Boy 9 Dies after being impaled on handlebar

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
:confused: It doesn't say he was impaled by his handlebar and it doesn't say anything about bar ends...............
The poor little buggers would've been cruising around and had a bad accident. Poor kids, so young.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
arh bit sad....
but what are they hoping to prove with his helmet and bike?
News media stories are invariably wrong or at least considerably wanting in accuracy.... it may or may not have been the handlebars which caused the fatality... so the police are correct in looking at all possibilities .... helmet failure, bike modifications, other issues etc etc. And if it turns out that he did actually hit his abdomen into his handlebars, he may have ruptured his spleen just from the force, with or without bar ends. The facts are before the police and coroner to work out. Thankfully we live in a society where people work hard to find the truth - unlike other parts of the world.

Our sincerest condolensce to the family(ies) involved.

Which brings me to my beef ... there seem to be more and more kids riding without helmets these days. I recently reminded a local 12yo, who wasn't wearing a helmet and he couldn't have cared less - even though he lives less than a km from where a local lad was killed.... Maybe it's time for more proactive policing and media attention?

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow, I feel bad for saying something like this when the threads what its about - but fuck me that's an extremely misleading thread title dude.

nexusfish

El Mariachi
News media stories are invariably wrong or at least considerably wanting in accuracy.... it may or may not have been the handlebars which caused the fatality... so the police are correct in looking at all possibilities .... helmet failure, bike modifications, other issues etc etc. And if it turns out that he did actually hit his abdomen into his handlebars, he may have ruptured his spleen just from the force, with or without bar ends. The facts are before the police and coroner to work out. Thankfully we live in a society where people work hard to find the truth - unlike other parts of the world.

Our sincerest condolensce to the family(ies) involved.

Which brings me to my beef ... there seem to be more and more kids riding without helmets these days. I recently reminded a local 12yo, who wasn't wearing a helmet and he couldn't have cared less - even though he lives less than a km from where a local lad was killed.... Maybe it's time for more proactive policing and media attention?
and i have been noticing that a few magazines have been showing photos of bmxers and dirt jumpers without helmets on, which is just plain stupid as the young fellers look up to these guys. It should be 'a no helmet no photo' plicy in these magazines.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
and i have been noticing that a few magazines have been showing photos of bmxers and dirt jumpers without helmets on, which is just plain stupid as the young fellers look up to these guys. It should be 'a no helmet no photo' plicy in these magazines.
I agree, that policy does sound like a bloody good idea. Lets hope it influences everyone to wear the right stuff.
I looked at an Aussie BMX mag last weekend and I saw no helmets on any of the riders in the first half of the mag! That is bloody irresponsible.

Also, not only are there people not wearing helmets but just as bad are people wearing helmets but not having them done up. When you come off an undone helmet will do nothing at all except for flying further than you will.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
...but f*** me that's an extremely misleading thread title dude.
They probably just read the article and jumped to the conclusion.

It is tragic, and condolences to the family.

If you suspect that someone is bleeding internally after an accident it is a good idea to get to hospital ASAP.

And if you do get impaled by a handlebar then DON'T remove it.

Ride safe

scoobydid

Likes Dirt

Riding on the north shore, Sydney I've seen an increasing number of people commuting without helmets; and almost as many with the helmets strapped over the handlebars. These aren't kids either; almost all were adults.

Everyone has an opinion on helmet use but seriously, mixing it with traffic during peak times you would think wearing a helmet would be a good thing.
Sure it's probably not going to protect you from a heavy hit but for smaller collisions it might just save you hundreds of dollars in hospital bills (because your helmet took the impact and split open instead of your skull).

Rid3R13

Likes Dirt
Spot on couldn't agree more.

I see kids riding all the time without helmets, I believe that maybe its not my problem but being experienced as i am with crashes(had a huge one helmet saved my life , thank you fox :D) that it a responsibility to tell the knuckle heads to wear helmets.

Last edited:

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Wow, I feel bad for saying something like this when the threads what its about - but fuck me that's an extremely misleading thread title dude.
Just posting exactly as was put on news.com.au mate I dont make this stuff up for sensationalism.

Last edited:

todd28

Likes Dirt
That heaps sad. But with the helmet issue, DH riders get payed out for wearing full faces when we are just protecting ourselves. I bet all those people who do not where helmets saw our teeth get smashed through our head they would not pay us out. Moto riders are socially aloud to wear full face helmets but not us. I also agree on the no helmet no photo rule for magazines and movies. After all, its just a helmet, there's no sign on it saying ''I AM A DOUCHE BAG''.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
That heaps sad. But with the helmet issue, DH riders get payed out for wearing full faces when we are just protecting ourselves. I bet all those people who do not where helmets saw our teeth get smashed through our head they would not pay us out. Moto riders are socially aloud to wear full face helmets but not us. I also agree on the no helmet no photo rule for magazines and movies. After all, its just a helmet, there's no sign on it saying ''I AM A DOUCHE BAG''.
Oh my gosh I'm so sick of that. Kids with ratties and stupid haircuts and caps the wrong way round shouting out "Why are you wearing a moto helmet ya c*nt!"
It's a fucking downhill helmet. I've got scratches up the back of my helmet that I'm very glad are not on my head instead.
Feel bad for those little kids. Wouldn't have even been riding hard.:(

gilly101

Likes Dirt
Yeah i agree on that "no helmet no photo rule" the more of a showing to the youngens that theres nothing wrong with cruising around with you lid on. After all its so easy to let your gaurd down when your not trying to do pin down a track. I no ive felt like a bit of a tool having stupid crashes after just pedalling to the shops to get milk :eek:
I wonder what a poll on the "no helmet no photo rule" idea would look like?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Yeah i agree on that "no helmet no photo rule" the more of a showing to the youngens that theres nothing wrong with cruising around with you lid on. After all its so easy to let your gaurd down when your not trying to do pin down a track. I no ive felt like a bit of a tool having stupid crashes after just pedalling to the shops to get milk :eek:
I wonder what a poll on the "no helmet no photo rule" idea would look like?
I personally think it's an absolutely bollocks idea.

If letting the children see pictures of people riding with no helmet is irresponsible behaviour then what in the name of sweet baby jesus are we doing showing them pictures of people attacking 10m drops, doing 360 tailwhips of 2m high jumps, balancing trials bikes on staircase railings and screaming down rocky trails at breakneck speeds?

:rolleyes:

Glorified!!!

Likes Bikes
thats incredible. my brother has had that happen to him, but not to that extent. He only got bad bruising to the chest (lucky). My deepest sympathy goes out for that kid