have dampening. Sure they may come close and sometimes bottom out but there not designed to do that.

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No the suspension is not designed to do it automatically, but is designed to take it. If you're suspension is set up correctly for your weight you shouldn't be bottoming out frequently, but around once a run, on those bigger hits, so you are taking full advantage of the travel you have to use.

-Troy-

Likes Dirt
Why would a company advertise something like that. Sure RockShox may do it but I can say that having the fork slam down to 0 travel is not something it is designed to do. Thats why they have dampening. Sure they may come close and sometimes bottom out but there not designed to do that.
It just means that you are using up all your travel. You could adjust your suspension so it doesn't bottom out on big hits but then it wouldn't work so well on the smaller stuff.

dh1

Likes Dirt
Your fork or shock can be set up properly but still bottom out sometimes. Maybe the fact that it goes all the way to bottom out and works 100% fine after is something to advertise about becasue it shows reliable and that it can handle anything and if it does then it is something to brag about

Last edited:

Barnsy

Likes Dirt
I don't agree, if you're bottoming out, your fork isn't set up properly. It means that it's no longer the damping that's slowing travel, but your lower crown or the body of the shock, which isn't good for your fork or your shock (anyone here had their damping system pop out when bottoming out before???). You should be playing with damping depending on the ride style and the track to keep it from happening. Granted, you want your fork/shock to stop with 1mm spare, just enough to not clink! That's tough, but its the ideal...

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't agree, if you're bottoming out, your fork isn't set up properly. It means that it's no longer the damping that's slowing travel, but your lower crown or the body of the shock, which isn't good for your fork or your shock (anyone here had their damping system pop out when bottoming out before???). You should be playing with damping depending on the ride style and the track to keep it from happening. Granted, you want your fork/shock to stop with 1mm spare, just enough to not clink! That's tough, but its the ideal...
as far as dh goes, your suspension should be bottoming a couple of times a run, that why you know you are using all available travel and maximising your traction. there is also a difference between harsh bottoming and just "bottoming", damping helps control this.

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unfortunetly, your suspension can't tell that you've just hucked off an 8' drop and overshot your tranny, so it's going to bottom hard. It has to be able to take it. That's what bottomout bumpers are for.