Boulder Track You Yangs - How to ride one bit??

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just spent a great 8 hrs at You Yangs and was able to session up pretty much all we tried but was puzzled on the Boulder Track 9 by that channel between the two huge boulders just after you cross over the Stockyards Loop 1.

Couldn't decide whether a) you ride up the boulder on the right, b) ride a bit up the boulder and use it as a berm and come down over the top rock in the channel or c) just blast your way up the center somehow?

Either way couldn't do any of them so just very puzzled and interested on some clues on how to attack it!

Hud

Likes Dirt
I think the idea is to 'berm' it aout 2 thirds of the way up. If you go up the middle I imagine you'd get jammed. If you ride up the high side on the right too far you risk going over the edge. I push it:)

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
The accepted technique (as taught by Norm and Jessica Douglas, no less!) is option (a) ride up the boulder on the right.

Do it thusly: Ride down and across the road, and once you have passed the little signpost on the left let the bike roll and pick up speed down the incline. As you approach the rock get out of the seat! (Yes, I know it sounds elementary, but you would be surprised...) When you hit the rock and start to ascend, steer ever-so-slightly to the left so as to ensure that you end up riding along the top of the rock and towards the next part of the track. (If you find yourself going a fraction too slow, you can give it a little pedal as you get to the top of the rock. This is almost never necessary, however)

This technique has the advantage that it is (a) Timmy!!! proof and (b) requires far less speed than using it as a berm. Basically, you have a huge margin for error with this technique, which is very handy when you are as incompetent as I am.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the answers guys... I don't think I can ride it any technique but I just needed to know what one should do... will at least attempt next time... damn its a great track!

joe79

Likes Dirt
yeah i ride up the right side.
the tricky part for me was carrying speed into it. at first i'd get nervous of overshooting, so i'd overcompensate, brake hard, and end up stalling and toppling into the middle.

Matty_P

Likes Dirt
Yep, ride it up the right hand side. After many attempts I nailed it a few weeks ago. Getting your speed right is the key, and your mind. Get off your brakes after crossing track 1. My problem was mental & not physical ...

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
it never fails to scare me. even after the 20th time!! look on the right hand boulder and you will probably see tyre marks kicking up onto it.
:cool:

Travvy43

Likes Bikes
The first time i saw it i just rode through the clam, and got stuck. Prior to my next ride out there i spoke to someone who told me how to ride it. Went out there aimed with those instructions and thought there is no way.

The thing that got me over the line was actually seeing someone do it. Once i saw them do it, and as matty said, got up the necessary pace to attack it, all was sweet. Its a great obsticle though, gives you a rush every time you tackle it.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My brother rides it as a berm, me, I walk it cos I've never seen anyone else do it except him- but I'll try up the right next time.

macboy

Likes Dirt
during the bushfire enduro I was walking it when a chick came past up on the boulder, she was flying, I was well impressed. It looked cool from the lower angle too.

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
... a chick came past up on the boulder, she was flying, I was well impressed.
Any chick who passes you on a ride is hot, by definition. (So long as she's not a close relative). This is the upside of being a really slow rider: there's that many more hotties out there.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was out there this morning for a final short dawn ride and saw three riders shoot up it. Made it look really easy.

My riding buddy said confidently "it looks easy" and then had a go, got halfway and chickened out and had a nasty scraping fall down the rock.... that chickened me out.. even when I then saw someone else shoot up it.

When you look at the actual line you have to ride it doesn't look much worse than some other bits, even like the dirt piles near the end.. it just is very scary looking with all the nasty rock on either side. Really seems to be something you have to give 100% or you are completely stuffed. Oh well next time I am in Melbourne.

akashra

Eats Squid
The race held there today used the clamshell, about 60% of people walked it - I walked it every lap which cost ~20-30 seconds each time.

fop1

Likes Bikes
its a lot easier to do than it looks just keep your speed and make sure your not too far on the left of it otherwise you'll slide down. After doing it once you'll wonder why you were scared of it.

fukachu

Likes Bikes
Timmy!!!'s walk through is spot on as is Fop1's call, it easier than you think. It is counter intuitive but you need to accelerate at it, if I could add to Timmy!!!'s advice when you accelerate at it transition your weight slightly to the back of the bike and guide your wheel up onto the 'clam'. This will let your front wheel lift onto the roll and also avoids compressing your fork, and stopping dead. As you correctly put it is all or nothing. However you are better of falling in the gap than overshooting it and going off the back.

Once you get it a couple of times, you'll learn to up the pace and hit it like a burm.

"Do or do not: there is no try"

Cheers,

fop1

Likes Bikes
Timmy!!!'s walk through is spot on as is Fop1's call, it easier than you think. It is counter intuitive but you need to accelerate at it, if I could add to Timmy!!!'s advice when you accelerate at it transition your weight slightly to the back of the bike and guide your wheel up onto the 'clam'. This will let your front wheel lift onto the roll and also avoids compressing your fork, and stopping dead. As you correctly put it is all or nothing. However you are better of falling in the gap than overshooting it and going off the back.

Once you get it a couple of times, you'll learn to up the pace and hit it like a burm.

"Do or do not: there is no try"

Cheers,
lol! Yoda's philosophy applies to everything.

rsclio

Likes Dirt
I rode it in the race yesterday and actually passed someone in the crack at the time. I saw the photo's and were surprised to see how many riders did walk through there.
I did it both laps yesterday but on my practice lap went back for a second attempt after a failed 1st one - that paid off I think!